It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:20 am 

Don't miss the Sun-Times tomorrow. Unless it finds its way to the cutting room floor... thoughts offered on the return of North & Jiggetts... recent radio ratings... Darryl Hawks and NBC-5 (what media column would be complete without it?)... and Comcast Sports Net. The hook: the Cubs, White Sox, Bears and Bulls weren't alone in stinking up the city in 2008.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:23 am 

Mac wrote:
Don't miss the Sun-Times tomorrow. Unless it finds its way to the cutting room floor... thoughts offered on the return of North & Jiggetts... recent radio ratings... Darryl Hawks and NBC-5 (what media column would be complete without it?)... and Comcast Sports Net. The hook: the Cubs, White Sox, Bears and Bulls weren't alone in stinking up the city in 2008.

Mariiotti leaving was the biggest media story of the year. Can I expect a few paragraphs on the Reinsdorf Harrellson tormentor?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Mac wrote:

Spraying to all fields on this one. Take it easy on the Sox, Mac. I would say they were the least dissapointing (tallest midget award). Im very curious to read your true thoughts on North & Jiggs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:37 am 

Mariotti is implicated.

No White Sox or any other team's broadcasts are addressed.

It has been green-lighted and will run, both on-line and in traditional print edition.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:41 am 

Mac wrote:
Mariotti is implicated.

No White Sox or any other team's broadcasts are addressed.

It has been green-lighted and will run, both on-line and in traditional print edition.

Its refreshing...I thought you might pretend the guy never existed because of the paper you work for.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:51 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
If we are talking solely play on the field, the Sox are most certainly the least dissapointing. I know they left October with a resounding thud, but to win a Division Title a year after losing 90 games is no small feat in my eyes.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:53 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
If we are talking solely play on the field, the Sox are most certainly the least dissapointing. I know they left October with a resounding thud, but to win a Division Title a year after losing 90 games is no small feat in my eyes.

Exactly. They can't be lumped with the Cubs. Same result but very different expectations...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:49 am 

The sky exceeded my expectations. I know their name. Great Progress

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
dude, everybody knows there's a sky in Chicago. There's one in China even...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I can't wait for Mac's latest column, especially the shots towards NBC 5's Daryl Hawks, who I also can't stand! :x :x :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Earlier in 2008 the Chicago Fire picked a coach worse than Vinny Del Negro, I'm sure that will be addressed as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

Should be an interesting read. Other than the White Sox and Blackhawks - no Chicago team really significantly exceeded anybody's expectations. The Bears a little bit I guess.

Anything critical of Marriotti is a good read imho.

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I like the fact that they were calling him Tony Hawks the other day....I wonder if they realized that they were calling him the skateboarder guy's name, or if they even cared!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I'm on pins and needles awaiting aparicio's review!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

spmack wrote:
I like the fact that they were calling him Tony Hawks the other day....I wonder if they realized that they were calling him the skateboarder guy's name, or if they even cared!

I wonder if they realized (or cared) that they were calling him by the skateboarder guy's wrong name.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:36 pm 

Killer V wrote:
I'm on pins and needles awaiting aparicio's review!!

Let's see...

Once again Dan McNeil shows us that he has no business writing a column in my beloved newspaper. I know they're only paying him a few sawbucks, but enough is enough. I could write better when I was in the third grade, and nobody even threw a few sawbucks my way. Stick to the radio. I hear you get quite a few sawbucks doing that. I'm cranky...and old...SAWBUCKS!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:00 pm 

Anybody with teenage kids knows who Tony Hawk is.....

It's not a SPORTS column, Frankie C. It's all about those who COVER sports locally.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

NBC5 doesn't seem to truly cover sports, but we're talking an awful lot about them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:50 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
NBC5 doesn't seem to truly cover sports, but we're talking an awful lot about them.

