It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 71641
Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I know an irish guy that drinks to excess and beats his wife. So if your Irish, sorry...but Cubbiegirlshamus was right to call you a wifebeater



I am white and can jump, but i am also part Irish and do not drink.

:cry: Stereotypes are so confusing.

Well Im 100% Irish, so Im gonna go outside and start a fight for no reason, before my morning whiskey

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:18 pm
Posts: 23379
Location: Rizzo fo Shizzo
pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
this stereotype talk is all fun and games until somebody develops a complex and then this happens

Image

_________________
That's my purse! I don't know you!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:18 pm
Posts: 3922
Location: Right here
pizza_Place: nowhere
I don't know why this thread was even started. Y'all know how this shit always ends up
Image
Image

_________________
"You can kill the revolutionary, but you can't kill the revolution."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:10 pm
Posts: 3093
Location: Gone
pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Puckhead wrote:
You had to stretch that a whole lot further than I have to stretch for the white racist stereotype.
It is still all subjective though. You see things and spread that over others who have never shown you those things. That's the same thing as my problem.


On the scale though, the stereotype that most white americans are racist towards black americans is much closer to being a reality than any of the other stereotypes offered up. Why? Because we have history to back us up. We have MLK. We have segregation. All of these are on a much grander scale of impact than the Irish being drunks, the Italian mobsters, the unintelligent Polish, the angry fat Germans, etc. It is also in our face much more on a daily basis. Black americans accusing of the race card, DWB, affirmative action, etc. Because of all of that, when I hear Greenberg mis-speak using a fairly common racist term, I am going to fall back on a very strong stereotype. As humans, we judge people. We judge based on stereotypes whether we like it or not, what we see and what we hear. I am hearing something that included in the stereotype makes part of a judgement that he may be in the "a lot or majority" of people who may be racist white americans. My judgement might be completely wrong, but I have to form it first, which is what I am saying there is nothing wrong with doing. What you are saying though is I should just ignore it as part of the judgement, that I should dismiss right off the bat that it is not part of the judgement.

_________________
Don Tiny wrote:
... except the night I dropped my pants and then loudly proclaimed I was the Whore of Babylon and demanded more wine, but that's another story.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:03 pm
Posts: 33591
Can we just fire Mike and Mike because they are bad?

_________________
I AM FASCINATED BY TALL MIDGET.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:46 pm
Posts: 20359
pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Don Tiny wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
I don't think you should accuse or assume anything.


I mean, for chrissakes .... the hypocrisy (or at least the lack of self-awareness) could almost be sliced and served on toast.
There are enough dumbasses in the world - please don't augment the list artificially just for the sake of posting something.


I didn't accuse or assume anything. I saw and heard video and had an opinion on it. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge it's a possibility tells me you are naive and the dumbass.

As I said before I think there are different levels.

Do you know somebody that is friendly with anyone and everyone in a public setting but makes tilted statements when they are around close friends?

Seacrest, you are funny and sweet in your own little way.

Edit: DT you've been here for almost a year. If I have something to say, I say it, and I'm usually not that extreme.


Last edited by Spaulding on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 54627
Location: To the left of my post
Puckhead wrote:
What you are saying though is I should just ignore it as part of the judgement, that I should dismiss right off the bat that it is not part of the judgement.
No. What I am saying is that approaching it with a preconceived notion and then looking for a nearly unprovable amount of evidence is wrong. It is very difficult to prove a negative. It would be like if you wanted to prove that someone wasn't a murderer. How do you prove that you've never killed someone? You can give all the evidence in the world but it's almost an impossible thing to prove. This isn't a court of law but that's the very basis of innocent until proven guilty. You should instead look for evidence that someone is racist and when that becomes apparent you make your determination otherwise you will always view the world with whatever preconceived notion you have.

Let's say that I decided that I thought almost everyone on here was some sort of addict to either drugs or alcohol. It would be very hard to have anyone prove without a shadow of a doubt that they aren't one. I could hang out with a person for a week and they could never have a drop of alcohol and I still wouldn't know what they do when I'm not around. Alcoholism is a big problem in the United States too. However, if I characterize almost everyone as being an alcoholic and then I wait for definitive proof of the fact they aren't I'm going to have a hard time finding anyone that I can definitely say isn't one.

