It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:42 pm 

Anyone else hear that this morning? Golic kind of remarked about it off the cuff the other day. They did something they rarely do, take callers comments (topic was Troy Williamson missing last week's game b/c of his grandma's funeral) and the caller had a follow up question and point blanked asked "Did you admit to using steroids?" and Golic said "yes" and Greenie changed the topic as quickly as humanly possible. It was awkward to listen to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

I heard it both times.

Pretty shocking admission considering how often ESPN beats the steriod issue into the ground on both TV and radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

What was so "shocking", that he answered honestly or that a former interior lineman in the NFL used steroids 10 years ago?

Get your head out of the sand people. I'm sure they were at ND as well when he was there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:09 pm 

Wow- I didn't hear that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

The former.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Steroids were rampant in the late 70's until the early 2000's in the Big Ten. I have first hand knowledge as well as being acquaintences with a few former interior lineman who played at Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa.
There was no drug testing for performance enhancers, weed, blow.....there was no testing whatsoever.
I thought Golic's honesty was and is refreshing........ no need to be ashamed or feel bad about it. It's just the way it was. Does anyone really think that the Monsters of the Midway from 1982-1995 were clean???
There shouldn't be any moral outrage....it'sjust the way it was. nd many of these guys are paying for it now. They wrack the body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:21 pm 

I wasn't as shocked about it as I was thinking that it was a really awkward radio moment. It's rare for Mike & Mike to take calls, and it seems like (probably obvious) that they only do it when they don't have many guests lined up that day.

The caller who asked the question was very articulate and intelligent on his comments on Troy Williamson, and then just out of the blue he asked Golic about his steriod use. To Golic's credit, he answered the question. The awkwardness came when Greenie couldn't change the subject quickly enough. It was just a strange minute or so of radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

The entire 85 Bears offensive line was on steroids. Even Mr. Good guy Thayer. There is no doubt in my mind.

Have you seen all of these guys? They've all shrunk to nothing since they retired. Hell, they all look sickly if you ask me.

Thayer, Hilgenberg, Covert, and Van Horn at least.

I haven't seen Bortz since he retired

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

You have no business being in the 1000 Club, Ungotz.

Why would you even apply knowing that you are 700+ posts away??

As a matter of fact, you're closer to no posts than you are to a thousand.

Sorry to pick on you like this, but it really infuriates me that people have the gall to apply for membership to groups they have no business joining. The fact that bf, succumbed and granted you access just makes it worse. It sets the precedence that you can be something that your not.

I guess I should really direct my anger at bigfan since he let you in, but I'll tell you right now, Ungotz, I for one would feel a lot better if you asked him to put you back in the 100 club for three reasons:

1. The 100 Club is not shabby at all. No shame there.

2. It will make those of us who legitimately belong, feel like the posting has been worthwhile and we're not banging some cheap prostitute.

3. What's right is right.

Ok - I'll get off my soapbox, but please do the right thing, Ungotz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:30 pm 

I thought we were talking about steroids?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

I don't know what the fuck NSJ is talking aobut. Maybe the 1000 Club membership is the highlight of his pathetic life, and to have an interloper such as myself in it just shows him how one mans "high point" in life is another mans "could give a shit one way or the other".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ungotz wrote:
I don't know what the fuck NSJ is talking aobut. Maybe the 1000 Club membership is the highlight of his pathetic life, and to have an interloper such as myself in it just shows him how one mans "high point" in life is another mans "could give a shit one way or the other".

Very well said, Ungotz. Sorry for venting.

I'm just upset/jealous that you asked for and were granted permission to this club by bigfan. I don't want to come across as righteous, but it's stuff like this that makes me wonder if it's even worth it.

What's done is done, but it just doesn't seem very fair to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

I didn't ask for any special treatment.
I must have gotten special dispensation from Pope Bigfan I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:18 pm 

NSJ wrote:
Ungotz wrote:

Very well said, Ungotz. Sorry for venting.

I'm just upset/jealous that you asked for and were granted permission to this club by bigfan. I don't want to come across as righteous, but it's stuff like this that makes me wonder if it's even worth it.

What's done is done, but it just doesn't seem very fair to me.

Actually NSJ I agree with you :shock: It took me over 2,000 posts to get into the 100 Club....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ungotz wrote:
I didn't ask for any special treatment.
I must have gotten special dispensation from Pope Bigfan I.

I'm just messing with you, man. I was just screwing around while I was on a useless conference call that required zero input on my part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Perhaps the quality of my posts are so high that one post by me is worth 100 post compared to a mere mortal. I will officially go one record to Bigfan and ask him to remove me from the 1000 Club. It will not alter the high quality of my posts but I hope that it will help soothe the people who got their panties in a wad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Seriously, no one cares.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:50 pm 

This reeks of hypocrisy.

There have been entire SHOWS dedicated to the likes of Gary Matthews Jr. and such when they have been implicated in the steroids mess. Now while it does surprise me that Golic is so up front about all this, I think he is still culpable for his actions.

I bet there was an interesting exchange between Greeny and Golic at the first commercial break after that came out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:51 pm 

Teddy G's Best Source wrote:
This reeks of hypocrisy.

There have been entire SHOWS dedicated to the likes of Gary Matthews Jr. and such when they have been implicated in the steroids mess. Now while it does surprise me that Golic is so up front about all this, I think he is still culpable for his actions.

I bet there was an interesting exchange between Greeny and Golic at the first commercial break after that came out.

I am sure that Greeny has heard it before. THe guys have worked together for almost a decade, you dont think it ever came up before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:56 pm 

OldSchoolScoreFan wrote:
This reeks of hypocrisy.

I am sure that Greeny has heard it before. THe guys have worked together for almost a decade, you dont think it ever came up before?

Not publicly. I am sure Greeny is one of those people that takes public perception very seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:19 pm 

OldSchoolScoreFan wrote:
This reeks of hypocrisy.

Without a doubt.....
Not publicly. I am sure Greeny is one of those people that takes public perception very seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:42 pm 

According to Awful Announcing, the Mike & Mike podcast from last Friday's show completely removed the call in segment from the podcast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
This did come up publicly before. Thats the reason the caller asked about it. I can't remember the exact date, but Golic touched on the fact that he briefly used steroids when rehabing from a shoulder injury. He said it was for two weeks I think. I believe it came up because Greenberg said if he were an athlete and he knew of other athletes who used performance enhancing drugs, he would have no problem turning them in. When Greenberg brought up a hypothetical situation, Golic admitted to using steroids in the past. The conversation ended soon after that so I'm pretty sure someone else told them to stay away from that topic. It was pretty awkward when the caller brought it up again, but it should be noted that Greenberg didn't have a problem talking about it previously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
guys.
i want to come clean.

i have used steroids as well. they were prescribed by my surgeon and i only had about 15cc's total....5 injections. i am sorry. i hope you don't feel that my records are tainted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
There should be an * by your 1000 Club title I'm afraid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
KDdidit wrote:
There should be an * by your 1000 Club title I'm afraid.

:lol: NSJ as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
I applied and was accepted to the 1000 club, but i don't have the corresponding notation. I'm afraid it all feels so hollow right now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:02 pm 

I'm in the same boat Baku.... it's like applying for 136 jobs and never getting one.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
142, thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:12 pm 

Sorry about that Spmack...