It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:50 am 

A few co-workers looked at me cross-eyed 10 years or so ago when I said I spend time socially with listeners I met through the show. "Creepy" is how it was described by one.

I refuse to apologize for my friends. Golfing with 3 Putt Gene in South Carolina was one of the most gut-busting trips I've ever taken. Slapshot Ed and I have been to each other's houses numerous times and are considering partnering on Hawks tickets. Oak Park Vandy and I have been to Vegas... to Austin, Tex. to see the 'Horns. Golfboy (Scorehead 84) have done all that and more... like the NFC Championship in San Francisco in '98. HPK also went. So did Maureen McCormick. I wrestled STU-GOTZ at Ryan Field. When asked, I tried to give Woodridge Ryan a bit of direction with his career desires. Gridiron and I are in a fantasy league together and e-mail almost every day. Elmhurst Steve's buddy, Rich, who I met at the ill-fated Manniversary, recently did a construction project at my house (I don't go to Lowe's to "Do It Yourself.")

I could keep writing, but I think the point has been made (and I apologize to those I missed).
It has been my good fortune to get to know so many funny, good-hearted people through my silly radio shows. I won't apologize for that. I am grateful for it.

This leads me to our upcoming outing to honor HHJ. I've read every post about it -- twice -- and it's obvious this "community" has been brought together in a way that defines the human condition. I hope to see a lot of you a this outing. I'd like to meet the "men behind the curtain" on some of the mystery posters. That especially means you, Good Dolphin, though I suspect we have met on many occasions. Beardown, you in? City of Fools, are we gonna talk about the new era with the Hawks? Score Is Doomed, you gonna help me be more interesting?

The evolution of electronic communication has made it possible for saloonites to exceed the "fraternity" possibilities reached by the old "Scoreheads" in the early '90s. This is a good group. I thank all of you for words of support about Patrick, for compliments and criticisms of the show, and for forming an electronic circle of "friends" that is real. I feel really good about being a participant... and for those in my business who look down their nose at something like that... I feel sorry for them they're missing out on the chance to make more friends. Nobody can have too many friends.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:06 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
well put Mac.
this board and these friends we have made have helped many of us, in many ways over the past 3 years or so.
"i met these guys on the internet" is not as creepy as it once was......still sounds creepy though. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:12 am 

Doug, you're yet another example of what friendship means. Our talks about autism... battling depression... Bob Marley... parenting... it's all good. It's only "creepy" if the only common denominator is the dumb radio show. In our case -- as in many cases -- that is not what KEEPS us talking and hanging out, e-mailing, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:28 am 

Agreed; I get teased by my sister about my "internet friends" or "radio show friends" or whatever, and it's mostly just light chiding, but i don't care...you guys mean a lot to me, and i've never been ashamed or afraid to admit that.

though it's rare now for me to be able to get out and go to an "event" (not a remote!) i've always enjoyed them, and if you guys ever make it out toward the lisle area, i'm DEFINITELY in.

but for this upcoming one, i'm gonna do my best to get out there; but, like i said in the thread, probably won't be until way after 5pm. so i just hope some of you are still there. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:32 am 
1000 CLUB

I agree. If we were really all d-bags in person, we wouldn't hang out.

This community that bigfan spawned is more than just sportsradio, t.v., print, etc...
and that has been obvious to all of us who visit/post regularly this past week.

off to make some coffee, read the sports, and listen to some Bob....

BEARSsss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I get teased regularly by my wife for the amount of time I have spent here (that one's for you Chris_in_Joliet :wink: ), but like (I think) good dolphin said, as I get older, I find myself losing touch with friends from the past. Also, since losing my job and staying home with the kids more, this board makes up a lot of my contact with the "outside" world.

As has been evidenced recently, this is much more than just a stupid message board.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:43 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Agree, Mac. I echoed your feelings in this thread a couple days ago; viewtopic.php?f=100&t=25613

The internets thing....I'll give people that. I suppose it still could seem a tad creepy. I won't apolgize for it either, but I can see some peoples' point on it.

