It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Hatchetman wrote:
How any of you guys can listen to anything managed by ESPN is beyond me. Everything is controled by the puppet strings. You have no idea what is real.

Like OKC mentioned earlier, I have listened to Harry maybe 15-30 minutes in his 13 years on the air. That is really all that needs to be said.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I love the station
I love the show
I love the sausage patty... Oh wait, maybe I have to rethink this.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
doug - evergreen park wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Martin wrote:
Per Robert Feder... show will continue with just Carmen and Jurko.

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/ ... rnoon-show

Just read the Feder article. Harry didn't even know it was his last day. They fired him after yesterday's show ended. I'll bet Carm and Jurko knew. I kind of think Jurko is happy. Carm, like his sports radio commentary, has no opinion one way or the other.

Though Carm and Jurko know the pressure in on them now. They know they could be next.

That is how ESPN operates. Mac didn't know it was his last day either.

I actually remember that day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:50 pm 

Instead of a "no compete" clause, I bet Harry's contract had a "please compete" clause.

The guy has been the cockroach of Chicago radio, surviving format changes and talent removals for 20+ years with no discernable talent.

I never want a person to lose his job but Harry and his family will be comfortable.

It should be one helluva party tonight at O'Hagen's if anyone wants to meet up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Instead of a "no compete" clause, I bet Harry's contract had a "please compete" clause.

The guy has been the cockroach of Chicago radio, surviving format changes and talent removals for 20+ years with no discernable talent.

I never want a person to lose his job but Harry and his family will be comfortable.

It should be one helluva party tonight at O'Hagen's if anyone wants to meet up.

And there it is.

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:57 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Only having listened to Harry Teinowitz maybe 5 times total, I get that everyone thinks he's horrible but I don't have as much perspective as others. Is it possible that there would be interest from the Score? I could see him as a third wheel on the Mully and Hanley show.

Harry was soul-crushingly awful.

Really? Worse than a Laurence Holmes or Mike Mulligan? That's hard to imagine.

Until Laurence's insecurities kick in and he starts with the "look how hetero/look how tough I am" bullshit he can actually sound like a professional broadcaster. Harry is incapable of that on ANY level. He is one of the least funny people on earth, and as a radio host he's an insufferable homer and ass-kisser who will ask players probing questions like "How awesome is it when you hit a home run?" or "What do you think about all those awesome fans who fill the seats to cheer you on?"

I really haven't listened to that show since Mac left but Harry also used to make a lot of comments about how hot waitresses or player's wives were, and while they may very well have been hot, they way he did it made him sound like a leering perv.

Mulligan is a pretty awful radio host, but Harry is still worse.

Harry is in his own category of bad. Mac actually helped him by not letting his unfunny bits get on the air. Left to his own devices, Harry puts on a show that is part hack catskills comedy and sports jock sniffer. Fuck, I remember those days of Harry and Spike.

Failed actor
Failed stand up comedian
Failed radio host

I have no doubt he'll end up with shits at WGN though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:00 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Agreed with everything dolphin....but if Mitch employs Larry, is it that hard to conceive a Harry job hire?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:02 pm 

312player wrote:
Agreed with everything dolphin....but if Mitch employs Larry, is it that hard to conceive a Harry job hire?

Wait a minute. Didn't Harry say bad things a while back about Mitch Rosen?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:05 pm 

312player wrote:

Yes. At his worst Lawrence is light years better than Harry.

Harry had four things going for him. He had no dignity. He was willing to work cheap. He had a psychological inferiority complex that required him to kiss an unconscionable amount of ass. He was the correct ethnicity. There was nothing else. He is basically the kid in high school who got to hang around because he bought cool kids stuff and could drive to every party.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:06 pm 

SHARK wrote:
312player wrote:

Mitch isn't hiring anyone who would get in the career path of his fair haired boy Sir.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:09 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
SHARK wrote:
312player wrote:

Mitch isn't hiring anyone who would get in the career path of his fair haired boy Sir.