Frank, NBC5 believes in a "team approach" when it comes to local sports coverage. It seems like ever since Mark Giangreco went to ABC7 in the mid '90s, the death of Darrian Chapman a few years ago, and when Ryan Baker switched over to CBS2, NBC5 seems to have gone to a "team approach" and a different sportscaster everyday. They have different sports anchors such as the awful Daryl Hawks one day, the attractive Paula Faris another, the bumbling Mike Adamle another, and even Bruce Wolf...Bruce's contract wasn't renewed, but when Baker went over to CBS, they brought him back on a free lance basis. I think of it as a "sportscaster by committee", kinda like "closer by committee" in baseball. I don't think it works...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:51 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Frank, NBC5 believes in a "team approach" when it comes to local sports coverage. It seems like ever since Mark Giangreco went to ABC7 in the mid '90s, the death of Darrian Chapman a few years ago, and when Ryan Baker switched over to CBS2, NBC5 seems to have gone to a "team approach" and a different sportscaster everyday. They have different sports anchors such as the awful Daryl Hawks one day, the attractive Paula Faris another, the bumbling Mike Adamle another, and even Bruce Wolf...Bruce's contract wasn't renewed, but when Baker went over to CBS, they brought him back on a free lance basis. I think of it as a "sportscaster by committee", kinda like "closer by committee" in baseball. I don't think it works...

what im sorry i dont understand im gonna need a translation...Kid?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:56 pm 

I tried to make sense of what NBC5 has done with its sports coverage, which to me is the equivalent of a "closer by committee" in baseball...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:57 pm 

SHARK wrote:
I tried to make sense of what NBC5 has done with its sports coverage, which to me is the equivalent of a "closer by committee" in baseball...

How did it feel to only type 2 lines SHARK. I bet you feel dirty. Your probably in the shower right now coming up with more strained comparisons

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:06 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
SHARK wrote:

How did it feel to only type 2 lines SHARK. I bet you feel dirty. Your probably in the shower right now coming up with more strained comparisons

:lol: :lol: :lol: I don't feel dirty, RogersPark...I'm calling it as I see it. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:07 pm 

SHARK wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
SHARK wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I don't feel dirty, RogersPark...I'm calling it as I see it. :wink:

1 line? Baby steps SHARK baby steps

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:08 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
1 line? Baby steps SHARK baby steps

She seems to be turning over a new leaf. You go girl...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
SHARK wrote:
I'm calling it as I see it. :wink:

And that's why you'll be big someday kid, BIG, I tell you. Big! Think about it. It's gonna shut em all up, ain't it sharky? Yeah, when yer BIG.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:57 pm 

Location: A little town called none of your god-damned business
Why that "column", and I use that term very loosely, is an abomination and absolute piece of...oh, its not out yet...I have to wait until tomorrow? Never mind.

:lol: :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:21 pm 

Your attitude is the only abomination.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

Thanks for bringing up Mike Adamle's name in this thread. He's JUST AS BAD as 'Tony' Hawks. I heard him do some sportscast over the holiday and the guy was stumbling over every other sentence.

I don't understand Larry Wert. He's a very well respected professional.

Yet he's loyal to Bruce Wolf and Peggy Kusinski from their time at WLUP.

Adamle is brutal. He's living proof of an anal contraception. A butt fucking and then the jizz runs out, over the taint and into the clam.

Darryl Hawks is some golly gee wiz kid that probably would work for free to work in a major market. (He reminds me of a young Jon Kelly)

Paula Farris is easy on the eyes, and seems like a down to earth and likable person - but she truly is the tallest midget at NBC5. But she's a keeper.

Shove the enema up the sports department's ass - and clean 'em out.

Then at the end of the you have Paula, Carrie Sayers and hell.... get Ryan Schiverini for crying out loud.

Out with the old and in with the new - make it happen Mr. Wert!

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:37 pm 

Whatever happened to bumbling, stumbling Jon Kelley? I could have sworn he shifted to entertainment and I thought I saw him on "Extra" a couple years ago...