It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Competetive Eating
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:02 am 

of all the new "sports" ESPN covers, this has to be the most ridiculous. Years ago when I still lived on the East Coast, WIP sports (610 AM) was holding what they call the Wing Bowl (I believe they still do in fact) on Angelo Citaldi's morning show. My Dad and I went to a few of these, held at the Spectrum, and it was hilarious and gross at the same time. It was also a gas to see guys drinking beer at 6 in the morning. But the Wing Bowl was presented as the freak show it was. The guys were all heavy and they'd be accompanied by the Wingettes (hot pin up chicks), and it was just...you know it was bizarre.

The way competetive eating is presented on ESPN...I mean they use all the professional graphics and stats and stuff, like it's some kind of respectable sport.

I know Mike & Mike were pretty much having fun with this tourney, having that Crab Legs guy on or whatever, Crazy Legs, whatever his name is; but the cynic in me is just saying...yeah you guys are joking around about it but you're still airing it and promoting it like it's an important event.

I don't know, am I taking it too seriously? Am I wrong here? Are they really just promoting stuff like this ironically? Or is ESPN just that bad? Or is that a rhetorical question...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
ESPN has become the WWE of the sports world: no different than a three-ring circus. It would be nice as a sports fan if there were another network to compete with them nationally.

I don't think you're taking it too seriously, but at the same time you shouldn't be surprised either. Personally I can only take any ESPN programming (radio, TV, whatever) in very small doses.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Kid Cairo wrote:
ESPN has become the WWE of the sports world: no different than a three-ring circus. It would be nice as a sports fan if there were another network to compete with them nationally.

I don't think you're taking it too seriously, but at the same time you shouldn't be surprised either. Personally I can only take any ESPN programming (radio, TV, whatever) in very small doses.

I can't stand Sportscenter. I had to watch it on vacation overseas recently to get my scores because I had no other choice, and it's brutal. It's made for people with ADD. I MUCH prefer ESPNews. It's the news, with very little BS. Some, but very little compared to ESPN proper.

This isn't anything new- Cheap Seats the show was a good showcase for the crap ESPN put out in the 90's- old athlete and dog races, darts, celebrity fishing, list goes on and on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:48 am 

Zack- there isn't much else to talk about & it's not uncommon for M&M to, say, beat a dead horse on any particular subject. With all the laughing that they were doing I think they were poking fun of it.
But the REAL subject is: What should be put on Golic's Urn??? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:24 am 
1000 CLUB

They have 24 hours of programming to fill, and can only show so much MLB/NBA/NFL/College Football/College BBall/NASCAR - I think it's inevitable that they are going to show these types of programs, and they seem to be in the news more so I don't blame them for doing so. It costs nothing to produce, so even if nobody watches, what did it cost them ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I've already started researching for next year's fantasy spelling bee draft...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

Unless it's a game I'm interested in watching, ESPN TV is useless. The bad news is it could probably get even worse. When they realize nobody is watching this junk like competitive eating and paint ball, they'll move on to other things (like tiddly winks, bocce, competitive cow dung hurling and croquet) and beat those activities into the ground too with their usual breathless saturation coverage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:27 pm 

I'm amazed that on the main page of ESPN.com, they actually have a headline in the news section that mentions someone setting a record for inhaling hot dogs at a certain rate.

Makes me enjoy the fact that SI has a pretty spiffy web page with the added bonus of having a "SI Photos" section. Ahh, gotta love the SI Photo section during NFL/NBA season. All those picture sets of cheerleaders and dance teams. mmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:59 pm 

The Nathan's hot dog eating contest is must see fourth of july viewing for me. If you watch it, they act like it is the greatest sporting event in the world(in jest) and it's by far the most amusing sport out there(besides backyard toddler kickboxing). I guess it isn't for everyone but I personally love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:33 am 

It was good tv in a twisted sort of way. And now, after 9 long and painful years, America has recovered the title. I love this counrty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:35 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
We watched it and were laughing about it all afternoon.

Kobayashi's "Reversal of Fortune" was a controversial and dramatic ending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:15 am 

That was the part i loved that they had a technical term for puking a "reversal"

Look out he is going to Reverse!