That's why I don't think The SCORE is hiring Harry. It remains to be heard if Laurence gives Harry a forum on his "Mixtape Monday" segment later this month.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I do wish they had chosen to slide Harry (if he would have agreed to it) into the 7pm-11pm slot and let Hood go instead. Harry is much more knowledgeable and could have done fine there. I guess they can pay Hood a lot less to fill that role though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:11 pm 

I'm telling you, Harry is going to end up being a Hack at WGN doing odd shifts and being uncomedic relief to Kaplan's show. His humor will appeal to those old fucks who think Garry Meier is cutting edge and his Cubs asskissery will be highly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:13 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I do wish they had chosen to slide Harry (if he would have agreed to it) into the 7pm-11pm slot and let Hood go instead. Harry is much more knowledgeable and could have done fine there. I guess they can pay Hood a lot less to fill that role though.

You are off your freaking rocker.

Harry knows uniform numbers.

Even if he did know anyting about sports it always gets filtered through his lollipops and rainbows brain before the analysis comes out of his mouth.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:14 pm 

and yes, I would love to see Julius Cesar at the Shakespeare, but that hardly seems relevant right now

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:18 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
C'mon. We all know why Steve would rather hear Harry during that slot than Hoodie...

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:19 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
C'mon. We all know why Steve would rather hear Harry during that slot than Hoodie...

Anyone other than Jonathan Hood would be an upgrade, Frank. Well, almost anyone...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
good dolphin wrote:

One of the better unintended slips of the day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:20 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Even if he did know anyting about sports it always gets filtered through his lollipops and rainbows brain before the analysis comes out of his mouth.

You are so wrong. talk to him about anything from who was the leading rusher, MVP or made a key play in a Super Bowl (you name which one) and he will know. Who was MVP in any sport or won the scoring title, cy Young award or was rookie of the year, chances are good he knows. the guy watches more sports than anyone broadcasting. Pro or College, he knowsthe teams, players and coaches. You may hate the guy, but don't discredit the man. His humor may be awfully redundant (rolodex of humor) but he is knowledgeable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:22 pm 

Fettuchini and the Franchise.......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

He was also a drunk and a pot head into his 50s. I don't give him credit for watching sports.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong!

Let me be the first to propose Carmen, Jurko, & Hoodie!

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:28 pm 

Dallas Winston wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Let me be the first to propose Carmen, Jurko, & Hoodie!

And.....you are the first to be shot down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:28 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

You are so wrong. talk to him about anything from who was the leading rusher, MVP or made a key play in a Super Bowl (you name which one) and he will know. Who was MVP in any sport or won the scoring title, cy Young award or was rookie of the year, chances are good he knows. the guy watches more sports than anyone broadcasting. Pro or College, he knowsthe teams, players and coaches. You may hate the guy, but don't discredit the man. His humor may be awfully redundant (rolodex of humor) but he is knowledgeable.

There is a big difference between retaining data and being able to intelligently analyze it.

As Mac said so many years ago, he has no credibility.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
good dolphin wrote:

Freudian slip??? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I can memorize a list of Super Bowl MVPs and Cy Young Award winners too, Steve. It doesn't mean I'm qualified to talk sports. Same goes for Harry.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I think Mac mentioned that Harry has to lay low for 4 weeks, contractually.

I was not a Harry fan but that's a shitty way to can somebody. I also respected what he did after the "Call the Mayor" incident. Seemed to have turned it around personally.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
K Effective wrote:
Unlike most of the rest of the CSFMB, I was never a Harry hater. In fact, after Mac went back to the Score, his repeated Harry bashing really turned me off, and led to the dust-up here that ended when Mac told me to PTFB. I did, and have not listened since. CJH was not as good as MJH, and Jurko proved how he will never be anything but a sidekick on air, a caricature of the Chicago meatball fan, or former jock. He will take a contrarian position simply for the battle then defend it without any real effort to know it- I'm right because you are dumb.

I'm not worried about Harry's future, he can always fall back on those "Up The Academy" royalties. I do wonder where the future radio talent is going to come from. Much like the newspaper industry, radio can't be getting stronger as a medium, and are there really any kids just dying to get on the air to talk sports, like a young Mac producing Chet's shows?

As far as the Up The Academy royalties are concerned, I assume you are kidding. Harry probabaly gets less than a hundred dollars a year for that these days. When do you ever see that movie playing on any television station?....never.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:34 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
good dolphin wrote:

Is the food bad there?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next