It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

I wasn't sure where to put this, so thought this was as good a place as any.

Donovan McNabb said yesterday that he considers Terrell Owens’ comments about him during the past season to be “black on black crime”. He said he had been widely criticized in his career, but he was very upset that another African American would criticize him.

If you recall, Owens told a reporter in November that he thought the Eagles would have been undefeated had they had Brett Favre at QB. Owens’ comments were disrespectful to his teammate McNabb, and were inappropriate, unprofessional and idiotic. No athlete should ever trash their teammate that way. It was the end of the end for the idiot Owens in Philly as his teammates wanted nothing to do with such a disloyal teammate.

McNabb had a right to feel offended. But for McNabb to imply that no black person should criticize another black athlete is ridiculous. Is that McNabb’s standard for public discourse? Is that standard shared by others in the black community? In other communities? Do Latinos believe they should not be criticized by other Latinos? Do Jewish Americans believe that no person from the Jewish community should criticize them? Do Japanese Americans frown on criticism from others in their community? This kind of comment would be no surprise from the race baiters and dividers like the Louis Farrakhans of the world. However, I’ve not seen much of this kind of skin tone protectionism from people like McNabb, who until this point, seemed like a reasonable person with reasonable ideas.

Owens’ insults have made McNabb the aggrieved party here. However, being victimized by Owens has apparently affected McNabb’s sensibilities about criticism. Or is this belief widely shared in the African American community?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:49 pm 

If Owens made any comments about McNabb being a bad QB because he was black, then yes Ownes comments would be counterproductive and I could see how that should be frowned upon in a community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Crime is crime. That black on black lament is something I don't get. It's like saying "Hey, if you have to rob someone, make it a white person." During the L.A riots, I heard black business owners saying they put signs in their storefronts saying "black owned, black operated". Their reasoning being so that their store wouldn't get looted. So does that mean, by all means go loot that Korean owned store? You see what I mean? I've just never been able to wrap my brain around the concept of crime against your own is somehow worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
or the inverse...that crime against another race is "o.k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:01 am 
I've use to always admire McNabe. I thought he took alot of undue critisism throughout his career. He always kept his mouth shut and took the high road. But I think he made a stupid comment this past week and really has lost some respect from me