It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Keeping Score wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Peeps....since you worked your magic on the CJH show, how about starting a L Holmes daily show thread?

:lol:
:lol: Thats a good one

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:16 pm 

Beardown wrote:
I think Hood's chances at day part radio have long passed him by. I think he's barely hanging on at ESPN 1000 as it is. I never understood why people think/thought he was very good. He's a very poor and choppy speaker. It's annoying. Plus he talks without really saying anything. I catch him sometimes at night. It's just simple observations and bad jokes. He and drinky are kind of the same.

Thank you. I do not get the J Hood love. He is a tough listen. Maybe Harry will end up Dahl's retred podcast station.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I really hope that Jurko & Hood end up at the Score soon. Jurko with Mac would be great, & Hood is better than almost every host currently on the Score.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:24 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Hood is a better host than anyone at the score or ESPN.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Hood is the greatest thing since sliced pastrami.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
SHARK wrote:
He's being replaced by a guy named Mike Salk, who had been hosting morning drive on ESPN Radio's Seattle station.

Huh. I always assumed that ESPN just had the ear poison Mike and Mike show air during morning drive on any and every affilliate of theirs. They seem awfully proud of that shit show for some godless reason.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Since ESPN didnt have the balls to let Harry at least say farewell, I wonder what would happen if he called in to do it. Would they put the call thru? under orders not to? would Jurko and Carmen get in trouble if they did take such a call?

I'm sure they're under orders not to let him through on a call. That said, Harry will surely be on Mac & Spiegs at some point in the next week or so.

He should have the mayor of Skokie call in on his behalf.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Peoria Matt wrote:
Peeps....since you worked your magic on the CJH show, how about starting a L Holmes daily show thread?

I would, but that's Ivan's BABY!.

Once again, you are all welcome for this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I can memorize a list of Super Bowl MVPs and Cy Young Award winners too, Steve. It doesn't mean I'm qualified to talk sports. Same goes for Harry.

He's been talking sports on Chicago radio for 20 years. Lets not act as if he's some producer that has had a few days filling in for a regular broadcaster and wants a chance at a regular shift. You may not like him, but acting as if he's not qualified, when he has 2 decades of experience is silly.

He is as fine an example of coattails as one could display. Harry couldn't draw flies on any show he had prior to Mc Neil. Mc Neil didn't want him, he was forced on him because Harry was under contract and they didn't want to waste the money. Then Mc Neil left and Harry was back to not drawing flies.

You say McNeil didn't want him and I think that was true.....initially. However mac posted earlier today on his facebook page that he wants to get Harry on his show with he and Spiegal. He wants to see if they can do shows on a trial basis and see how the mix works out. That doesn't sound like someone that doesn't like/respect Harry at all. The ratings decline had everything to do with mac's departure but far less if anything at all, to do with Harry's contributions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:38 am 
1000 CLUB

all the people calling espn1000 classless, from experience at my past job where they decided to go on regular firing sprees- if they did it right in the morning people would say "wow, they made them drive all the way out here and then do it", when it was towards the end of the day "wow, they made them work the day and then they do it, that's cold", if it's by phone people would say "wow, they couldn't even do it in person", etc...if it's not something that stems from an on-the-spot incident it's never really an ideal time...though I guess with situations with people with contracts you can just choose not to renew/re-sign, but I guess they didn't want to wait.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:51 am 
1000 CLUB

torch! wrote:
all the people calling espn1000 classless, from experience at my past job where they decided to go on regular firing sprees- if they did it right in the morning people would say "wow, they made them drive all the way out here and then do it", when it was towards the end of the day "wow, they made them work the day and then they do it, that's cold", if it's by phone people would say "wow, they couldn't even do it in person", etc...if it's not something that stems from an on-the-spot incident it's never really an ideal time...though I guess with situations with people with contracts you can just choose not to renew/re-sign, but I guess they didn't want to wait.

Right. There is no good way. It's my understanding that he had a month left on his deal. So a month pay without working is pretty decent.

Harry can't complain. They kept him after the DUI/Marijuana bust. And they kept him after the police report was revealed where he told the cop he was gonna get the Mayor of Skokie to fix things for his privileged ass.

To hear Carm and Jurko say they don't understand. What? 17th place in the target male demo. It was actually consistent loses to B&B since Mac left and then this all time low of 17th place. That's an explanation. I suppose ESPN 1000 could just say it's the poor ratings but you should understand that without them saying it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
I'll miss Harry as much as Murph....Chicago has to many no talented m'fers behind the mike.....I'm starting to think this town needs only one sports station in town :lol:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Maciano's
Jurko's gotta be pissed that he's going to need to fill more airtime with Tiny's nonsense gone.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

So ESPN 1000 pays Jurko more than 250k.