The problem is that if you decide something is true, and then decide that the only way you will be convinced is if you get definitive proof that it is false, you are likely never to reach the threshold of evidence needed because proving a negative is very difficult and in some cases impossible.

I guess the difference is that I like to give people the chance to prove their ignorance while you think it is more accurate to assume everyone is ignorant and look for the extremely high threshold of evidence it would take to prove otherwise.

_________________
You do not talk to me like that! I work too hard to deal with this stuff! I work too hard! I'm an important member of the CSFMB! I drive a Dodge Stratus!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:10 am
Posts: 34242
Location: Rock Ridge (splendid!)
pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Spaulding wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
I don't think you should accuse or assume anything.


I mean, for chrissakes .... the hypocrisy (or at least the lack of self-awareness) could almost be sliced and served on toast.
There are enough dumbasses in the world - please don't augment the list artificially just for the sake of posting something.


I didn't accuse or assume anything. I saw and heard video and had an opinion on it. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge it's a possibility tells me you are naive and the dumbass.

As I said before I think there are different levels.

Do you know somebody that is friendly with anyone and everyone in a public setting but makes tilted statements when they are around close friends?

Seacrest, you are funny and sweet in your own little way.

Edit: DT you've been here for almost a year. If I have something to say, I say it, and I'm usually not that extreme.


Look, here's all I know based on this thread:

- At least one of us is a dumbass ... there might be enough circumstantial evidence to convict us both, though;

- We seek a common goal ... Bill Cowher

- Neither of us minces words

- Neither one of us speaks Chinese

- You have a willingness to kiss ugly things ... this is very good news for me

_________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been ... nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.
- Isaac Asimov


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:46 pm
Posts: 20359
pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
That's fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 71641
Don Tiny wrote:

- Neither one of us speaks Chinese


and your both swell lookers

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:11 pm
Posts: 38517
Spaulding wrote:
That's fine.


So it is going to end there? Booooo.

_________________
"He is a loathsome, offensive brute
--yet I can't look away."


FavreFan wrote:
RFDC: smart sports fan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:28 pm
Posts: 28980
Location: SW Burbs
Puckhead wrote:
Christ, I cant tell you how many people in high school made comments about how it was great to have the one black guy so that our basketball team will be good.

I did find one positive thing that came out of this thread: I'm not racist!!! I can't be because at the last Hoops event, I can't tell you how many times I thought to myself "Oh great, camps is on my team again. :roll: We lose.".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:10 am
Posts: 34242
Location: Rock Ridge (splendid!)
pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

- Neither one of us speaks Chinese


and you're both swell lookers


Johnny and the Mothers are playing "Stompin' at the Savoy" in Vermont tonight.

RFDC wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
That's fine.


So it is going to end there? Booooo.


We're tired .... and I'm waiting for my kiss so I can cop a quick feel, thank you.

_________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been ... nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.
- Isaac Asimov


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 3414
pizza_Place: Gino's East.
A weatherman was fired for the EXACT same slip up. Also below is a video of the same offense.

Weatherman Fired For On-Air Slur Against Martin Luther King Jr.
Posted: 3:16 pm EST January 17, 2005

LAS VEGAS -- A television weatherman was fired after referring to slain civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. as "Martin Luther Coon King" on the air, station officials said.

Rob Blair, of KTNV-TV, was delivering the extended forecast Saturday morning when he said: "Martin Luther Coon King Jr. Day, gonna see some temperatures in the mid-60s."

Jim Prather, vice president and general manager of the ABC affiliate, said Blair stumbled when he uttered the remark, but the excuse was not enough to save his job.

"This kind of incident is not acceptable under any circumstances, and I'm truly sorry that this event occurred," Prather said.

Blair, who worked at the station for about three months, apologized during the station's 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts Saturday.

According to a San Francisco newspaper, Blair said, "On a weather report earlier this morning, I made an accidental slip of the tongue when talking about the Martin Luther King holiday, and what I said was interpreted by many viewers as highly offensive. For that I offer my deepest apology. I in no way intended to offend anyone. I'm very sorry."


