It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sports Cards
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I feel the same way they do. I spent just about every dime I was given or earned on sports cards until I was a freshman in high school and now they are worthless. I have thousands of them. The greatest feeling as a kid was beating another kid out of a card in a trade because he didn't know the value of it. My greatest heist was for a Penny Hardaway hologram card that was worth $200 at the time. I traded away about 10 cards that weren't worth more than $.25. Now the joke is on me. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

Post subject: Re: Sports Cards
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Drag's
I once traded a piranha and a 5 gallon bucket to a neighbor for a Nolan Ryan rookie card (albeit VG). Needless to say, I won that press conference. The optics were off the charts.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Nas wrote:
I feel the same way they do. I spent just about every dime I was given or earned on sports cards until I was a freshman in high school and now they are worthless. I have thousands of them. The greatest feeling as a kid was beating another kid out of a card in a trade because he didn't know the value of it. My greatest heist was for a Penny Hardaway hologram card that was worth $200 at the time. I traded away about 10 cards that weren't worth more than $.25. Now the joke is on me. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm still holding on to a bunch of them as well Nas. I have the 1985-87 Topps full sets. I guess the worst part for
me is that while there were a lot of great rookie players in that era ( Clemens, McGwire, Bonds ) it turns out they
were all cheaters. I'll continue to hang onto them but I am not completely sure why. I also have a really cool
cut out set of Jordan cards that came in a tin box. I got this in the early nineties and should have known better
but I opened the cards and checked them out before putting them away. I should dig that stuff out to see what
I actually have. I feel the same way about all my signed stuff. I have a ton of it but feel like if I ever want to sell
it I have to get it DNA/PSA certified and some of the stuff may not even be worth it. I wish I wasn't so sentimental
about that crap.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
DannyB wrote:
I once traded a piranha and a 5 gallon bucket to a neighbor for a Nolan Ryan rookie card (albeit VG). Needless to say, I won that press conference. The optics were off the charts.

Market. Inefficiency.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Don Tiny wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Market. Inefficiency.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
surprised this has never come up on this board before. I have Topps complete sets for 1982-1996, and that's when I stopped collecting. I've also got a ton of basketball cards and some football/hockey.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
City of Fools wrote:
surprised this has never come up on this board before. I have Topps complete sets for 1982-1996, and that's when I stopped collecting. I've also got a ton of basketball cards and some football/hockey.

I hear RPB will come and take away old junk. Drop him a line.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Nas wrote:

I'm still holding on to a bunch of them as well Nas. I have the 1985-87 Topps full sets. I guess the worst part for
me is that while there were a lot of great rookie players in that era ( Clemens, McGwire, Bonds ) it turns out they
were all cheaters. I'll continue to hang onto them but I am not completely sure why. I also have a really cool
cut out set of Jordan cards that came in a tin box. I got this in the early nineties and should have known better
but I opened the cards and checked them out before putting them away. I should dig that stuff out to see what
I actually have. I feel the same way about all my signed stuff. I have a ton of it but feel like if I ever want to sell
it I have to get it DNA/PSA certified and some of the stuff may not even be worth it. I wish I wasn't so sentimental
about that crap.

I gave my son an encased Jordan autographed ball and last week he asked me if he could play with it. I started to call Maury.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:12 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

I hear RPB will come and take away old junk. Drop him a line.

:lol:

I said I might pick up a $1000 dollar entertaiment center for free from a friend's house who is getting rid of it

Never have I taken such an undeserved beating....or Hatcheting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:16 pm 

I have thousands too... and now they're worth less than a Douchebag entertainment center. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
leashyourkids wrote:
I have thousands too... and now they're worth less than a Douchebag entertainment center. :cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
leashyourkids wrote:

What's the conversion rate of a Douchebag entertainment center to an Ugie non-functioning wine fridge?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

My love for sports cards almost got me a Rodney King type beating as a kid after me and a couple of my friends thought catching the bus to 63rd and King Dr was a great idea to buy cards.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Nas wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Nas wrote:

about that crap.

I gave my son an encased Jordan autographed ball and last week he asked me if he could play with it. I started to call Maury.

:shock: .... :lol: :lol: I have a Bulls Hat with Jordan's signature on the bill. I have taken it out of its shoe box just
a handful of times. Never thought about wearing it around. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:36 pm 

Nas wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Nas wrote:

about that crap.

:lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol:

I feel a Sandlot moment is going to happen with this.

