It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fall ratings are in
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:44 pm 

Consumers of sports blather,

In case nobody has made it public yet, call it consecutive victory No. 12 vs. the Score in afternoons for the neighborhood saloon. But... by a slim margin. We're a 4.4 M25-54... they're a 4.2. We rank second in the market... they're third. WOJO won the book for adult male audience with a 5.5. Anybody here ever punch them in? Steve Dahl was fourth.

Mike and Mike edged North by the same numbers, 4.4 to a 4.2. Mike and Mike also had a higher cume than we did, which only happened once before.

In the 10-3 slot.... they kind of handed it to us. Most interesting to me, given the little bit I hear over there when I sample on the commute to work.

They win overall, but we keep a slight edge in both drive shifts.

Thursday the maximizer will give hourly breakdowns.

MJH will perform stronger in the winter book, historically a pretty strong book for the band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:52 pm 

it's gotta be the billboards :wink:

Congrats Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Wow, looks like Mike North actually closed the gap a little on Mike and Mike.

Interesting numbers Mac. I remember a time when 9 - 12 was owned by the very station you are employed at.

And as always congrats on your own numbers. Knowing youI'm sure its not good enough until you are #1 overall in the slot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Wow, looks like Mike North actually closed the gap a little on Mike and Mike.

Because he wasn't there for two weeks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:02 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Does that book include the period when they put the muzzle on Annie and brought in people to actually talk sports and make North's show listenable? Interesting.

Mac, I'm sure your ratings would be better if only you were on from 2-6. :D

Post subject: Re: Fall ratings are in
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac wrote:
Consumers of sports blather,

In case nobody has made it public yet, call it consecutive victory No. 12 vs. the Score in afternoons for the neighborhood saloon. But... by a slim margin. We're a 4.4 M25-54... they're a 4.2. We rank second in the market... they're third. WOJO won the book for adult male audience with a 5.5. Anybody here ever punch them in? Steve Dahl was fourth.

Mike and Mike edged North by the same numbers, 4.4 to a 4.2. Mike and Mike also had a higher cume than we did, which only happened once before.

In the 10-3 slot.... they kind of handed it to us. Most interesting to me, given the little bit I hear over there when I sample on the commute to work.

They win overall, but we keep a slight edge in both drive shifts.

Thursday the maximizer will give hourly breakdowns.

MJH will perform stronger in the winter book, historically a pretty strong book for the band.

Thanks for the info....btw, Mully/Hanley is a good show, and when matchup with Salisbury/Rosenbloom, your station is going to lose that one.

Keep up the good show!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
The answer is obvious:

M&M 5:30-9
MJH 9-6
S,C,H 6-10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
MJH 9-6

Nice job, Jurko just went into cardiac arrest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Quote:
Because he wasn't there for two weeks

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:
Thanks for the info....btw, Mully/Hanley is a good show, and when matchup with Salisbury/Rosenbloom, your station is going to lose that one.

Let's say they went back to S & C from 9 to 12. I think they'd have some serious ground to make up and it would take awhile. Mully and Hanley have a pretty good show. Anyone who has detracted from ESPN at this point, may already be comfy with The Score from that time slot. I think they really got some tough problems to fix in that timeslot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

Best news, Dahl in 4th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:48 pm 

WR, you should start the official, S & C back to 9-12. I'd be on board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'm in as always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think it's amazing how many people are listening to sports talk in the afternoons. When you combine MJH and B&B it's amazing. It's really unique I think. I think alot of those listeners are not loyal to either of them. They have the same listeners for the most part. It's just a matter of who's more interesting on a given day. Or I'll go to the other one because they are in commercial. I like the fact that there commercials are off set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Quote:
WOJO won the book for adult male audience with a 5.5. Anybody here ever punch them in?

WOJO 105.1 FM? It's a Spanish station.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:24 pm 

As a listener, ratings talk rates right up there with Jurko v. Harry on my level of interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:30 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I loved Wojo on Barney Miller. Didn't even know he was in radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

Rocks and Blows wrote:
Best news, Dahl in 4th.

That's because Garry Meier wasn't there to carry him for the ratings book like he did in the Summer books...

Correct me if I'm wrong... North closed the gap by a TON... didn't he? I thought the last go around Mike and Mike handed were beating him so bad he was squintin' like a Chinaman. Or Korean... Or Japanese... Or zipperhead...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

WSCR gets chance to crow
Even without Sox, station edges WMVP in radio ratings
In sports radio, as in sports, you don't want to give your opponent bulletin board material.

