It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greenberg's NBA dilemma
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Are we not allowed to post in this section anymore? I'm not sure what the etiquette is, but here goes.

While I was flipping stations during the morning commute, Greenberg said one of his problems with the NBA within the past few years and going forward is the discrepancy between the very good teams and the bad teams. He says there are about six teams in the league that can contend -- he and Golic disagreed about the exact number, but they generally agreed with the concept. They said that since the max salary is capped, and players are free to move wherever they want, they are looking towards other revenue streams. One popular option is Florida since there is no income tax there. Another option is L.A. or N.Y. since they have the glitz and glamor. They both said that they couldn't see any way to keep this from happening and that Stern should be up nights tossing and turning as a select few franchises go on to greatness and others can only dream of reaching that level.

They also made some good points. There are only 12-15 legitimate superstars in the NBA, so you have one for about every other team in the league. They also made the point that the NBA is probably the easiest of the sports to dominate with the least number of players -- NBA superstars will play in 90% of the team's minutes where the NFL and NHL cannot come close to those figures. MLB superstars may play that much (unless they are starting pitchers), but pitchers count so much, that I don't think you could dominate with three there.

Well the answer is kind of obvious, IMHO. Get rid of the artificial upper cap on salary, and institute a hard cap on team salaries league wide. You won't have a Miami situation again, because you'd find other teams willing to spend major major bucks in order to get a marquee guy to come there. Now, there's always the potential that three players decide to collude and go to the same team, but it is going to be a little bit harder to do so if the Nets are offering you 4 million more per year for 6 years. Money is the way to solve this problem -- I really don't know how the Mikes don't see this... unless maybe they want to make fake radio dilemmas on a boring sports Tuesday.