It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:24 am 

Is it just me or does this argument make no sense whatsoever? Why would you NOT want a superstar from a rival team to join your team? Back in the day, if Jamal Anderson wanted to join the Saints, I would’ve accepted him whole heartedly. If Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber, or Steve Smith wants to join the Saints, I’d be the first to welcome them on the plane.

To say you wouldn’t want a rival star is so provincial, you may as well join the Amish.

What I hate is when guys from my team LEAVE for a rival, so it’s the other side of the coin. When Hebert went to the Falcons, my heart was broken. In New Orleans, they burned his jerseys. Joe Horn is the latest in this, only he’s at the end of his career and can’t do what he did before anyway. But I hate when Saints players leave and go to the Falcons. Or anybody in their division. Because…mainly…the player that used to help you now can beat you. And that hurts a lot worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:27 am 

Actually Zack, I get it. I wouldn't want some super star from another team coming here because I know his "heart" is not here....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:44 am 

athletes don't have hearts anymore. they're trained to only love money :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:23 am 

W_Z wrote:
Is it just me or does this argument make no sense whatsoever? Why would you NOT want a superstar from a rival team to join your team? Back in the day, if Jamal Anderson wanted to join the Saints, I would’ve accepted him whole heartedly. If Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber, or Steve Smith wants to join the Saints, I’d be the first to welcome them on the plane.

To say you wouldn’t want a rival star is so provincial, you may as well join the Amish.

What I hate is when guys from my team LEAVE for a rival, so it’s the other side of the coin. When Hebert went to the Falcons, my heart was broken. In New Orleans, they burned his jerseys. Joe Horn is the latest in this, only he’s at the end of his career and can’t do what he did before anyway. But I hate when Saints players leave and go to the Falcons. Or anybody in their division. Because…mainly…the player that used to help you now can beat you. And that hurts a lot worse.

I was listening to this discussion on my way to work and I was gonna post this too. I completely agree with you. If Brett Favre came over to the Bears 10 years ago (or this year) and you boycotted the team because a rival team's player has joined your team...that doesn't make you a Bear fan, that makes you a moron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:26 am 

I think it would feel weird for a little while, but if he succeeds I think I would warm up to the situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:41 am 
1000 CLUB

I would root for them. But it would sting more if we were to lose with these rival guys then lose without them. I mean it would have to be a championship - not just winning seasons.

But of course you would root for them. Rodman is the perfect example. Albert Belle was another one but the Sox lost with him. He did put up good numbers. Sox fans grew to hate him while he was here because he was an ass hole more so then a former Indian. So he's not the best example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
W_Z wrote:

Is that some sort of slam on my fantasy football team (Amish Electricians)? :evil:

Anyway, the "superstar" argument isn't cut and dry in my mind. In this particular case, I would not want Kobe if it meant losing 4 of our current players. The current team made it to the second round of the playoffs and I'm excited about this season to see if they can improve.

If the Bulls sucked ass, then yes, send the whole team out west to get Kobe.

If it is simply a question of having a "star" rival playing for my team (without questioning what we give up to get him) then I don't give a shit. For the most part, any time the players talk about a rivalry, it's for the fans benefit. They couldn't care less. Do you honestly think that Lovie only REALLY wants to beat the Packers? No. He said what he said because he knew it would make him a fan favorite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:01 am 

Killer V wrote:

Is that some sort of slam on my fantasy football team (Amish Electricians)? :evil:

i've got oxymoronophobia what can i say?

Quote:
Anyway, the "superstar" argument isn't cut and dry in my mind. In this particular case, I would not want Kobe if it meant losing 4 of our current players. The current team made it to the second round of the playoffs and I'm excited about this season to see if they can improve.

If the Bulls sucked ass, then yes, send the whole team out west to get Kobe.

my argument has more to do with "fan loyalty" than it does with just stars in general. a star from a rival team helping your team...like, as mentioned before, if brett favre could come to the bears, why would you not want him?

Quote:
If it is simply a question of having a "star" rival playing for my team (without questioning what we give up to get him) then I don't give a shit. For the most part, any time the players talk about a rivalry, it's for the fans benefit. They couldn't care less. Do you honestly think that Lovie only REALLY wants to beat the Packers? No. He said what he said because he knew it would make him a fan favorite.

Right, but even now with so much free agency, you'd probably hate a beloved player LEAVING your team now, rather than hate a player from a rival team COMING to your team.

but on the Kobe argument, which is different, you shouldn't blow up a team for a super star. The Lakers themselves did this...how many championships have they won since?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:18 am 
1000 CLUB

D.Rodman worked out pretty well for the Bulls. You may hate a player on a rival team, but if he's able to help your team, a lot of those bad memories can be overlooked.

Post subject: I dont care
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:07 pm 

I want a good player on the Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks or Bulls I don't care where he played.

I can't think of a current Cardinal who is a player I want where the Cubs don't have a good player (namely Pujols) but if Lee were to vanish and Pujols came here I wouldn't mind.

Post subject: Re: I dont care
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

parkridgesteph wrote:
I want a good player on the Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks or Bulls I don't care where he played.

I can't think of a current Cardinal who is a player I want where the Cubs don't have a good player (namely Pujols) but if Lee were to vanish and Pujols came here I wouldn't mind.

Off the top of my head, I'd say Jason Isringhausen, though he's getting a bit old.