It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:11 am 

LTG, this is an extremely "uphill" argument that I waged over 10 years ago when the Bulls were winning championships. It's no secret that Mac isn't a basketball (NBA) fan, and he can't contain his disdain for the sport.

Ever since MJH was formed I hoped that Jurko would bring more perspective and insight as a former player, I hoped that they would cover the NFL with more insight and analysis by talking to pundits in other cities, instead of one expert who gives his spin. That the "scope" of discussion would extend beyond Bears training camp to other teams, and talk about some of the "sticky" aspects of the game as well as the "sweet" (like, how Matt Millen still has a job, but how his having a job benefits the rest of the NFC North). On a personal level, gambling = fantasy football, and anyone looking forward to hear some "expert" take last weeks results as an indicator of the outcome for the week to come is basically a fool. You could pick your favorites based upon the colors of the team or the team's names and lose your money just as effectively (the only winners are the bookies and the guys who get paid to give picks). Picking someone who scored two touchdowns last week as this week's hot fantasy player is mostly wishful thinking.

As to how compelling last year's football playoffs were? I would readily argue that there isn't a better sporting championship than the NHL. It's "skate or die, win or go home" and its played out every other night. But the sport has been all but banished from television. Yes, this year's NBA had its upsets but I--and I am a fan who watched--can also see the same sloppy play and questionable decision making in basketball that you could cite in football (or maybe it was the refs :?: ).

Its sports. I'm old enough to take out of it what I want and leave the rest for others. I've come to approach sports radio much in the same way. Perhaps that's why I recognize so many of the criticisms and yet can walk away from it. In the final analysis it is just as the radio hosts suggest (too frequently for their own good) change the station/channel if you don't like what's on at the moment.

As Mac used to suggest, "you need to have a plan." I've made one, I listen to sports radio so long as I'm mildly amused and not too aggravated (Teinowitz, North), and if not I don't. It's a plan, trust me it works.

long time guy wrote:
It is difficult for me to argue that the Bears-Colts Superbowl was an exciting one, given the number of turnovers committed on both sides. The Bears were thoroughly outplayed in that game. This is difficult for me to admit, because I too am a lifelong Bear and Football fan. My basic point is that the amount of attention that is paid to football by sports talk radio, particularly during periods when there are other major sports in play, makes it a difficult listen for me. I don't need hourly updates on how Tommie Harris did in the nutcracker drill in practice or how Mushin Muhammed ran the slant pattern, or Rex Grossman's completion percentage in a 7 on 7 drill. It difficult for me to comprehend how a person can advocate such discussion, yet state that the NBA playoffs, which contained first round series that had compelling matchups particularly in the Western conference (Golden State- Dallas) (Utah- Houston). Even in the Second Round you had (San Antonio- Phoenix) (Utah-Golden State). McNeil consistently makes this argument regarding boredom, regardless of the scenario, simply because he does not like basketball. I just believe the show would be better if football was not as emphasized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:38 am 

1) harry was ok...getting worse or more annoying for some reason

2) Dump Monday Night John...or whatever he is now. Rarely funny & listening to Dan's FAKE laugh during his segments is annoying

3) Basically just keep up the banter & interaction with the every day fan...i.e. your listeners. The people help make the show. Keep the corner tavern open such as it were

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Viccinos Pizza in Downtown Glenview.
Juiced wrote:
Replace Harry with Johnny Woo-Woo.

Who's Johnny Woo-Woo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
i think he's ronny's drunken cousin.

Ffuck you mijo. those commercials blow

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
No more letting Harry host the show without Mac and/or Jurko present. When he did the show with (I think it was JD) after the Police concert, all those girls gabbed about was how great the Police concert was. That's why they lost the spring ratings...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Beebo wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:
si meijo

I think we should a segment where we can vote for the most irritating ad running on the station. Whoever "wins" isn't run for the rest of the show... They're "fired"!

"Gentlemen, tired of the nagging, the cold shoulder, and the singles bar"

Post subject: Agreed
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:21 pm 

Uga4Prez wrote:
No more letting Harry host the show without Mac and/or Jurko present. When he did the show with (I think it was JD) after the Police concert, all those girls gabbed about was how great the Police concert was. That's why they lost the spring ratings...

I'm a huge fan of The Police but I listened for no more than five minutes that day. I imagine those who don't care for the band were bored by the discussion while those who do quickly realized Harry less qualified to review their show than to discuss sports on radio. Either way, it leads to a punched button on my radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:38 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
More Northwestern football... what else? :lol:

Fitzgerald interview!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:06 pm 

Bring back the dead pool. I don't care what managment says, tell them they're wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:17 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Uga4Prez wrote:
... tell them they're wrong.

Dead wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:12 pm 

Webbies across America - everyday...classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
have salisbury on weekly during the nfl season

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Nino's in Wheeling
Love the Call Me Segment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Uga4Prez wrote:
... tell them they're wrong.

Dead wrong.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:22 am 

Screen the players that call in for games like "The Indian Game." Have them answer a few test questions BEFORE they get on the air. If that is too hard then dummy down the questions to fit the knowledge level of the average joe.
Nothing is worse then listening to two players that have no clue what day it is try to answer questions. It turns into Mac VS Jurko, with bumbling idiots in the background agreeing with whatever answer you two throw at them.

Also keep talking sports and can the unpluged hour. 6:00 shouldn't become recess time for the hosts. It flows alot smoother into the 7:00 hour when you keep it rolling with sports talk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:12 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
in the contestants defense, most of harry's questions were oddball ones that were pretty fucking tough. mac and jurko didnt even know most of them

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
I second the emotion on getting rid of the unplugged hour... especially if the time slot moves up one hour. I also second the idea of more interviews.

P.S. and limit the "homerism" on those interviews. Mac sounded like Harry when he was laying accolades on Mark Buehrle the other day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:51 pm 

Dude, the interviews suck. Most athletes aren't really interesting. In fact, most people aren't interesting, at least when they're talking about themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hire a fact checker or put somebody in the boyquarium who is old enough to have absorbed some sports history. I often hear stuff on the program that I know is just plain factually wrong. For example, last night, Mac read an email from someone who suggested that the Cubs not appearing in the World Series for 100 years is a great sports record. Cub fans Harry and Jurko agreed. I suppose it would be a great record, if it were true. The Cub last WON a world series in 1908, but have appeared in five of them since then. (The last time the Cub were in the WS was 1945). Hey we all make mistakes and this one is no big deal (though you would think a true Cub fan like Harry or Jurko would have some basic knowledge of his team's history). A grizzled veteran fact checker might come in handy at times like this to gently dab the egg off the hosts' faces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Maybe the show could improve by the hosts not rooting for the home team's main competition? Just a thought.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:26 pm 

I'm interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:26 pm 

Boy, you will not let go of that. Mac's not a Cubs fan, he doesn't have to be. At least he picks a team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:52 pm 

Uga4Prez wrote:
Boy, you will not let go of that. Mac's not a Cubs fan, he doesn't have to be. At least he picks a team.

He wasn't a Brew fan until June. I would have absolutely no issue whatsoever with him rah-rahing the Sox. IN fact I would hope to hell he does.
For interesting CHICAGO sports talk radio, it kind of makes sense to not denigrate the local team.
This is a simple suggestion. No more or less than my personal opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I originally disagreed with DS on this, but if the Sox continue to play winning baseball, I would much prefer Mac to focus on that then the Brewers. Sox baseball has actually been enjoyble to watch for pretty much the first time all season the past 6 games, and I hope it continues. I know they are out of the race and barring an unbelievable comeback arent in the playoff discussion, its still nice to see them win and their young guys develop. If it continues I hope Mac directs non cub baseball talk that way, instead of still rooting for the Brewers and pretending Chicago only has 1 ballclub this year

On that note... my 100th post :wink:

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:29 pm 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
Uga4Prez wrote:

He's constantly picking a team. The Sox are the only goddam constant. If the Reds were in first, he'd be all things Queen City. He's a fan whore to solely irritate Cubs fans. If the Brewers win the NLC at the expense of the Cubs, his rooting interest becomes nominal at best.
It's churlish nonsense.

Post subject: Get a stronger signal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:56 pm 

I listen about 3 blocks from your studio, but down in the loop I can never get good reception--whether in the car or office. But the Score. . .I get that damn channel no matter where I am. What gives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:27 pm 

HappyHour Jason wrote:
I'm interesting.

Yeah you are. I don't know what that guy is talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:09 pm 

Darkside wrote:
He wasn't a Brew fan until June. I would have absolutely no issue whatsoever with him rah-rahing the Sox. IN fact I would hope to hell he does.
For interesting CHICAGO sports talk radio, it kind of makes sense to not denigrate the local team.
This is a simple suggestion. No more or less than my personal opinion.

kerchungathunk wrote:
He's constantly picking a team. The Sox are the only goddam constant. If the Reds were in first, he'd be all things Queen City. He's a fan whore to solely irritate Cubs fans. If the Brewers win the NLC at the expense of the Cubs, his rooting interest becomes nominal at best.
It's churlish nonsense.

You know, he only does that to screw with your heads. In particular, he's screwing with Harry. When the Sox were in first in '05, didn't any of you cheer for Minnesota or Cleveland? I know I was rooting for the Indians that last series they had that season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:52 pm 

Uga4Prez wrote:

You know, he only does that to screw with your heads. In particular, he's screwing with Harry. When the Sox were in first in '05, didn't any of you cheer for Minnesota or Cleveland? I know I was rooting for the Indians that last series they had that season.

I wasn't rooting for anybody.
Couldn't have been more disintrested.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:21 pm 

Even when this show was @ it's best we all had something to bitch about. Harry!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next