It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Harry to Rehab
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
maybe "Coffee Talk with Carmen, Jurko and Harry"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
What about "The Afternoon Wagon"?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

doug - evergreen park wrote:
so very classy of the tribune to mention Mac in the article...

So are his little feelings hurt? TFB. He's lucky that's all they mentioned.

Time for you to go back to your little text and facebook buddy, slurpy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Score is doomed wrote:
so very classy of the tribune to mention Mac in the article...

So are his little feelings hurt? TFB. He's lucky that's all they mentioned.

meh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Score is doomed wrote:

I don't get it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I will continue to never listen to that show regardless of whether he is back, fired, drunk, stoned or sober.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Sausage
The show is worse without harry. Jurko has no one to make fun of; therefor there is zero comedy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:06 pm 
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Actually his motivation for entering rehab is not moot...it's critical to his success. If he's doing it for any other reason than a strong personal desire to change then he is wasting everyone's time. The facts are that most people dealing with this type of addiction will relapse. Just going through the motions has almost no chance of success. I wish him the best though.

This.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's in Rockford
I know for a fact he is an excellent rehabilitation program. I cannot be more specific, but the place he is at will give him the tools he needs. It is totally up to him to make the commitment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Actually his motivation for entering rehab is not moot...it's critical to his success. If he's doing it for any other reason than a strong personal desire to change then he is wasting everyone's time. The facts are that most people dealing with this type of addiction will relapse. Just going through the motions has almost no chance of success. I wish him the best though.

there are many different motivations for a person to enter rehab. the threat of losing ones job is one of them. that is no less motivational a reason than the threat of losing a spouse or a child over an addiction, or simply wanting to clean oneself up for no particular reason other than self-respect. in that regard, the motivation is moot, as long as you are there, and dedicated to your particular reason. simply dismissing harrys reasoning for entering as "he's just doing it to save his job" as though that is an invalid motivation is unfair. If my job were in the balance and i was asked to do this, i might not be thrilled with it or even agree with it but if i needed my job and had a family depending on it, id sure be committed, even if it was just to save my job.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
bigfan wrote:
This is like when an athlete finds god! After he slept with a few women, not being his wife.

John Kitna wrote:
Fuckin A right. :thumright:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

I don't think it's genuine by Harry. Like many have said, it's a ploy to keep his job. :( ESPN will look like a-holes if they fire a guy going to rehab. Harry's lawyers advised him on this move. Harry will be at the bar after every rehab meeting.

I also think Harry's Dad ordered him to do this with the threat of taking him out of the will. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: papa johns
His motivations may both be professional and personal, so I don't really care why he's going. We all do things we don't want when there's a benefit. The question of long-term sobriety will be answered by whether or not he truly feels he has a problem.

As far as the show is concerned. You can't have a show called the Afternoon Saloon while there is a guy in recovery there. You can't expect the guy to show up at remotes at bars if you have any understanding of true recovery.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It often takes a significant event in a persons life (an accident, DUI, losing a job, being left by their spouse) for a person with alcohol/substance abuse problems to realize they need to make changes. I will refrain from judging whether or not Harry made this decision to seek help because of the prospect of losing his job (if he did not). The important thing is that he has the opportunity now to make positive changes and it is my hope that he does. I think that by virtue of the show doing remotes from taverns as often as they do, Harry's sobriety will be difficult to maintain. Part of trying to alter his behavior would normally involve removing himself from places where his sobriety might be in danger. But how can he do that, when his job involves broadcasting from bars regularly?? I wish him the best of luck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
considering Harry really is doing this to save a job and I don't blame him for that, can't he take an online rehab stint and be done by his court date on the 23rd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:52 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
bigfan wrote:
considering Harry really is doing this to save a job and I don't blame him for that, can't he take an online rehab stint and be done by his court date on the 23rd

University of Phoenix rehab.

Clean and sober in half the time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:30 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
I picture Harry sitting in rehab with the smirk like his mugshot. When is this over so I can go party?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:29 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I've only skimmed this thread so if this has been said already forgive me.