According to Blair's biography on KTNV's Web site, he started a radio career at the age of 14 in Indianapolis before moving moving to Orange County, Calif., to attend Chapman University. Blair has reportedly worked as a weather broadcaster in Palm Springs, Calif., Monterey and Chico, Calif.

http://www.foxreno.com/news/4089831/detail.html


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thJXKW43pnM&NR=1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 43912
Location: Palatine
pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Puckhead wrote:
On the scale though, the stereotype that most white americans are racist towards black americans is much closer to being a reality than any of the other stereotypes offered up. Why? Because we have history to back us up. We have MLK. We have segregation.


So because there was segregation 40-50 years ago, I'm probably racist? Considering half the white population(roughly, estimation) was born after that ended. There's definitely still racism in this country, but I find it hard to believe that over 50% of white people in this country are racist. I live in the deep south right now, a place where alot of people up north find it fun to accuse of being racist. I have met some racist people, but definitely under 50% of the ones I have met are racist.

_________________
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:10 pm
Posts: 22601
pizza_Place: ......
FavreFan wrote:
Puckhead wrote:
On the scale though, the stereotype that most white americans are racist towards black americans is much closer to being a reality than any of the other stereotypes offered up. Why? Because we have history to back us up. We have MLK. We have segregation.


So because there was segregation 40-50 years ago, I'm probably racist? Considering half the white population(roughly, estimation) was born after that ended. There's definitely still racism in this country, but I find it hard to believe that over 50% of white people in this country are racist. I live in the deep south right now, a place where alot of people up north find it fun to accuse of being racist. I have met some racist people, but definitely under 50% of the ones I have met are racist.


about 47%?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:26 pm
Posts: 30110
Location: West Side
pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
spanky wrote:
Puckhead wrote:
Christ, I cant tell you how many people in high school made comments about how it was great to have the one black guy so that our basketball team will be good.

I did find one positive thing that came out of this thread: I'm not racist!!! I can't be because at the last Hoops event, I can't tell you how many times I thought to myself "Oh great, camps is on my team again. :roll: We lose.".

HEY!!!!!!!!!!

_________________
Seacrest wrote:
I rarely troll.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:29 am
Posts: 45502
Location: Darkside Estates
You guys ever hear of the town that had a plaque thanking James Earl Ray on MLK day?
Some town called lauderhill. crazy story. I think I would have freaked out if I would have seen that.

_________________
"Play until it hurts, then play until it hurts to not play."
http://soundcloud.com/darkside124 HOF 2013, MM Champion 2014
bigfan wrote:
Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:10 am
Posts: 34242
Location: Rock Ridge (splendid!)
pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Darkside wrote:
You guys ever hear of the town that had a plaque thanking James Earl Ray on MLK day?
Some town called lauderhill. crazy story. I think I would have freaked out if I would have seen that.


I think you've got the story a little off ...

The way I recall it, James Earl Jones was in town for some reason or another (street after him? speaking engagement?) and they had a plaque made for him, but he was announced as James Earl Ray. I do think it was MLK day, but not sure.

_________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been ... nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.
- Isaac Asimov


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:29 am
Posts: 45502
Location: Darkside Estates
Don Tiny wrote:
Darkside wrote:
You guys ever hear of the town that had a plaque thanking James Earl Ray on MLK day?
Some town called lauderhill. crazy story. I think I would have freaked out if I would have seen that.


I think you've got the story a little off ...

The way I recall it, James Earl Jones was in town for some reason or another (street after him? speaking engagement?) and they had a plaque made for him, but he was announced as James Earl Ray. I do think it was MLK day, but not sure.


http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/mlkplaque.asp I had the story right. You're correct that James Earl Jones was supposed to speak, but it was an MLK day event.
REPENT SINNER!

_________________
"Play until it hurts, then play until it hurts to not play."
http://soundcloud.com/darkside124 HOF 2013, MM Champion 2014
bigfan wrote:
Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:10 am
Posts: 34242
Location: Rock Ridge (splendid!)
pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Darkside wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Darkside wrote:
You guys ever hear of the town that had a plaque thanking James Earl Ray on MLK day?
Some town called lauderhill. crazy story. I think I would have freaked out if I would have seen that.


I think you've got the story a little off ...

The way I recall it, James Earl Jones was in town for some reason or another (street after him? speaking engagement?) and they had a plaque made for him, but he was announced as James Earl Ray. I do think it was MLK day, but not sure.


http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/mlkplaque.asp I had the story right. You're correct that James Earl Jones was supposed to speak, but it was an MLK day event.
REPENT SINNER!


