It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:53 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
good dolphin wrote:
Nas compared him to Adam Dunn. Feel free to defend that comparison.

Alright.

Let me work on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:59 am 

kerchungathunk wrote:
Yes indeed. How DARE any Cub fan express optimism based on actual performance numbers. :roll:
That somewhat disingenuous ridicule and painting with a broad brush has made your post an example of the insecure White Sox fan post. Irony abounds.
Now we sit around waiting for Frank to chime in and the cycle shall be complete. :roll: :roll:

My insecurity with my team this year is independent of my eternal derision of your north side warm and fuzzies.

Murton is now on manager number 3 and organization number 2 who does not think he is an every day corner outfielder...but I guess this is the time of year for optimism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:20 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Extrapolations aside, if you look at the past 3 years for each player, they both have the same number of at-bats and Murton has the much better hitting statistics - more runs, more HRs, .025 on his average, more walks, 60 fewer Ks.

Byrd out-SB's him 13 to 8 however.

I don't think it's being a "Cub fan" to think Murton is a better hitter.

Nas compared him to Adam Dunn. Feel free to defend that comparison.

That's easy....
Red hair, poorly chosen facial hair (at times), bad glove.

Done!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:25 am 
1000 CLUB

Murton would be united with The OG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:01 pm 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
good dolphin wrote:
kerchungathunk wrote:
Yes indeed. How DARE any Cub fan express optimism based on actual performance numbers. :roll:
That somewhat disingenuous ridicule and painting with a broad brush has made your post an example of the insecure White Sox fan post. Irony abounds.
Now we sit around waiting for Frank to chime in and the cycle shall be complete. :roll: :roll:

My insecurity with my team this year is independent of my eternal derision of your north side warm and fuzzies.

Murton is now on manager number 3 and organization number 2 who does not think he is an every day corner outfielder...but I guess this is the time of year for optimism.

At least you're honest about it. I'll give you that.
Insofar as Murton goes, he's an outfield butcher. A poor man's Adam Dunn may well be an apt comparison. That's not exactly a glowing endorsement as Dunn's deficiencies in the outfield and BA+Ks are quite large.
The warm and fuzzies you seem so ill at ease with amuse me to no end. They have NOTHING to do with your good guys in black, and yet seem to make otherwise sane people say the most remarkable things.
Southsiders win or lose, their fans gnash their teeth in nihilistic angst, ridicule other fans for having the temerity to be optimistic, it matters not to me. It's a fascinating sociological study, but it doesn't define my rooting interests for the Cubs as it seems to define you and Mac amongst others in your rooting for the southside ballclub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:07 pm 

As I wrote earlier, my love of the Sox is entirely independent of my enjoyment in mocking those cute baby bears. Yin and Yang.

I can love Chris Rock and hate Pauley Shore without any internal conflict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:29 pm 

Nas wrote:
enigma wrote:
He was given 105 AB in April/May last year (very comparable to the 112 AB in Sep/Oct) and hit 1 HR and drove in 8 RBI.

It seemed like he was given consistent AB in 2006 (a little over 400) and hit 13 HR and 62 RBI. Over 600 AB that comes out to 17 HR and 81 RBI.

What his numbers indicate to me is that he is prone to an occassional hot streak, like in Aug or Sep, but overall he will not produce a lot of runs.

For a corner OF without much speed or defense his offensive numbers need to be better.

I certainly could be wrong and Murton may develop more power with the Cubs or someone else. But on a good team I see him as a fourth outfielder.

What? In April he was a bench player. He got a chance to start in May and hit .295 and for some reason Lou put him back on the bench in June and July (he went down to AAA for a few weeks too). In August and September he got a chance to start again and hit over .320. I'm not really looking at his home run totals because I don't see him every hitting over 20 home runs. What I do see is a guy when given the chance to start really knows how to hit the ball to all fields.

Your hot streak comment is wrong when you consider what he did as a full time starter in 2006. He hit close to .300 every month except June when he hit .212 and he made up for that by hitting .360 in July.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/759 ... pe=Batting

Murton had two fewer AB in April compared to September in the same amount of games and only 5 fewer at bats in August compared to May. It seems like a very fair comparison. And how many of the at bats in September came against minor league call ups?

Murton is a spray hitter without power, speed or defense. I am not wrong on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:10 pm 

Murton does have a nice career batting average and can contribute to the Cubs. But I don't think he is a quality starting OF. And I still question over a full season, when he has too face the best pitchers and handle the grind of a 162 game season, whether he be able to keep his average near .300.

He also doesn't take many walks, unlike Adam Dunn who averages 100 BB per year. Looking at his numbers, over a 600 Ab season Murton would walk 60-65 times.

I am tired of talking about Matt Murton and it's not even February :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:28 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
As I wrote earlier, my love of the Sox is entirely independent of my enjoyment in mocking those cute baby bears. Yin and Yang.

I can love Chris Rock and hate Pauley Shore without any internal conflict.

I don't have that problem. I can love both of them the same. I feel sorry for you guys that have to hate one of the teams.

I don't have to, I choose to.

It really isn't hate. It's just that they and their followers provide an endless supply of humor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:43 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Murton is better than Dunn at everything except hitting the ball out of the park. That has nothing to do with being a Cub fan that is a fact.

OBP, SLG, which leads to OPS, RBI.... I (well not me, but more proficient propellerheads) could pull up additional stats. It's a preposterous argument to say he is the equal of Dunn (and don't minimize the importance of the home run).

He has not hit .300 in any year that he has gotten significant ABs. Even if he did, his deficiencies in just about every other phase of the game would necessitate him hitting about .330 for him to be an every day corner outfielder.

We all have our irrational hard ons for players that we do not want to give up. Hell, I still think Lyle Mouton is the answer in left field for the Sox. At some point, you just have to admit that in regards to that particular player "your methods have become unsound" and just keep the thoughts locked in our head.