Maybe its the cynic in me, but I don't think he is doing this JUST to save his job. He doesn't need the money this job brings him. Maybe for him, he needs the fame and other recognition that comes from being a host on a sports yacker, but he doesn't need the money. Maybe the his Fatha or the powers that be with this trust fund made him do this.

But it also wouldn't surprise if that he realized his been fucking up and that he's been quite lucky many times and decided to better himself for his family. Maybe thats hard for some of you to believe, but not for me.

The fact is, we don't know why he's doing it. And thats fine, its really none of our goddammed business anyway. I just wish the guy luck with the whole thing.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:34 am 

He actually needs this job because what the fuck else is he gonna do?

This job is the only way the party continues. Otherwise, he ends up like Tommy Boy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:52 am 

He will need an entire lifestyle change if he wants to stop drinking. That will most likely have to include no longer going to Cub games as, from my limited observations, that is one of the triggers for a day of boozing.

Good luck to him. I wouldn't say he's got a huge problem with drinking, but he was just not acting properly for a 50 year old father and husband with a young family. Being a good father to young children leaves almost no time for heavy drinking.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:55 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Whatever his true motivation to go to rehab, the fact is that he is going. That much is a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:01 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Being a good father to young children leaves almost no time for heavy drinking.

Well said

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:20 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
I've seen people come into rehab with only the motivation of getting their license back, and stay sober for decades. It's not always what gets you there, it's just getting there period. Harry may not think he has a problem, but he may hear that one thing that changes his life. I wish him nothing but the best. It is ultimately up to him what he gets out of the experience.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:30 pm 

bigfan wrote:
This is like when an athlete finds god! After he slept with a few women, not being his wife.

To think he is doing this to "get better" is just naive. His primary goal with this is a legal strategy.

Doesn't mean he can't stop drinking, but why does it take getting stopped to see a problem exists? The other drinking issues didnt raise the red flag?

This is just being done in advance of his court date. Maybe he can be cured by the 23rd?

So No more Beer for Harry? Who will be sponsored by Beer and Tequilla companies at events?

It is called hitting rock bottom.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:41 pm 

I think you guys are being overly dramatic.

Harry is doing this to keep the party going, not to stop it. If he didn't go to rehab, he'd lose his job and have to find something else and really work for a living. Can't fire him if he goes into rehab first. Fathuh would cut him off.

Harry actually screwed himself with a prenup. The wife isn't going anywhere.

So he goes through the motions in rehab, gets his old job back, and the party goes on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:
He will need an entire lifestyle change if he wants to stop drinking. That will most likely have to include no longer going to Cub games as, from my limited observations, that is one of the triggers for a day of boozing.

Good luck to him. I wouldn't say he's got a huge problem with drinking, but he was just not acting properly for a 50 year old father and husband with a young family. Being a good father to young children leaves almost no time for heavy drinking.

Doesnt leave much time for moderate to light drinking either GD :) . Not when your offspring is up at 7am on weekends looking for you.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Barracco's in The EP.
I'm no fan of Harry, either on the air or off.

But I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs before someone gets hurt - be it his family or an innocent person on the road. He'll find out quickly in rehab if he's sincere about a lifestyle change or not - if he's not, my assumption is that the consequences he will have to face will be severe, both from ESPN and from his family.

Selfishly, I hope he gets sober in the process and has an epiphany that he should host overnight Methodist radio in Arkansas.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: dina's famous
Harry was always nice to me at remotes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
I think you guys are being overly dramatic.

Harry is doing this to keep the party going, not to stop it. If he didn't go to rehab, he'd lose his job and have to find something else and really work for a living. Can't fire him if he goes into rehab first. Fathuh would cut him off.

Harry actually screwed himself with a prenup. The wife isn't going anywhere.

So he goes through the motions in rehab, gets his old job back, and the party goes on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:40 pm 

Jeez have all of you been thru rehab?

Almost every post in here oozes "Ive been thru it man "

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next