You'll get nothing and like it!

_________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been ... nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.
- Isaac Asimov


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:23 pm
Posts: 3021
Location: defying gravity
pizza_Place: Meet you at Arni's!
Maybe I'm naive....BUT, I just can't believe that this was intentional, or that this is the way that Mike Greenberg speaks or thinks. I tolerate Golic simply because he's a former Oiler, but I really like Mike Greenberg. I have watched and/or listened to his show at least an hour every day for the last 9 years...and almost all of it when I wasn't working. I've read his book. He has anxiety problems and low self-esteem. I find it very difficult to even consider that he could be racist. I really think he stumbled over the words "King" and "Junior".

I COULD BE COMPLETELY WRONG ABOUT THIS!

But I don't think I am, and I refuse to judge him based on this ONE incident in his long broadcasting career.

I despise racism and racists, and I choose to not associate with people once they reveal themselves to be so.

_________________
I follow where my mind goes...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:39 am
Posts: 13255
pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Houston Homer wrote:
Maybe I'm naive....BUT, I just can't believe that this was intentional, or that this is the way that Mike Greenberg speaks or thinks. I tolerate Golic simply because he's a former Oiler, but I really like Mike Greenberg. I have watched and/or listened to his show at least an hour every day for the last 9 years...and almost all of it when I wasn't working. I've read his book. He has anxiety problems and low self-esteem. I find it very difficult to even consider that he could be racist. I really think he stumbled over the words "King" and "Junior".

I COULD BE COMPLETELY WRONG ABOUT THIS!

But I don't think I am, and I refuse to judge him based on this ONE incident in his long broadcasting career.

I despise racism and racists, and I choose to not associate with people once they reveal themselves to be so.


I think you are dead on here HH. I did not start this thread suggesting Greenberg meant this in any way. I just said it was unfortunate. I am a very cynical person, but this was a stumble on words, not a repressed/subliminal thought coming out.

_________________
Telegram Sam wrote:
I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:23 pm
Posts: 3021
Location: defying gravity
pizza_Place: Meet you at Arni's!
Drop In wrote:
Houston Homer wrote:
Maybe I'm naive....BUT, I just can't believe that this was intentional, or that this is the way that Mike Greenberg speaks or thinks. I tolerate Golic simply because he's a former Oiler, but I really like Mike Greenberg. I have watched and/or listened to his show at least an hour every day for the last 9 years...and almost all of it when I wasn't working. I've read his book. He has anxiety problems and low self-esteem. I find it very difficult to even consider that he could be racist. I really think he stumbled over the words "King" and "Junior".

I COULD BE COMPLETELY WRONG ABOUT THIS!

But I don't think I am, and I refuse to judge him based on this ONE incident in his long broadcasting career.

I despise racism and racists, and I choose to not associate with people once they reveal themselves to be so.


I think you are dead on here HH. I did not start this thread suggesting Greenberg meant this in any way. I just said it was unfortunate. I am a very cynical person, but this was a stumble on words, not a repressed/subliminal thought coming out.


Thanks Drop In....I did not think that was what you suggested in your OP. I was just responding to some of the follow up posts. :wink:

ETA: and, YES, it was most unfortunate.

_________________
I follow where my mind goes...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:39 am
Posts: 13255
pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
I know you didn't. It was any posts suggesting the opposite I wanted to clear up.

_________________
Telegram Sam wrote:
I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:26 pm
Posts: 30110
Location: West Side
pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I want both you to say Arnold The Terminator's last name.

_________________
Seacrest wrote:
I rarely troll.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:39 am
Posts: 13255
pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
How dare you! :lol: :lol:

_________________
Telegram Sam wrote:
I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:23 pm
Posts: 3021
Location: defying gravity
pizza_Place: Meet you at Arni's!
spmack wrote:
I want both you to say Arnold The Terminator's last name.


Schwartz-ah-nayger?

_________________
I follow where my mind goes...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 11:10 am
Posts: 34242
Location: Rock Ridge (splendid!)
pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
spmack wrote:
I want both you to say Arnold The Terminator's last name.

:lol:

_________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been ... nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.
- Isaac Asimov


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group