It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Just Shutup Award
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:05 am 

No one respects the fact that the Bears have been disrespected.....or something like that. I admit that the "no respect" thing is a little far fetched, but for Golic to act like the Bears have no reason to feel disrespected because they have been favored in 16 out of 18 games in the point spread is ludicrous. ESPN analysts (Salisbury included) have been looking for reasons all year to find a team better than the Bears in the NFC. The fact of the matter is that the NFC wasn't that good and the Bears were the best team the whole team. I can't stand when analysts can't admit when they were wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:09 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I was glad to hear them or anyone at ESPN finally realize (or admit) that the Bears feel disrespected because the national media has spent the entire season trying to find any other team to be the best in the NFC despite the fact that the Bears have had the best record in the conference from start to finish.

Greenberg going through the Giants, Saints, etc. and the grudging admission from Golic - "Yeah, I guess you could say that" was somewhat satisfying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:10 am 

More than 40% of the folks voting have claimed the Bears should just shut up.. in one of the most ironic polls ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:11 am 
1000 CLUB

The Bears were being discussed as the best team in the NFL through week 5. It was only after they scored ZERO offensive points against the Cardinals, then lost to the Dolphins, that there were reasonable questions about them. Bears fans need to relax, the media has had every right to question them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:13 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I agree Scholar, but after those two games the national media did ALL they could to not say the Bears were the best team in the NFC from then on out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:13 am 

When all eight of the ESPN.com experts pick the road team to win a conference championship game, when history indicates that a dome team has never won a championship outdoors, when the road team has three fewer wins than the home team, I can see why the Bears felt disrespected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:18 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Let the record show, Gould had one field goal in the Arizona game.
Ryan is right, after the Arizona game the national media looked for any NFC team to tout other than the Bear. None of it matters to me, they can shut everyone up with a win on Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:19 am 
1000 CLUB

That, they won't reason. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:21 am 

I don't deny the bears have flaws. But I remember when the bears almost (should have) lost to Arizona, the espn analysts jumped ship right away and annointed two teams to be better than the bears: the Giants and the Cowboys. Both teams were 3-2 at the time. Now why is it that other teams are allowed to have bad weeks, but not the Bears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:26 am 
1000 CLUB

That is the question OakBrookJoe I've been trying to answer all year. Only thing I could come up with is they think the nation cares about the Cowboys and all those guys are in love with any team with the first name "New York."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:34 am 

Quote:
Woodridge Ryan wrote:
That is the question OakBrookJoe I've been trying to answer all year. Only thing I could come up with is they think the nation cares about the Cowboys and all those guys are in love with any team with the first name "New York."

except with the last name "Islanders"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:34 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I think Golic gave the answer this morning, "The Bears aren't sexy." (Sorry Rex) They aren't an entertaining team for a non-Bears fan to watch. The offense is bland, grind it out with the occassional bomb. The defense isn't dominant they are just real good - but they generally don't generate a lot of sacks. The Bears play bend, but don't break. They keep teams out of the end zone but they don't punch you in the face.

The sexiest part of the team for national media is Hester but you can't count on him every single week to do something great. But, you could tell the excitement the analysts would have for the KICK RETURN because it was potentially the most exciting part of the game to them.

People generally care about offense so it's easier to sell Barber/E.Manning, then Romo/Owens, then Brees/Bush - rather than Grossman/Jones.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Quote:
ESPN analysts (Salisbury included) have been looking for reasons all year to find a team better than the Bears in the NFC. The fact of the matter is that the NFC wasn't that good and the Bears were the best team the whole team. I can't stand when analysts can't admit when they were wrong.

First off, I think Salisbury should be stripped of all analysis related titles.

Secondly, I think the fact that the Bears were so inconsistent was fair reason to not be considered the favorite for the majority of the season. As impressive as the New Orleans victory was, it seems everyone is forgetting about the previous game with a very mediocre Seattle team where they needed overtime. It would be one thing if the Bears have played at the level of the NO game all year long, but they certainly haven't.

So, what I'm trying to say is, I agree with the poll results...just shut the hell up and play the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:56 pm 

Quote:
First off, I think Salisbury should be stripped ...

Wait, he already did that himself! Just ask his phone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:18 pm 

Home5licE wrote:

First off, I think Salisbury should be stripped of all analysis related titles.

Thank goodness you specified which titles, otherwise that Grey Cup championship could have been in doubt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:30 pm 

Salisbury voted himself as MVP of analysts during this mornings show. I switched the station.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

There is no bigger fan of Salisbury than Salisbury. Surprisingly, this is not because of an ego problem - its just than no one else in existence likes him.