Last edited by Hawg Ass on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:36 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
My brother and I have every Topps complete set from 1976 to sometime in the late '80s. Are any of those worth anything? The '70s stuff still have any value?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I have a ball with all the 89 seattle mariners autographs - unit and edgar the biggest names. All except griffey JR, the only asshole who refused to sign it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
One of my good friends is a serious collector. He has well over a quarter million dollars worth of stuff, conservatively valued. You still have to be able to move it though. It's not just as easy as making a phone to one guy to take all of it or putting in an auction as a lot and getting the real value.

He's been selling some stuff at shows on the weekends. He has to bring $100,000 worth of stuff with him to sell $700-800 worth of cards. One thing he was pretty happy about is that he thought guys would be cherry-picking what he considered the "good stuff" and instead he's selling mostly stuff he doesn't care about.

But it's a really small world when you get down to it. The fact that he is now selling rather than buying has a visible effect on the local market. The thing is, most guys don't end up with $250,000 worth of cards because they're shrewd businessmen. They do it because they're collectors. My friend is supposed to be there liquidating some stuff and turning it into cash. One Sunday he sold $500 worth of cards but spent the whole $500 on a Mantle card. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

You know what's devalued all of it. Yes, cards were over produced starting in the late 80s. That's a big reason.

But ebay has compounded the mass production by making them less valued. Go search some of your stuff on Ebay. People are just trying to get rid of their cards and get something for it instead of throwing them out so they're all cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Nas wrote:
My love for sports cards almost got me a Rodney King type beating as a kid after me and a couple of my friends thought catching the bus to 63rd and King Dr was a great idea to buy cards.

:lol: :lol: Reminds me of me and cousin as 11 and 12 year olds meeting some girls and trying to take them to a party. We only had enough money for one CTA transfer and we were going from 63rd and Stony to 55th and Cottage and back.

We took the #1 to get there, then walked from 51st down to 55th.

The chicks did not come outside, and we were left in the rain.

We had to take the 55 Garfield bus to Lake Park, and then the 28 Stony Island back to 63rd.

What the hell were we thinking? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
My brother and I have every Topps complete set from 1976 to sometime in the late '80s. Are any of those worth anything? The '70s stuff still have any value?

I was thinking that the legendary 1975 set (Brett, Rice, Lynn, Yount rookies, and more) would be worth more than all of those together but I see someone selling it for $349.95. That is mind-boggling. Condition is the most-important thing I guess.

http://www.steelcitycollectibles.com/sp ... AubK8P8HAQ

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:06 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

What's the conversion rate of a Douchebag entertainment center to an Ugie non-functioning wine fridge?

That entertainment center is now gone, you guys missed the boat on a great deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:10 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

That entertainment center is now gone, you guys missed the boat on a great deal.

Recycling doesn't pay as much as you would think.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I was into sport collectibles and cards big time in the 1980's, and still have the cards that I bought as a kid in the late '60 's & early '70's. I have a ton of stuff that I wish I had unloaded years ago.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I only collected basketball cards and comic book cards back in the day. I was able to sell most of them or make interesting trades while they still had "value".

Somewhere in my Mom's basement are a shit load of Alonzo Mourning cards... :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:36 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
I only collected basketball cards and comic book cards back in the day. I was able to sell most of them or make interesting trades while they still had "value".

Are you really Leary?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Hawg Ass wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

Are you really Leary?

No, I was 12...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:26 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
DannyB wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

I was thinking that the legendary 1975 set (Brett, Rice, Lynn, Yount rookies, and more) would be worth more than all of those together but I see someone selling it for $349.95. That is mind-boggling. Condition is the most-important thing I guess.

http://www.steelcitycollectibles.com/sp ... AubK8P8HAQ
Rick Harrison will give you $80 for it.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
I have tons of cards in cases and boxes and whatnot, mostly in my garage. I don't think I really ever planned on making an investment on them. They're just kind of cool to occasionally pop off the shelf and look at. I figure if anyone ever comes by and has interest, then great. If not, no big whoop...but it sure is a pain to haul around when I was moving alot. Same with Star Wars stuff and a little bit of comic books. It's all pop culture and it was all about the fun of collecting. I remember back in the day when it was so exhilarating to get a Gold plated Bobby Humphrey Action Packed card, thinking that he'd be the next big star. And then the whole parallel "update set" with the rookies being a big deal. It was fun, despite the fact that I was in my early 20s...I didn't care. I was re-living some of my youth. Now, it just takes up space...but whatever.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Man sucks that a dude from NC sent cards to fatty today. What's in the box.