All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Killer V wrote:
It was enough hearing M&M continually mentioning the layoff in passing,

"Well, Florida was the better team last night, but 40 days ago, who knows?"

Garbage.

These 21 and 22 year old kids, who have been playing football their whole lives, suddenly forget how cover kicks, because they have been off for seven weeks. I'm not buying it. Florida had 5 weeks off, and they looked fine to me.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Believe me, I would tell them to defend themselves here, but I doubt any of them know how to use a computer (that's a joke). I have a job interview today, so instead of listening to espn1000 online, I listened to this local guy and here was a debate they were having:
If Ohio State would have lost by a fluke play/bad play would they have a share of the national title?
What if the game was played in Columbus?
What if they played the game 1 week earlier like they used to?
My inward dialouge: THEY WOULD HAVE LOST.
Yup, that's right they have gone straight to the denial phase and wishful thinking.
and from now on, it can be just Cory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

I don't know why I found the 'putting a log on the fire' drop so funny but I can't stop laughing.. Play the sound bite more often .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
I completely agree with what Jurko said about the baseball HOF selection. These guys turned their heads while these players were playing but now they want to take the so call moral high ground when it comes to voting.

Nas, I'm not so sure the writers turned their heads. Back then it seemed to me that we were all just pretty ignorant of the whole thing. All the talk was about whether the ball was juiced. I don't remember a thing being mentioned even between fans on if the players were on roids. We were all just stupid and naive, including the writers. Now if you tell me that many of the writers HAD knowledge or hunches that there was rampant steroid use and kept it quiet, then I'd be on Jurko's side here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
hawkeye...i think that was Nas' point. you have to suspect that the writers knew before anyone else really did. they saw these guys everyday...year to year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

It seems that many media types can rarely admit they were wrong about a team or a game. Why is it so freaking difficult for these guys to admit that Ohio state wasn't as good as Florida? Is that so freaking hard to do? Those of us who wager are wrong 40-60% of the time. There is no shame in being wrong. We have our opinions and beliefs and sometimes the facts prove us wrong. It happens. But for media guys, they act like it's the ultimate shame. And to make matters worse, instead of admitting they were wrong, they have to find excuses to rationalize their original opinion.

To be fair to the media types, players, coaches and fans do the same thing. They rarely admit that the other team was better. Instead they say "we weren't this or we weren't that." Anybody who makes excuses for Ohio State is insulting Florida. Ohio State didn't lose that game as much as Florida won it.

The same thing will happen in the next two weeks when the Bears lose in the playoffs. When that happens, media types will rush to claim it was because of something the Bears did or did not do. They will look to justify their original opinion that the Bears were the better team. It's been going on all season. Every loss was the Bears' fault...never because the other team was better that day. Count how few times MJH gives credit to the other team that beats the Bears in the playoffs. The over/under is one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

You are absolutely right Coast, and I meant to comment on it earlier. No team every WINS a game anymore. One team always does something that costs them the game, or the weather, or something else has some effect on it. People always find reasons that a team could not do it the right way, instead of giving teams their due.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Sports media are just like weathermen, when it comes down to it, they are guessing. They can use all the facts or stats they can find, but in the end, they are guessing about the outcome of a game.

But, unlike weathermen who just carry on the next day, even if they are infinitely wrong about their weather prediction, the sports media has a huge ego that needs to be massaged. If they guessed right, they beat their drum to death. If they're wrong, they need to justify their pick by trashing the winner and explaining why they should have been right.

This process is amplified in the football season because of the week of air-time in between games that needs to be filled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Bears!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

The Gridiron Assassin wrote:
While I agree the game would have been more competively played had it taken place in mid-December - the fact of that matter is both teams knew 'the stipulations of the bowl game' going into it.

I do agree that the football is not as good because of the long layoff, but that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things... It is what it is.

I don't understand why the football can't be as good though because of the layoff.

Florida seemed completely unaffected by their 40 day layoff.

I think OSU just came out strong with the TD, but just could not stop Florida because of their strategy.

Why rush only 3 players when, if you watched any film on Leak, he makes mistakes when the pressure is on ?

Why keep dropping linebackers into the zone, and let Florida keep throwing 4 yards passes all night.

On offense, spread the field with 4 WR's and run the ball with Pittman. They never really did that the entire night.

Let's be honest though - Florida played a great game, and had everything going. When the kicker on Florida is drilling 40 yard FG's, after going 3 for 12 in the regular season, you know it's not your night.

Florida is the champ, they earned it. Forget the layoff talk - it sure didn't seem to bother them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:05 am 

That game felt like the Orange Bowl in 2002/2003 when Iowa took the opening kick back 100 yards for a TD and then USC went to work on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:18 am 
1000 CLUB

Nas, If I am wrong about the Bears losing in the next two weeks, I will have no problem admitting it. It's no big deal to me. I have a lot of practice doing it. I tell my wife I'm wrong on a regular basis. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:35 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
there's a difference between being wrong here, and just saying what your wife wants to hear :p

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:35 am 

Coast2Coast wrote:
The same thing will happen in the next two weeks when the Bears lose in the playoffs. When that happens, media types will rush to claim it was because of something the Bears did or did not do. They will look to justify their original opinion that the Bears were the better team. It's been going on all season. Every loss was the Bears' fault...never because the other team was better that day.

You may hear Dan Patrick sling out his ole "but give the ... team X ... credit," after launching that attack and then cite that the media is so critical.