It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:07 pm 

In looking at the ratings and what has happened to ESPN radio over the last few years it's obvious that Harry was the problem with the show. The dynamic of he and Mac going back and fourth was very good during their time, but when Mac left so too did that angle.

Harry loved to talk about knowing the athletes and his love for all things Chicago sports, and that was grating on the ears. While, perhaps, knowledgeable, he was too much of a homer to have any credibility amongst anyone who was looking for good sports talk. His lips were firmly planted on the backsides of many athletes and it was not entertaining. Mac was the guy who brought him back from those moments, but that was not the cast with Carmen when he took over. Harry is not good radio, unless you have someone who is willing to challenge his allegience to all things Chicago.

It was time for him to go. The ratings said it and so, too, did the listenership which dropped after Mac left. Let me say that I am not a big McNeil guy and that he is a great listen. I will say, though, that when paired with somone of Harry's ilk, it did work because of the friction between the two.

Harry seemed to have a lot of sway at the station and for the life of me I have no idea why. He was not a good listen for sports talk. He brought an "entertainment" component to it that, frankly, was grating on the ears. He would preface a question by saying how great either that particular player was or how much he loves the team. I never bought the excuse by management that he was a "everyman" with his role on the show. He was a shameless homer that did not make the program work.

I'm getting tired of people talking about how good someone was on the air when, in point of fact, they are not good. This is not to rip on them personally, I've met Harry, albeit briefly at the Springsteen concert, and he was very cordial. While I thought kindly of him personally, professionally I thought there was nothing there that would make me think, if I was in a hiring position, that he would be great on air. This, sadly I believe, is the case for many people on the air today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:10 pm 

Sorry about the spelling error. I meant to write "case" instead of "cast" in the post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

All of that is true, Chip.

After thinking about it, the DUI/Marijuana bust was a big part of it as well. I think Bristol fired him. He's gone with one month remaining in his contract. They were just waiting for it to bleed out. They didn't want to fire him at the time of the arrest cuz they knew his dad had money. ESPN figured they'd be sued with Harry claiming the drinking and pot use was a disease and that he couldn't be fired due to a sickness. That's why Harry quickly ran to rehab at the time. To prove that he was trying to get cured. ESPN feared that Harry's lawyers might have won this for him. So they kept him. Now it's basically not a firing, it's just not renewing a contract and paying off his last month. So Harry can't sue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Beardown wrote:

After thinking about it, the DUI/Marijuana bust was a big part of it as well. I think Bristol fired him. He's gone with one month remaining in his contract. They were just waiting for it to bleed out. They didn't want to fire him at the time of the arrest cuz they knew his dad had money. ESPN figured they'd be sued with Harry claiming the drinking and pot use was a disease and that he couldn't be fired due to a sickness. That's why Harry quickly ran to rehab at the time. To prove that he was trying to get cured. ESPN feared that Harry's lawyers might have won this for him. So they kept him. Now it's basically not a firing, it's just not renewing a contract and paying off his last month. So Harry can't sue.

The mouse wouldn't be afraid of any of that shit. Harry's fah-thah doesn't have enough cabbage to pay for lawyers as good as Mickey's. Also, the mouse has a lot of fuck off money to throw @ these lawsuit types.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:43 pm 

Angus, love the avatar.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Harry was shown the door for one reason. Because I told Zederman that our ReVolution would be more successful without him.

I also mentioned that hiring an intelligent former Score Search runner-up wouldn't be a bad idea.

So keep an eye out for a call.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

Sure, ESPN has the money. But why spend it if they don't have to spend it? Cheaper just to get rid of Harry after his contract expires. No hassle that way. Cuz if they fired Harry after the arrest, they'd have to pay his contract anyway or go to court to prove they had cause. Not to mention the potential lawsuit for wrongful termination that I mentioned. So that would be paying his contract and additional money.

Big corporations always want to go the route of least resistance if possible. That's what they did with Harry.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:43 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Harry was shown the door for one reason. Because I told Zederman that our ReVolution would be more successful without him.

I also mentioned that hiring an intelligent former Score Search runner-up wouldn't be a bad idea.

So keep an eye out for a call.

:D

I am all for that and thanks for the recommendation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
chip egan wrote:
Angus, love the avatar.

Thanks. Doug & Spanky appreciate it, too. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:00 pm 

Chip's still bitter he still lost the Score host contest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Keeping Score wrote:
Here's why I think Harry was let go: He Sucked.
Does anyone know if Adam reads the board? Seriously. Harry is almost universally bashed on this board and I wonder if the consistency in this regard opened some eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:
Does anyone know if Adam reads the board? Seriously. Harry is almost universally bashed on this board and I wonder if the consistency in this regard opened some eyes.

Not nearly as much as he should. Kinda foolish not to, free feedback. True most of it is negative, but thats the media biz. Very few people write in and tell you how great of a job you did.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:01 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:

I think he probably just looked at the ratings, and cut the most obvious weakest link.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Keeping Score wrote:

This is the correct answer.

/thread

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Beardown wrote:

Make no mistake about it, Beardown. The folks in Bristol, CT call the shots at ESPN Radio 1000 AM, not State Street. I think they're the ones who not only told Harry to get lost late last week, but I also think they're the ones that'll ultimately do the same with Carmen DeFalco & John Jurkovic in due time.