It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:05 pm 

I've seen movies less scripted than this show. I've seen comedians who don't rely on as much shtick. They have some decent interviews but most of the time the show is a huge snorefest. Every so often they will share an opinion or two but most of the time it seems like they are just playing a character.

Greeny is a metrosexual.
Golic is a big dumb jock.
We get it. No need to beat that idea into the ground.

Mike and Mike is like the sports radio version of "According To Jim". Nothing new or entertaining. The same thing over and over again. The stories are the only things that change.

I never listen on the radio as I'd rather listen to music on XM rather than this show but this is sometimes better than a taped sportscenter airing on the other network. Even with no other good options on tv, I still end up changing the channel after 5 minutes.

This show sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:08 pm 

Rick

Tell us how you really feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:17 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Rick

I'm just trying to save the board. Supposedly it isn't as good as it was two years ago.

Maybe though, my joining the board began the beginning of the end of the "golden age".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Rick

I'm just trying to save the board. Supposedly it isn't as good as it was two years ago.

Maybe though, my joining the board began the beginning of the end of the "golden age".

I'm sorry but once you open the board to Purdue people, that's what tends to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:24 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Rick

I'm sorry but once you open the board to Purdue people, that's what tends to happen.

I can't argue with that. I definitely enjoyed this board much more before I knew about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:33 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Rick

I can't argue with that. I definitely enjoyed this board much more before I knew about it.

I feel the same way. Before that Rick was here, it was a nice place to spend a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:03 pm 

Okay Rick, I'll give you my .02. When I travel I can still here/watch Mike & Mike. They are national so they have to be vanilla enough to apease a large, generic audience. Greeny spent some time at NorthWestern (not Purdue) so he does have an extra interest in Chicago.
I dunno. I like them. Apparently I am not alone. Aren't you riveted by their halfthalalon? I can't wait for the ping pong match to be honest with you.
Maybe they aren't that great, but Kathy & Judy aren't really my type.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I've tuned in lately because I can't get enough coverage of "Spygate."

Spygate....everybody panic...?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I'm not surprised that Rick doesn't understand the concept of popularity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:07 pm 

Killer V wrote:
I'm not surprised that Rick doesn't understand the concept of popularity.

:cry: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:17 pm 

HappyHour Jason wrote:
Okay Rick, I'll give you my .02. When I travel I can still here/watch Mike & Mike. They are national so they have to be vanilla enough to apease a large, generic audience. Greeny spent some time at NorthWestern (not Purdue) so he does have an extra interest in Chicago.
I dunno. I like them. Apparently I am not alone. Aren't you riveted by their halfthalalon? I can't wait for the ping pong match to be honest with you.

That makes sense. The show does reach to a large audience. It just seems like they are reading from a script for the show. I have a hard time really caring about anything they say because I can't separate the actual sports talk from the gimmicks.

I am sure that many people would think my morning sports talk choice sucks also. In case you are wondering, it's Steve Czaban.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Wayne's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This show sucks.

not as bad as mr norths (my oppinion).
Also, Dont forget, the metrosexual & the big dumb jock beat Mike North, 4.5 to 3.7, from 6-9 a.m.

How Big is Your Buona?

David Haugh WHO ARE YO CRAPPIN??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Why a Chicago Sports fan would like any National show is beyond me. Ok, I get it, National Shows have higher profile guests and have more general vanilla appeal. But to someone like me who LOVES Chicago sports, I would MUCH prefer a local show.
However, this being a huge radio market, we really don't have a viable alternative to M&M for our morning sports, do we? We are kind of stuck with the famous Tallest Midget.
If any of the other Score programs was on opposite of M&M I think you would see a fairly dramatic change in ratings. Most who listen to M&M in Chicago would switch quickly to a coherent morning host.
I don't like M&M anymore. Now I listen more to 780 in the morning, and wait for S&W.

As for these guys ? I don't really think they have appeal. I think they're just the best show in the mornings in a greatly untapped potential market.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:29 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
HappyHour Jason wrote:

That makes sense. The show does reach to a large audience. It just seems like they are reading from a script for the show. I have a hard time really caring about anything they say because I can't separate the actual sports talk from the gimmicks.

I am sure that many people would think my morning sports talk choice sucks also. In case you are wondering, it's Steve Czaban.

I wouldn't say script as much as I would say "theme". Sadly I have already forgotten what today's theme was but they will do some non sports related issue and then ask all of their callers the same question, I find it interesting to hear a sports guy rate a non sports related issue.
But I am also famous for blowing up washers so what do I know.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Think of MIke and Mike the same way you would a so-so sitcom that a lot of people watch. They don't tune in because it's great, they're just comfortable with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:42 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:
Think of MIke and Mike the same way you would a so-so sitcom that a lot of people watch. They don't tune in because it's great, they're just comfortable with it.

