It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Mike & Mike Musings
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:13 am 

Let me start off by saying, I think this show is terrible and is a perfect example of everything that is wrong with ESPN. However, I just cannot listen to Mully & Hanley anymore in the morning. I only have a 5-10 commute every morning, so I am not a big time listener like some of you might be. I usually lean towards Mike & Mike because they usually have a guest on during the time I am driving to work.

The thing I have been noticing lately, is that Mike & Mike never have an opinion on any controversial subject. They were discussing Michael Vick's possible reinstatement in the NFL and neither of them took a position. All they did was read emails and played devils advocate. These guys never give their thoughts on subjects that deserve intelligent debate. This is probably a decision handed down from Bristol. They don't want to offend any of the ESPN sheep. Which I think is the greatest problem with the network (Radio & TV). They never take a stand on anything.

On the other hand, you have Boers & Bernstein which is always a hot topic of complaining here. Their show is all their opinion and nothing else. The only other opinions generally allowed to make it on the air are from unintelligent dopes who do a very poor job at expressing them, which then leads to them being ridiculed. If B&B would find some sort of happy medium, they would be the top sports show in the city. It's always good to have a host that can stand behind an argument, and a show that will insult dopes who deserve it. But if you devote your entire show to these principles it becomes a tad boring, just like Mike & Mike.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:52 pm 

my commute is pretty much the same and i agree; actually m&H are usually on commercial most of the time i'm on that commute...so i just wind up listening to a few songs, silence, or a few minutes of M&M.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Douchebag wrote:
Let me start off by saying, I think this show is terrible and is a perfect example of everything that is wrong with ESPN. However, I just cannot listen to Mully & Hanley anymore in the morning. I only have a 5-10 commute every morning, so I am not a big time listener like some of you might be. I usually lean towards Mike & Mike because they usually have a guest on during the time I am driving to work.

The thing I have been noticing lately, is that Mike & Mike never have an opinion on any controversial subject. They were discussing Michael Vick's possible reinstatement in the NFL and neither of them took a position. All they did was read emails and played devils advocate. These guys never give their thoughts on subjects that deserve intelligent debate. This is probably a decision handed down from Bristol. They don't want to offend any of the ESPN sheep. Which I think is the greatest problem with the network (Radio & TV). They never take a stand on anything.

On the other hand, you have Boers & Bernstein which is always a hot topic of complaining here. Their show is all their opinion and nothing else. The only other opinions generally allowed to make it on the air are from unintelligent dopes who do a very poor job at expressing them, which then leads to them being ridiculed. If B&B would find some sort of happy medium, they would be the top sports show in the city. It's always good to have a host that can stand behind an argument, and a show that will insult dopes who deserve it. But if you devote your entire show to these principles it becomes a tad boring, just like Mike & Mike.

Well said and right on the money.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:56 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Mike and Mike are more a informative show than an opinion-based show.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:52 am 

Yesterday, when the 3 Golic brothers were on together? That was
an instant classic for radio, that 10 minute bit should be played
over and over. It was outstanding radio, the three Golic are hilarious,
and the story of Golic's dad telling Greenie "don't call me Mr. Golic!" I lost it! It even
got funnier and funnier the 4th and 5th time it was mentioned. Also, the story
of Bob bringing beer to his brothers at ND, reminds me of Golic's son getting busted!
Oh, the hilarity.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:44 am 

pizza_Place: Mushroom
Yesterday Liam's mum was on live and in describing her elation to her son's engagement, she said "My knees were in the air all night".

Apparently that's a British expression for dancing; however, M&M paused and even mentioned how they could have SO easily taken that in a different direction.

That was hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:39 pm 

I really get tired of their incessant self-promotion including their family members.They made a big deal when Mark S. son made the major leagues.I'm sure Golic will brag about his sons who are on the ND football team this year.Hey he should be proud but it is worth 1 minute of national airtime.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:06 pm 

mike greendberg has made a career off of looking good and saying nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's

Mike and Mike in the Mornings!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli