It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:47 am 

My daily commute on the Tri-State from the South suburbs to Elk Grove often takes me 90 minutes or more. I'm usually listening to Mike and Mike because the North show is just intolerable. But I've been noticing lately that after one hour (40 minutes actually, if you exclude commercials) M&M start repeating the same damn stories. And the second time Greenie tells the same story, Golic acts just as surprised as he did the first time! Do they really think that nobody listens for more than an hour? Can it be that hard to come up with more than 40 minutes of things to talk about for a 4-hour show? I never have that problem with any other station in the morning or afternoon. C'mon guys, let's try a little harder. And can you knock off the damn music every time "Brady Quinn" is mentioned???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: Viccinos Pizza in Downtown Glenview.
I have noticed that many times on M&M. I hate Golics fake yelps, i listen to them for awhile then mute them once they start the repeats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:41 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The average time a listener listens to a show is less than an hour. I understand they are going to repeat and won't bash them for that....HOWEVER the statements below

Quote:
And the second time Greenie tells the same story, Golic acts just as surprised as he did the first time!

DRIVE ME SO F'ING NUTS!!! This may be the most ANNOYING thing going on sports radio right now. If I have to hear Golic or Greenie act like they have heard something for the first time when you know they heard it twice already and probably discussed it in their prodcuction meeting, I swear to God I'm going to go their remote on Monday and just purposely puke right on their little stage where they are sitting. And then tell them to knock off that crap. It demeans the people that listen for 40 minutes. It makes them look like two jackasses. And it's sooo blatantly obvious how fake they sound at their reactions, yet once again, ESPN and Justin Craig will tell you these two are the best two people on the face of the Earth. Keep it. Absolutely keep it. You know it's bad when that exact crap has made me start listening to that disaster of a show with Mike North's name in the title. STOP IT ALREADY!

whew...I'm pretty emotional about this topic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:05 am 

So, I am confused, is banaba bread a sweet or a bread? Is Golic's son going to Notre Dame? They just don't give me enough information :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:36 am 
1000 CLUB

We should start talking about whether 1 or 2 alarm clocks is better. :roll: Wasn't it Mac who said most sports radio listeners tune in for about 20 minutes at a time? Even though they are really annoying at times they are still the best morning sports show. I wish they'd tone down the "metrosexual vs manly man" shtick though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:51 am 
1000 CLUB

hawkeye, they can be really good sometimes and really bad. When they talk NFL and have Stink on, I think its a pretty good show. When they try to do bits and stories where Golic and Greenie "act", absolutely can this piece of shit show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Most of the time they are doing their act though. The good moments are few and far between.

I no longer turn my dial to 1000 between the hours of 8am and 3pm. I listen to the 670 and when I can't stand that I listen to music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I agree with Spaulding, can't handle mike and mike anymore. Either it's the stupid love songs or the tired metro vs. jock schtick, or some tired discussion that "takes on a life of it's own". Movin on down the dial myself, but you know that M&M is a ratings monster, and it'll be around for some time.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:02 am 
1000 CLUB

Darkside..you had to say it, didn't you? "takes on a life of it's own"

That just gets my blood boiling. If Greenie ever bumped into me again, it won't be pleasant this time around. I think the two have gotten worse and worse and worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
WR you're right, they're getting worse. Maybe it's me but we've got a draft going on, NBA playoffs, baseball getting into full swing, and we've still got to hear about why greenies wife thinks he's an idiot? More Goddam steroid talk with Bonds? More man vs. fairy talk? Lord, I've had enough. Sorry ESPN, I just can't do it anymore.

When CD players became afordable for cars, I had one put into my Piece of Shit Sunbird. I had Pantera's Reinventing the Steel album in there. I must have had it in there for about 14 months. Listening to MM brings me back to those days where I had only one CD in my car for over a year.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:49 am 

Quote:
Frankfort G wrote:
And the second time Greenie tells the same story, Golic acts just as surprised as he did the first time! Do they really think that nobody listens for more than an hour? Can it be that hard to come up with more than 40 minutes of things to talk about for a 4-hour show? I never have that problem with any other station in the morning or afternoon. C'mon guys, let's try a little harder. And can you knock off the damn music every time "Brady Quinn" is mentioned???

i usually only listen to them from 8-9 if that, so I didn't know that they did this but I am not surprised. Dan Patrick does the EXACT same thing, only I can imagine it being even more insufferable if TWO people are doing it.

The thing is with ESPN is that there is supposed to be a national perspective, and yet it is very narrow. most of the writers and personalities are from one part of the country (the northeast) and only have knowledge of that region. there seems to be no representation of the midwest, or south. there's more talk about the west than there is the midwest.

there are shows i've listened to that are 3-4 hours long and they may repeat an interview or something later on in the show--but they never repeat bits. Dan Patrick and, I guess, Mike & Mike, are the only ones I know of that do that. I don't know if Sports Bash or The Herd does this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:53 am 
1000 CLUB

Good point Wheaton Zach. I do too, and to be honest when I've listened to The Heard he hasn't felt the need to repeat his shit as if he never heard it through out his show. PDX Dan would know more than I though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:56 am 
1000 CLUB

It's definitely annoying, but it's probably some genius' idea to keep their stories "interesting" - even if they are repeated, they still have to act like it's a great story by laughing, and asking questions & making comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:57 am 
1000 CLUB

Of course BD. As Greenie will say "It really has taken a life of it's own."

No it hasn't you stupid POS. YOU gave it a life of its own...which it doesn't deserve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

It used to be 2 hours, but that went out the window sometime in the last few months. It definitely gets aggravating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Say, do you guys listen to Mac, Jurko, & Harry?

They don't repeat every hour, but they do repeat some of the 3-5 segments in the 5-7 hours. I've heard the same triva questions asked while Harry and Jurko play dumb the second time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yeah, I know about that. But at least its a couple hours apart, and only small parts. Mike and Mike might as well follow an hourly script - even the wording they choose is often the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

Scholar, dead on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:54 pm 

When MJH repeat something, it's because it was a good bit to begin with, and they honestly tell you it's a replay. That's way different than M&M. I do enjoy when the Mikes break down football games before or after, but the rest of the year they're pretty bad at finding good material.

As others have said, the steroids talk is so tired, as is Greenie's femininity and Golic's slovenliness. The dumbass music clips for Quinn and Pennington were once cute but now I cringe whenever I hear one of those names. If North wasn't so pathetic, I'd be tuned to the Score every morning, but I just can't go there. I am listening to a lot more FM music these days, tho...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Listening to Julio Iglesias in the morning is not the way to start off the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Quote:
Listening to Julio Iglesias in the morning is not the way to start off the day.

You should switch to ABBA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
a few points:

my alarm goes off at 6. i'm at work at 7:30. within that hour and a half I will hear the same stories. i'm interested in knowing if that continues, b/c when I get to work i'm usually "off" until MJH. are you guys telling me that this continues for the other 1.5 hours i'm not listening to M&M?

another point:
the few of us.
we, here on this board...are a rare breed.
The P1's. we don't matter. the puppet masters have us already....

another point #2:
radio guys that "get it" do their work:
1. b/c they love it and it pays the bills.
2. for guys like us.

i don't have to give you examples of these players...dugout...clubhouse...
you know who they are.
8)

mike and mike have become the feed for the cattle.
and we are the bulls.

fuck 'em all.
right, good dolphin?