A few weeks ago, WMVP-AM 1000 general manager Jim Pastor attributed WSCR-AM 670's big lead in the summer ratings to the White Sox being on that station. Pastor concluded that with the Sox not playing much in the fall, "things will settle back to reality."

Well, here's the latest in reality: Even without the Sox, WSCR still is the dominant sports talk radio station in town.

The fall ratings, which came out Wednesday, show WSCR has a 2.0 share in listeners 12 and older, compared to 1.5 for WMVP; share is the percentage of radios tuned to a station. In men 18 and older, WSCR is up to 3.6 compared with WMVP's 2.8.

WSCR didn't care for Pastor's assessment of the summer book. The station was anxious to show it can hold its listeners without the Sox. A Sox-less WSCR basically maintained its audience in the fall, dropping a hair from its 2.1 in the summer.

"The issue in this ratings book was local," WSCR general manager Paul Agase said. "We're the local sports station in town, and we dominated."

Pastor had a more diplomatic take on the fall ratings.

"We're very pleased," said Pastor, whose station rose from a 1.3 in the summer. "We've never used them as a measuring stick. I need to know that we're making progress and growing, and we are."

The big difference for WSCR is in the 10 a.m.-3 p.m. category. A decision by program director Mitch Rosen to split the block between Mike Mulligan and Brian Hanley (10 a.m.-noon) and Mike Murphy (noon-2 p.m.) has been a winner. WSCR did a solid 2.5 in that slot.

Both WSCR shows are heavily local and more nuts-and-bolts sports oriented. At that time of day, it seems sports listeners don't want as many movie references and comments on politics.

WMVP, meanwhile, lags behind at 1.5 during midday. Pastor, though, said he was pleased that the period, which includes the combination of Sean Salisbury and Steve Rosenbloom and the Dan Patrick show, did improve from a 1.2 in the summer.

Otherwise, the two stations are in a virtual dead heat in the other two main day parts. Mike North's morning show on WSCR holds a slight 3.7-3.6 edge over the Mike Golic-Mike Greenberg national show on WMVP in the 6-10 a.m. men's-18 segment.

In the 3-7 p.m. period, the Dan Bernstein-Terry Boers afternoon show on WSCR can claim a 3.6-3.4 victory over WMVP's Dan McNeil, John Jurkovic and Harry Teinowitz in men-18. But I can hear Mac now, shouting that his show holds a 4.4-4.2 edge in the all-important men's 25-54 demographic.

Both general managers agree this is a good time for sports radio in Chicago.

Clearly, each station is benefiting from the Bears' run to the playoffs. They should give a bonus to Rex Grossman for keeping area sports fans on edge. Nothing like a little controversy and angst to spike the sports-talk ratings.

"It says something that the sports stations combine to do a 3.5 [share] in this town," Agase said. "A lot of fans are listening to sports talk, and that's good for both of us."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

I won't sit here and pretend to tell you guys how this ratings thing works but at one point Mac and his crew dominated Boers and Bernstein in that time slot and I guess my question To Dan is how did B&B gain this much ground so quick on you ?

I listen to B&B when the topics are to my liking but more times than not I tune into MJH .Mac and his crew seem to dominate this board with posts and fans but they have lost a ratings period to a show I feel at times is as good as MJH and if not better in certian areas. But Yet ,I still think MJH gives you a better bang for your buck .

As I read between the lines of what each GM shovels , it seems clear that the Salisbury and Rosenbloom experience and The Dan Patrick show is slowly killing MJH in the numbers game and the Score is reaping the benefits of that .

Dan has pounded his chest for many years about his show (for good reason) and now it's time to give Kudos to you former partner and Mr. Bernstein for not only catching you , but passing you guys in the over all book .It's time to take off the gloves Dan and get your hands dirty again and get back to the top..

Question is how ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:31 am 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
"THE WIND SOCK"
It's time for Mac to take off the gloves and get your hands dirty again and get back to the top..

Question is how ?

Two words: Soilent Green!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:42 am 

S&C back to the morning.
It would really help bring listeners back.

Patrick being shortened to 12-2 would be good also, because that last hour is plain garbage.

On a side note, I recently took a trip to Florida and tried to listen to sports radio most of the way down there, trying to stay awake all day. We are really blessed to have the people we have.

Atlanta? Made me want to cry.
Anywhere in Kentucky and Tennessee? I bawled like a baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:32 am 
1000 CLUB

I don't know which hour Patrick has Olberman on, but that hour has to stay. It's the only listenable part of his show. Solo shows are for the birds. It's like one guy 'preaching' his opinion. I'd much rather hear the give and take of two people's opinions.

I though Mac said the 'hourly' ratings came out yesterday. I wonder how their looking...