It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:47 pm 

Its garbage...problem for Chi is that Pappy is Crappy and average drop-in listener defaults to the ESPN name. Additionally, your other option on TV sports in the morn is SC re-runs, it will be interesting to see what happens when Hannah Storm takes over in Aug with the fresh SC programming in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Wayne's Pizza
Crystal Lake Hoffney wrote:
Anyone catch Golic going off on Mike McCarthy for his comments about Favre's locker? Thought it was pretty humorous.

that was like the only time ive ever heard golic be funny.

How Big is Your Buona?

David Haugh WHO ARE YO CRAPPIN??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:13 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
rhino wrote:
Crystal Lake Hoffney wrote:
Anyone catch Golic going off on Mike McCarthy for his comments about Favre's locker? Thought it was pretty humorous.

that was like the only time ive ever heard golic be funny.

Hes okay in doses. You have to remember the guy is fighting a huge amount of retardation from his days of football.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I think the popularity of "Mike & Mike" has to do in part with a simulcast that airs on ESPN2 and occasionally on either ESPNEWS or ESPN Classic whenever there's an actual game happening that early in the AM. Not to say you'd really want to see what Greenberg & Golic actually look like on TV and in HD to boot. I think because of the simulcast, "Mike & Mike" has taken off big time. The only thing I'm not sure of though is how they're doing since MSNBC pulled the plug on Don Imus last year after his idiotic remarks about Rutgers' women's basketball. I know Robin Meade and her "Morning Express" on CNN Headline has really taken off since Imus left...Trust me, Robin is easier on the eyes than "Mike & Mike" combined...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

They have no local competition, they're up against the Mike North Morning Shitfest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:36 pm 

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
HappyHour Jason wrote:
Okay Rick, I'll give you my .02. When I travel I can still here/watch Mike & Mike. They are national so they have to be vanilla enough to apease a large, generic audience. Greeny spent some time at NorthWestern (not Purdue) so he does have an extra interest in Chicago.
I dunno. I like them. Apparently I am not alone. Aren't you riveted by their halfthalalon? I can't wait for the ping pong match to be honest with you.
Maybe they aren't that great, but Kathy & Judy aren't really my type.....

Actually I was generally amused by their first event today, the HORSE game. I was pretty much laughing at, not with, them, but I think thats what they aim for with their schtick. I found it hilarious that Greeny couldnt hit layups, and since Golic could, it reminded Greeny that Golic is a world class athlete(For those who didnt hear Im lifting this basically word for word from the show). This was a solid 95 on the comedy scale.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Lack of competition makes this show popular. Obviously the sports radio here sucks big time in the morning but you'd be surprised how bad it is in other places too. I travel a lot and there isn't a whole lot out there. In New York they have Boomer and Carton which is barely better than North if you can believe it. The radio isn't any better in SoCal either...in fact it really sucks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:19 am 

Wow... Greeny and Wingo were going out of their way to up the hyperbole today. In talking about the Mets firing Willie Randolph at 3:15 AM this morning via press release, in the past hour they have described the firing as deplorable, inexcusable, unfathomable, an abomination, and the worst, most undiginified, cowardly firing ever. That might be a bit much, no?

Also in talking about the playoff yesterday, they described it as as good a day in sports as there ever was. Again, it was a great event and had a non-golf fan in me interested, but "as good a day in sports as there ever was"? A bit much also, no?

This, in effect, is the epitomy of why so many sports fans have been turned off by ESPN. When you have great sports moments, it almost ruins them when you are trying to one-up eachother so much in the praise given or the rhetoric spoken.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:51 am 

I liken their knowledge of sports to the way they go about formulating their opinions: Greenie goes into small dissertations where he tries to inject a tangential third side non-sports aspect, and thus fails to connect with an audience like myself.

North takes on the complex question and gives the Rodney Dangerfield-like Back to School answer of “four.” And while credit is due for being right, it can’t be used as the proof that he is correct with every other question/issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
FavreFan wrote:
Wow... Greeny and Wingo were going out of their way to up the hyperbole today. In talking about the Mets firing Willie Randolph at 3:15 AM this morning via press release, in the past hour they have described the firing as deplorable, inexcusable, unfathomable, an abomination, and the worst, most undiginified, cowardly firing ever. That might be a bit much, no?

At least it wasn't on Christmas Eve. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:47 am 

i no longer can stand it. i just listen to cds in the morning. the national radio is crappy at all time slots now so i just avoid it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Mike and Mike are good enough to get it done...but when they could be making even more inroads here with North gone, they've been off the air? I gotta say I like 'em cause they work well together....and tha's it...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:09 pm 

HappyHour Jason wrote:
Maybe they aren't that great, but Kathy & Judy aren't really my type.....

How'bout a different "Kathy" and "Judy"? Don't let 'us' down... :wink: :lol:

(Sorry, I'd have never seen this one but for the new board format...and I know it's a cheap one :P )

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:06 am 

Im probably one of the few on here that wouldnt mind a national show over a local show, if done right. My biggest problem with this show is that they spend four hours discussing 2 or 3 topics. I wish they would spend about 3-4 minutes on every game played the day before and provide a bit of analysis on the game and the teams. They never actually discuss the on-field aspect of the sports, which is what Im most interested in. Instead, they just spend hours trying to create a topic out of nothing. Its annoying. If they discussed national sports and analyzed all the teams and the on-field topics, I would make it a point to listen.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:52 am 

Good points, FF.

Most of that repetition is, of course, because the format is built for hour-long morning drives in four time zones. Granted, it often seems like they're doing radio for the ESPN staff, where they just focus in on whatever was a big story on ESPN or ESPN.com the day before. If it's an on-field topic, it works... but otherwise it gets tedious. (Roger Clemens, anyone?)

Regarding the national focus, I think they do a much better job than the prior or current local competition. I and others have made this point elsewhere: a lot of sports fans in town grew up somewhere else and still follow our hometown teams, and M&M are pretty much the only game in town if you want any national coverage.

Case in point: college football, for which the local radio shows have so little time...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:21 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The show is a bore..Period..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:28 pm 

what sports radio show do you listen to, full moon?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:20 am 

courtesy flush wrote:

Case in point: college football, for which the local radio shows have so little time...

Chicago is a horrible college football town. Now if you were in say Madison, WI - I'm sure you get Badgers talk more than you would want.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:33 pm 

I would just clarify that by adding that Chicago isn't a sports town in terms of the local media.

You would think from local media coverage that no one in town follows college sports. And yet that isn't the case. There are bars packed with college football fans, guys with flags and stuff on their cars year round, all kinds of alumni clubs, people in jerseys, etc. I can listen to football and basketball broadcasts for a dozen schools. Heck, on my street alone people fly flags for Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa and Notre Dame.

It's like we just disappear for all but the bowl season and March Madness. Anyway, to bring this back to the popularity of Mike & Mike... for better or worse, they're the only game in town for anything more than cursory analysis of college sports.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:37 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
courtesy flush wrote:
Heck, on my street alone people fly flags for Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa and Notre Dame.

You should move to a better neighborhood.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Courtesy Flush, do we share the same block? Or the same brain? I agree that this is the worst town for college sports of any place I've ever lived. And that includes a few other major cities with multiple pro teams. Maybe if some of these sports radio guys had gotten out a bit more in their own lives, or perhaps if they had gone to major sports schools themselves, they would have a bit broader view of college sports. But alas, they don't. They think we're all meatballs who only care about Bears + Cubs + White Sox + a little Bulls and Hawks. Fans who care only about those teams are the locals' target market and focusing on them delivers consistently mediocre to poor, but acceptable ratings. I've given up expecting the chicago radio guys to "get it" about college sports. They all stick to their variations of their meatball local yokel formula and nobody dares do something different to try to reach the thousands of college sports fans here. So we go elsewhere for our college sports info. There are several good sports programs that dish college sports..especially in season...on XM and Sirius.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I think you view it little different because you like the gambling angle. I don't follow collegiate level sports especially the big 10 as closely as I did 5 years ago. I don't have the time and have lost some of the interest. You'd also have to cover a pretty big range and a lot of people don't have the interest in it to begin with. That being said I'd like more college sports talk.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:14 am 

Coast, I'd be interested if you could give me ratings comparing MJH's leading it's target demo to other major cities who you seem to say "get it." Mac has had enough #1 rated shows in this town over the last two decades to know what sells to radio consumers and what doesnt. Dont forget his cardinal rule, it's not his job to create interest, just to reflect it. To diminish him and other top rated shows in this city seems silly. He's in the business of garnering ratings, and he seems to do it quite well. If that means less college talk, so be it.

Don't confuse this with your Wimbledon Critics. I very much agreed with you there in the fact that I think its disrespectful to insult another person's interests in particular sports. But I think Zach and maybe you agree that it's fine if he doesnt talk about it, if thats not what will garner the most listeners. This may be one of the worst college cities you've seen, but your blaming the radio hosts and borderline personally insulting them by saying they need to get out more I think is showing a naivety in their business. Their job is to gain the most listeners possible, plain and simple. Guys like Mac have shown they know how to do that, no offense, better than you or I do.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:46 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
In season, MJH talk a TON of college football, and quite a bit about the NCAA Bball tourney.

As far as doing something different, "Who do you love" is always at least 50% college football.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:54 am 

I don't like College football (just my pref.) but as far as college basketball, B & B do a good enough job for me...but yes, I do supplement college BB coverage with TV and XM if I need it....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:55 am 

MJH's segments with Howard Griffith are outstanding. I love that guy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
W_Z wrote:
MJH's segments with Howard Griffith are outstanding. I love that guy.

Didn't he have a sitcom with Don Knotts and Ron Howard in the 50s?

Before anyone corrects me...keep in mind that it's a joke.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
It was the 60s. And I think early 70s after Knotts left.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
It was the 60s. And I think early 70s after Knotts left.
I believe you're referring to the "Andy Griffith Show", which was a cult favorite when Don Knotts played Deputy Barney Fife and was real good in black & white before it was terrible circa 1966 to the end in Technicolor...Howard Griffith was Terrell Davis' fullback with the Denver Broncos and has become a studio analyst on the Big Ten Network, which I get on DIRECTV 220.