Meeting and befriending listeners thru the show...Why in the world would that be creepy? I see no difference between that, and the guitarist of a band meeting his wife/girlfriend while playing a show.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Mac- That's the main thing I've always respected about you; you stick to your guns and don't take any shit. Nobody should ever be ashamed or have to apologize for who they're friends with, not matter how they met them. As Ringo once sang, "I get by with a little help from my friends", although he may have a few less after his recent statements. :wink:

I've lost touch with a lot of friends through the years and I've even made the effort to reach out, but for whatever reason some don't ever respond. I haven't met very many of the people on the board except for Frank, but I hope to meet more sometime in the future at one of the events. This is such a great forum and I think I'm now addicted to it. :shock:
Thank God for the minimize button when I'm at work.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Mac wrote:
. "Creepy" is how it was described by one.

Dictionary Face?

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Im in. One way or another. Ill be there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
I'll see what I can do.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Somehow it's creepy to be friends with people on the internet, but it's okay to screw people you meet on the internet?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

I've got long thoughts on 'people you meet on message boards'.

I've probably got more in common with them - than some of my friends since childhood, who I have 'grown away from' because they are either overmarried or we simply don't share common interests any longer. They're still my friends, but it's more because of what we've been through in our youth, and just 'gettin' together to play poker, take in a sporting event or shoot the shit'.

My wife regularly criticizes me for friendships I've made through the web, but I don't particularly give a crap. She could complain to her two friends about it. Perhaps she's jealous, who knows. Who cares?

I could understand why some people in "Mac's media business" may find it odd - but to each his own. If it works for you - then so be it. Just NMPMP. No More Phil Mogg Please ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Sometimes I say to my husband "wait on that decision I want to see what the people on the message board think." :lol:

Our college friends are all long distance and I don't really fit in with my high school friends anymore. The other moms in my area are alright but it is a very superficial relationship. I think what I enjoy about you people is the fact that there are no conditions or expectations. It is a make believe world here and the involvement is completely determined by me as much or as little as I want. It doesn't matter if we piss off or make each other happy because there aren't many consequences associated with it. Most people are here for a good time, sports, and a little support at times. It's a pretty positive experience.

Don't go sucking each others dicks though. You guys are all creepy. :P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:07 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Colonel Angus wrote:
it's okay to screw people you meet on the internet?

Mike North says, "Yes."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Mac, I'll talk hockey anytime with ya, even as a confirmed B&B fan. Thanks for the mention again. If I can make it, rest assured I will be there. And get that hockey get-together going if you can...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:52 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Mac, I have always thought that the fact that you paid attention to things like this message board, kept you in better touch with your listeners. Probably gave you some ideas for show topics and ways to improve segments too. It does not surprise me, that some people feel no desire to interact here. But I think they are missing out. When the MJH team goes on a remote, the reason that some people might bother to make the trip, is not just that they enjoy the work you 3 do on the radio, but the interactions that people have with you (Dan) right here on the boards, as well.

The title for this thread is a funny one to me, as guys like Rich (who you mention I had introduced to you) who are good friends of mine, often are a bit rough around the edges. They are filled with flaws and do and say things that sometimes make me cringe. But I accept their flaws and never appologize for them. They are my friends and I am glad of it. Besides, guys with glaring flaws tend to get into situations that create wonderful stories to tell years later. Makes life a bit more interesting and entertaining. I'll try to make the remote with Rich and see which ones we want to dredge up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:01 am 

The Gridiron Assassin wrote:
...who I have 'grown away from' because they are either overmarried...

Grid,

it's a new week.. but so far, you win. :) overmarried.. hehe.

On the topic at hand.. I'll go figure out when/where this get together is and if I'm scheduled to be home, I'll see about making plans.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:15 am 
1000 CLUB

The Gridiron Assassin wrote:
...who I have 'grown away from' because they are either overmarried...

Sam in Hoffman wrote:

Grid,

it's a new week.. but so far, you win. :) overmarried.. hehe.

On the topic at hand.. I'll go figure out when/where this get together is and if I'm scheduled to be home, I'll see about making plans.