Somedays that is as good as it gets....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Darkside wrote:
Why a Chicago Sports fan would like any National show is beyond me.

when you see the menu of local sports shows on the air around here, it isnt that surprising that people would listen to the national show. i love local sports as much as the next guy, but the local guys beat the crap out of local topics just as bad as national guys pound on the national stuff. there is only so much cubs, sox, bulls/paxson/coach hunt, cedric benson talk i can handle. i like to hear national talk occasionally. i was ready to swallow a pistol listening to all the on and on talk about the big lance briggs holdout threat last year. hours and hours on that one topic (particularly the score).

in the case of mike and mike, is there really any doubt why people listen to it? what are the choices? mike and mike know more in each of their little fingers about sports than mike north knows in his entire body! the mike and mike show is definitely scripted. so what? so is every credible news broadcast. since when is having a plan or an idea of what you want to cover a "bad" thing? mike north might want to consider some kind of direction for his show.

i love local and national sports, but i dont find it that odd that a local sports fan wants to see what else is going on once in a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Colonel Angus wrote:

no disagreement with that statement. mike and mike never make me want to kick the radio to shut them up (although the "sheets of integrity" bit comes close). they are comfortable. they seem like decent guys. they are corny, but they are respectful of the listener, the guests and each others opinion. professional. mike north is none of the above. he is a blowhole, thats his gig, but that turns a lot of people off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:35 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
I liked waking up and watching the show on ESPN2 in the morning when I was living in DC. I never listen now though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Well put Rick. If you don't mind, I'd like to quote you in the signature. You totally nailed it.

Quote:
Mike and Mike is like the sports radio version of "According To Jim".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

http://score670.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7867

I was so pissed this day. I just get so pissed because these two act like God's gift to the world, and unfortunately, so many morons for these two bumbling like idiots doing schtick highly entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:10 am 

[quote="man of few opinions"]in the case of mike and mike, is there really any doubt why people listen to it? what are the choices? mike and mike know more in each of their little fingers about sports than mike north knows in his entire body![quote]

Wow. I'll take North vs Greeny all day long and twice on Sundays when it comes to knowing sports. From both the perspective of watching and analyzing a game and also from the perspective of a former athlete. North isn't always correct(like me :P ), but he offers far deeper insight. There. Feel free to rip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:15 am 

Woodridge Ryan wrote:
Well put Rick. If you don't mind, I'd like to quote you in the signature. You totally nailed it.

Quote:
Mike and Mike is like the sports radio version of "According To Jim".

You are always free to use my quotes to look more intelligent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
scorehead # 84 wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
in the case of mike and mike, is there really any doubt why people listen to it? what are the choices? mike and mike know more in each of their little fingers about sports than mike north knows in his entire body!
Quote:

Wow. I'll take North vs Greeny all day long and twice on Sundays when it comes to knowing sports. From both the perspective of watching and analyzing a game and also from the perspective of a former athlete. North isn't always correct(like me :P ), but he offers far deeper insight. There. Feel free to rip!

You mean like the fact that he doesn't know who Hanley Ramirez and Cliff Lee are? Not to mention Al Jefferson....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:59 am 

scorehead # 84 wrote:

"Former athlete"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

Rick, I can't help myself but come back to this thread as any time I hear these two obnoxious ass clowns I just want to puke. I am so SICK of their schtick and what really iritates me is Greeny thinks its good schtick. God it pisses me off these two guys are as popular as they are. I guess it shows just how stupid America is once again. I also can not stand Liam and whatever the other douchebag's name is. No, they aren't funny. No, your parody songs aren't that great. Greenie, shut the hell up or just stick to sports instead of all this other obnoxious self induglent shit you have to talk about. God they make me want to destroy something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:23 pm 

their interns, liam and joaquin, are probably two of the most nauseating interns i've ever heard on the air, and that's COUNTING howard stern's.

there is absolutely nothing clever that they ever do, and everything is so set up and predictable that...yeah, i can't listen to more than one segment usually.

tirico is just as bad but at least his show's only 2 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:20 pm 

Woodridge Ryan,
It sounds like you need an XM radio. :)

These guys suck, but kind of like herpes, they are avoidable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

They are and I usually do. Sun Times has my attention in the morning. It's just if it happens to be on for 10 minutes in the morning on TV or something, I'll hear five minutes of the most obnoxious shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Anyone catch Golic going off on Mike McCarthy for his comments about Favre's locker? Thought it was pretty humorous.