It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The baseball season started today and not a single person in the United States seems to know.

Wrong. The Dodgers are 2-0. Still, it's probably not the smartest move to begin the season of America's Pastime in a foreign country. They should leave the gimmicks to clown leagues like the NFL where the rules change every season.

Except by changing Opening Day they have also made themselves a clown league. It was the biggest thing they always had over every other sport, and they fucked it up. And they're trying their best to fuck up the playoffs too. Eventually they'll have over half the league get in like the NBA and NHL.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The baseball season started today and not a single person in the United States seems to know.

Wrong. The Dodgers are 2-0. Still, it's probably not the smartest move to begin the season of America's Pastime in a foreign country. They should leave the gimmicks to clown leagues like the NFL where the rules change every season.

Except by changing Opening Day they have also made themselves a clown league. It was the biggest thing they always had over every other sport, and they fucked it up. And they're trying their best to fuck up the playoffs too. Eventually they'll have over half the league get in like the NBA and NHL.

I agree. As I said, ill-advised.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Opening day is fine. Most everyone still looks to the first Monday when all the teams are playing as opening day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:31 pm 

Australia's Pastime.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:31 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Opening day is fine. Most everyone still looks to the first Monday when all the teams are playing as opening day.

But the problem is that it's not opening day anymore. It's now just the day that all the rest of the teams start playing. I'm not sure how you can say it's not diminished. If you think it's not, then sure that is fine. But if die hard fans like JORR and casual fans like me both think it's diminished, I'm sure there's a ton of people all in between who feel the same way.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:37 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
But the problem is that it's not opening day anymore. It's now just the day that all the rest of the teams start playing. I'm not sure how you can say it's not diminished. If you think it's not, then sure that is fine. But if die hard fans like JORR and casual fans like me both think it's diminished, I'm sure there's a ton of people all in between who feel the same way.

Except it is opening day...for the 26 teams that didn't play games the week or the night before, and more importantly, for their fans. The idea that "opening day" is ruined because a couple teams played a few games the week before in Australia is absurd. Most fans don't give a shit...opening day is when their team starts playing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:39 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Except it is opening day...for the 26 teams that didn't play games the week or the night before, and more importantly, for their fans. The idea that "opening day" is ruined because a couple teams played a few games the week before in Australia is absurd. Most fans don't give a shit...opening day is when their team starts playing.
I guess there just aren't that many baseball fans. There are just fans of missing work in April.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:45 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It's not absurd at all, at least not any more than being a sports fan is itself. It's fine if you think nothing has changed. It's clear many people disagree.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:48 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It's not absurd at all, at least not any more than being a sports fan is itself. It's fine if you think nothing has changed. It's clear many people disagree.

"Many" is a pretty loose term to be used here...I just don't see the mass outcry that you would think is going on the way you are telling it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:52 pm 

That surprises me. I don't pay nearly the attention to baseball that you do, but I've heard more people criticizing it than saying they support it when the topic is discussed. And I think the term many is accurate. I never said a % or even a majority. But it's obvious that JORR, Brick, and I aren't the only ones who don't like it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:56 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
That surprises me. I don't pay nearly the attention to baseball that you do, but I've heard more people criticizing it than saying they support it when the topic is discussed. And I think the term many is accurate. I never said a % or even a majority. But it's obvious that JORR, Brick, and I aren't the only ones who don't like it.

Oh, I don't doubt many people criticize it...I'm pretty sure I'm on record saying it's fucking stupid that they have major league teams playing on the other side of the world to opening their seasons (if not, well, here it is)...but that doesn't mean it has ruined "Opening Day" for me in the least, and I think a lot of the baseball fans would agree with that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:30 pm 

Ok so we agree it's fucking stupid. And short of simply not playing baseball, I doubt anything could ruin Opening Day for you. :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:32 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Ok so we agree it's fucking stupid. And short of simply not playing baseball, I doubt anything could ruin Opening Day for you. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:33 pm 

I'm glad this got resolved. WE got a big game against UNC coming up in a few hours.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:35 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I'm glad this got resolved. WE got a big game against UNC coming up in a few hours.

You know it...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:03 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
FavreFan wrote:
They should leave the gimmicks to clown leagues like the NFL where the rules change every season.
Since the start of the 2011 season MLB has added replay, since modified replay to allow NFL like challenges this year, allowed teams to carry a 26th player on days they play a doubleheader, added a play in game for their "postseason", eliminated the 'fake to third throw the first' pickoff attempt, and no longer allow the catcher to be run over. There are probably even others that I cannot think of right now.

Not really a point that fits your case here, JOrr. Obviously MLB changes their rules just as often.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16