Here's a 1993 Trib article where Jurko talks about Reggie White replacing him. Trib says Jurk's Packer salary was 250k. That was his 3rd year in the NFL.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-12-03/sports/9312030099_1_john-jurkovic-packers-coach-mike-holmgren-salary-cap

Better. John Jurkovic. That's Yurk-o-vitch.
"One of those great stories," said Packers coach Mike Holmgren.

Reggie White, All-World.
John Jurkovic, all-Calumet City.
They play side by side.
Reggie White, $9 million in 1993.
John Jurkovic, $250,000 in 1993.

"The little guys under the salary cap are going to have to suffer a little bit," Jurkovic said.

And there always will be little guys.

"Guys always want to play," Wolf said. "It's a heck of a game. That's what makes this game what it is today. Here's a guy who fights the whole uphill battle, and he wins. He's in the thick of things, a bona fide starter."

The irony is too many little guys figure to spoil big dreams. The position may remain perpetually open, paying $250,000 a year, take it or leave it.

"Hopefully," Jurkovic said, "if I'm in the league eight years and I play on a good consistent level, one day I'll get the kind of money those other guys are getting. That's the way I choose to survive."

Last edited by Beardown on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:11 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
We make a great team Beardown.

Like Marty Janetty and Leif Cassidy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Sausage
Keeping Score wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:19 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen Home Run Inn Pizza
Can't believe this guy lasted 12 years, never brought anything to the table.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:35 pm 

bosco wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:

wtf? I do not even want to know what you had to enter into a search to find that...

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Jurko and Carm get the news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk-a1RAX2mU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
bosco wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Holy shit, someone put that in the keeper thread for funniest post 2013. Thats fucking hysterical.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
SHARK wrote:
What happened with Glenn Ordway, a veteran sports talk radio host at WEEI-FM in Boston which also happens to be an ESPN Radio affiliate, is more the exception than the rule. Ordway had hosted "The Big Show" since 'EEI signed on the air in Boston back in 1987. He's being replaced by a guy named Mike Salk, who had been hosting morning drive on ESPN Radio's Seattle station.

I only mention the Ordway case because neither Mac nor Harry got the green light to say goodbye to their listeners here. Something else to consider. February's also the shortest month of the calendar year.

SHARK, let's also not forget about Milt Rosenberg who recently departed his WGN radio show "Extension 720." He was notified ahead of time and was able to bid the audience adieu, although he had hosted that show for damn near 40 years.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Sausage
RFDC wrote:
wtf? I do not even want to know what you had to enter into a search to find that...

:lol: If Googling "funny gif" then sorting through said pictures is deranged, then I'm guilty as charged.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:13 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Jurko is great.

He knows his role and is funny as hell. Next question...

Easily the funniest guy in radio and he's not as dumb as he seems. Very knowledgeable on football

Probably the best #2 guy in the city

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:16 pm 

Sarge wrote:
Say what you want about Harry's annoying, elitest, nails on chalkboard radio style, but the fact remains, the White Sox
have not won a championship since Mac and Harry have been split apart...

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:20 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
Are you serious about LoHo? I have him for 90 grand at the Score and 80 Grand doing weekend stuff on Channel 5. Nothing to sneeze at,BTW.

It's been confirmed on here before, jimmy.

Correct

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:21 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Larry's salary is a long running joke on this board, Jimmy. He ain't making that amount. It's just become a thing to post by a lot of people. Doc started it. Others have picked it up.

I assume by "started", you mean "broke the story".

I'm hurt that you've gone against me Beardown when I've defended you from all sides - all those times when it was just you and me against the world and this is how you repay me - with lies and deceit.

+275K

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:24 pm 

Bottom line: Harry was an intregel part of the best show in Chicago Sports radio history. MJH would not have been good without him. It was the perfect role for him.

That's it though. He's done and he should be.

Hope he doesn't turn to booze . Radio and drinking were about 75% of Harris existence for a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Jurko is great.

Easily the funniest guy in radio and he's not as dumb as he seems. Very knowledgeable on football

Very true. Jurko "plays" the dumb jock when he finds it convenient, but he's a sharp guy and has a good sense of humor. I wish he were still Mac's teammate, but without "The Franchise" ESPN would really have problems with the 2-6 pm slot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Jurko is great.

Very true. Jurko "plays" the dumb jock when he finds it convenient, but he's a sharp guy and has a good sense of humor. I wish he were still Mac's teammate, but without "The Franchise" ESPN would really have problems with the 2-6 pm slot.

Look, I like Jurko too, but 17th place is a big problem. I know it hurts for you to think, so I will do it for you. 17th place means that there were 16 shows with higher ratings. Bad.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next