It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bill Curry
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:31 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Is there a worse contributor to any sports talk radio show that we're listening to (or not listening to) these days? I'm still trying to figure out what he has added to this program. He never has any thought provoking or new to bring to the table. This segment always seems to slow down the show. You can tell Mike and Mike love these guys like they're talking to their dad or grandpa, but it makes for boring radio for the rest of us. As much as I can't stand listening to Dick Vitale, I at least know he is watching sports today and truly knows the games going on right now, not twenty years ago. Anyone worse than Curry?

Post subject: Re: Bill Curry
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:42 am 
1000 CLUB

Woodridge Ryan wrote:
Is there a worse contributor to any sports talk radio show that we're listening to (or not listening to) these days? I'm still trying to figure out what he has added to this program. He never has any thought provoking or new to bring to the table. This segment always seems to slow down the show. You can tell Mike and Mike love these guys like they're talking to their dad or grandpa, but it makes for boring radio for the rest of us. As much as I can't stand listening to Dick Vitale, I at least know he is watching sports today and truly knows the games going on right now, not twenty years ago. Anyone worse than Curry?

Curry is a living legend!

He knows all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:48 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
He talks slowly.

Everyone sounds very smart whennnn theyyy talkkk..uh..uh...slowwwwllllyyyy. OK?

Great - now he's breaking out his standup act. Awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:52 am 
1000 CLUB

I'd just like to know when and how Golic and Greenberg decided that this guy should be their moral authority - I don't understand it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I was looking for this thread after I heard them discussing steroids and Curry says that first and foremost, we need to worry about the kids.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:29 am 
1000 CLUB

Bill Curry might be old school but that is why I like him. He has a rich football history in college and the Pro's. He is low key and humble and maybe he is like an older uncle or grandfather but that is even more reason to listen to what he says. It is respect for your elders. Nothing wrong with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:34 am 
1000 CLUB

Doesn't make for good radio though. I respect what he's done, but there are people his age with similar backgrounds that are much more interesting and say something much more insightful than Bill Curry. I'm fine with the role, they just have the wrong guy playing the part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

Woodridge Ryan wrote:
Doesn't make for good radio though. I respect what he's done, but there are people his age with similar backgrounds that are much more interesting and say something much more insightful than Bill Curry. I'm fine with the role, they just have the wrong guy playing the part.

I know he's a former Alabama coach, and I'm sure Mike and Mike were pretty eroused when they could have Curry talk about Saben, but from listening those two gush about him, you'd think he cured cancer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Woodridge Ryan wrote:
Doesn't make for good radio though.

Yeah. We need more hosts talking about paying off bets with wheelbarrows full of coins. Now THAT's good radio. Seems to me there is a huge (generation?) gap in how people define "good radio". Not every radio bit has to be directed at generation slacker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Not every radio bit has to be directed at generation slacker.

Nope, just the advertising! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yeah Scholar and I have spent years around the PR/Advertising industry and have never understood that flawed thinking that ratings and programming ought to skew to a younger demo. Most people in their 50s have far more disposable income than people in their 20s and 30s. The old advertising argument used to be that people bought more consumables and durables in their 20s and 30s. I really think this has changed as society has changed, but the old advertising saws are still accepted as good business. Most people I know buy a helluva lot more stuff at 51 than they did at 31. Yet the radio geeks target ads and ratings for young consumers who occupy a smaller portion of the population and the economy than the boomers. It made sense 20 years ago when the boomer population boom was in its 20s-40s. Today, it's old, outdated business logic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Quote:

Now that hurts. :cry:

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:49 pm 

Coast2Coast wrote:
Yeah Scholar and I have spent years around the PR/Advertising industry and have never understood that flawed thinking that ratings and programming ought to skew to a younger demo. Most people in their 50s have far more disposable income than people in their 20s and 30s. The old advertising argument used to be that people bought more consumables and durables in their 20s and 30s. I really think this has changed as society has changed, but the old advertising saws are still accepted as good business. Most people I know buy a helluva lot more stuff at 51 than they did at 31. Yet the radio geeks target ads and ratings for young consumers who occupy a smaller portion of the population and the economy than the boomers. It made sense 20 years ago when the boomer population boom was in its 20s-40s. Today, it's old, outdated business logic.

Coast,
I believe it has more to do with cultivating brand loyalties.
Most consumers in their 50's have a pretty good idea of what they want regardless of the advertising. Consumers in their 20's & 30's are more impressionable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

I understand that logic, Rob. I just think it's flawed. But I'm not going to go there with a dissertation on advertising strategies and brand loyalties.

Besides...the ratings are flawed, so why shouldn't the logic that justifies the target demos be flawed too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:

Ouch, tell us how you really feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:40 pm 

Coast2Coast wrote:
Woodridge Ryan wrote:
Doesn't make for good radio though.

Yeah. We need more hosts talking about paying off bets with wheelbarrows full of coins. Now THAT's good radio. Seems to me there is a huge (generation?) gap in how people define "good radio". Not every radio bit has to be directed at generation slacker.

I don't think generation slacker listens to the radio, Coast...they listen to podcasts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:44 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Quote:
[

I was going to read you whole post Coast, but I kind of got disinterested. Can somebody please summarize it for me?

I'm heading outside with my 'board to catch some air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ha. Coast, have you listened to Bill Curry? Have you heard how he has really never added anything at all to their program? Or are you just assuming that this "youngster" finds him boring because he doesn't talk fast and stutter like Sean Salisbury. I've got plenty of respect for older minds and find their input usually more insightful than others, but this guy just doesn't cut it for me. And yes, I know his history as a football coach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I think Coast2Coast might be an age-ist.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:11 am 

Hey Ryan, just thought you'd want to know that Bill Curry informed us today that players are often judged by the championships they win and Manning may fall prey to that if he fails to win one. That he may forever be judged by how he plays in these big games.

Curry said it. Thought you might want to fill in "Colt Nation" and get the word to Manning so he knows about this "championship" thing and that it is important that he start to play well in these types of games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:11 am 
1000 CLUB

Thanks Doctor. Really a remarkable idea Bill had this morning. I wonder if Peyton has heard of this.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
So I'm watching a re-broadcast of media day on the NFL Network right now and they're killing time while the Bears get their photo taken by hyping their on-going Greatest Superbowl team ever show. I guess tonight's is the Packer team that won the very first Superbowl in '66, on which, Bill Curry was a center. They showed a bit of an interview that they did with him and I have to say that is was a pretty powerful piece.

I managed to find a partial transcript:

“All my life I had been taught by the culture I was in that we were different and better than other people. I knew there was something wrong with that, but didn’t know how to articulate it or how to behave. Now I’m in the locker room with Lionel Aldridge, Herb Adderley, Willie Wood and I thought they’d hear my southern accent, injure me and send me home. Who could blame them? We were in the middle of the civil rights movement and I didn’t know how to act. The most intimidating of all was Willie Davis, who shattered every stereotype that I’d learned growing up in the south.â€