Hell, I was married before about half of my buds, and even then they were overmarried. I vividly remember calling them up after I got back from my honeymoon to see if they wanted to go out the following weekend. They told me they'd have to check with their girlfriend to see if it was OK. They were already wearing the ball and chain, but they were to naive to realize it. ;)

Last edited by The Gridiron Assassin on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:27 am 
1000 CLUB

Yes, Mac has the Red Bull stains on his walls and carpeting to prove I've been to his house a few times. The funny thing about Mac is that he brings men together and the names he mentioned like 3 Putt , STU, Grid , GolfBoy and HPK and Vandy are guys whom I became friends with and are truly great guys to spend time with and the laughter is non stop and I wished we all spent more time together.

The people from the Scorehead group from years gone by would take fishing trips together, meet for College football games, had fantasy teams with each other, been to each others houses and any other type of excuse you can think of to get together but like with everything else in life we grew older and went our seperate ways. I miss the bonding with true Chicago sports fans and with having a family and work becoming the the focus these days I want to get back to having fun and enjoying the fun things in life .

I have met many of you here and you all remind me of the fun days we used to have when Mac and Terry would have remotes in their Heavy fuel days and that will be hard to top with those crowds but this group is a blast and I enjoy seeing the old guard as well so Mac you name the place and Jonzie (stu) and I will be there to pay tribute to Julie.

We have lost great people over the years in Raffie from Berwyn and Steve O who many remember as "Dirty deeds done dirt cheap" and now Julie and that's 3 to many in my book.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:52 am 

Mac wrote:
A few co-workers looked at me cross-eyed 10 years or so ago when I said I spend time socially with listeners I met through the show. .

This really is a topic on its own. Your business perpetuates the disconnect as "talent" is told the sponsors are your consumers. While that may be true, listeners should be viewed as the quasi agent of the sponsor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:09 am 

TeeLander wrote:
English please

I have heard on air talent on several occasions describe the sponsors, and not the listeners as the consumers. This is true, as the sponsors are the ones who pay the bills. However, the sponsors have no real loyalty to any shows or stations, they are following where the listeners take them. So it seems logical that talent would curry the favor of a listener as much as a sponsor. Instead, we are viewed as a faceless horde who craves the attention of talent above all else in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:26 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Instead, we are viewed as a faceless horde who craves the attention of talent above all else in the world.

I'm glad there's no one like that around here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I'll try and make this one. Unless it's at Blarney Island or BWW in Round Lake Beach, it's tough for me to get there as I live in "almost Wisconsin". I have attended 2 remotes, but quietly stayed back in isolation. I'll look forward to hearing about the details.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

you do?
where do you live?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:09 pm 

Lake Villa

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

shit...man.
i'm a 20 minute drive up 83 from you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:21 pm 

I did attend a remote at BWW Round Lake Beach a year or two ago, but I mostly hung back in isolation with another buddy. I think I had only been on the board a short time at that point. The place was jammed for the remote. I also did one of the first MJH remotes at the Cell... it was a rainy afternoon and the game never even started. At the time, I had no idea the guys would have been that approachable. Jeez, this goes back to the year David Wells was here (ugh). I should have stepped up and introduced myself to Mac. After all, I must have been one of the most pressing individuals on getting the return of Button 48.

I'll definitely try and make whatever remote is setup for Julie. Very few women seem to really "get" guys like she did and i regret never meeting her in person. "I need to do my job A LOT better."

My wife defintiely makes fun of me for the message board and thinks I'll meet a 'stalker', but oh well. I'm sury Harry will defend me and tell any kind of potential attacker to "kiss his sack."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:56 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
My wife defintiely makes fun of me for the message board and thinks I'll meet a 'stalker', but oh well.

Yeah. I'd definitely try to avoid those guys who quietly stay back in isolation. They always turn out to be the mass murderers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Yeah the new GF also makes fun of me for having "internet friends", especially when I told her that I invited a few of you to watch the De La Hoya fight last year at my house. I'm going to make her come out to one of these things soon.