It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Name Wrigley Field!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:24 am 

Here's your chance to name Wrigley Field...and see your name on the marquee. Click on the link below:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-wrigley,0,2136131.flash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Wrigley Field is just alright with me.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:34 am 

Me too, but I thought it might be fun to have "Wrigley Field presented by MagLite" for a while...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:45 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:23 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I don't think they are going to rename it so quick for a number of reasons.

1. They need some company to step up and be the bad guy. Not so sure any company is looking to spend $100-$200 million to get a bunch of bad press.

2. They will wait until THE NEW PLAN is in place. IF they expand , as they should, and create another 6 story structure, as approved 2 years ago, they could find a name sponsor for the entire block and that sponsors could do a PR spin that they saved the name Wrigley Filed. So it really could be Wrigley Field at McDonalds Plaza. Get a McCub!

3. While Mr. Country Club Crane Kenny had his attorneys invoke the 1st amendment right to change the name of Wrigley Field. They have an ordinance that runs until 2015 that prevents them for adding any additional signage on the exterior of the park. This is why you don't see any other signs on the rooftops other than Bud and Miller lite, they have the exemption. Additionally, the Neighborhood officially voted last week not to deal with Sam Zell, but to deal with only the new owner, as Mr. Zell does not legally own the team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Those Walter E. Smithe commercials where they buy the naming rights to Wrigley Field aren't as funny now that the premise of the commercial has become uncomfortably close to reality. At least we'll always have the miraculous collision of Smithe and Flea Market Montgomery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
bigfan wrote:

This is why you don't see any other signs on the rooftops other than Bud and
Miller lite, they have the exemption.

Well, there's your answer: Bud and/or Miller Lite. Use the Harry impersonator.

It'll all work out :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
bigfan wrote:
1. They need some company to step up and be the bad guy. Not so sure any company is looking to spend $100-$200 million to get a bunch of bad press.

as much as people hated renaming Comiskey Park, i don't think anyone blamed U.S Cellular and gave them a bunch of bad press about it. just business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
I don't care what the stadium is called, as long as they fix the place up and someone other than the government buys it.

I'm kind of hoping the Wrigley company does buy the naming rights, only to mess with everyone's head and name it "Juicy Fruit Field". It would be fitting in that neighborhood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:28 pm 

bigfan wrote:
I don't think they are going to rename it so quick for a number of reasons.

2. They will wait until THE NEW PLAN is in place. IF they expand , as they should, and create another 6 story structure, as approved 2 years ago, they could find a name sponsor for the entire block and that sponsors could do a PR spin that they saved the name Wrigley Filed. So it really could be Wrigley Field at McDonalds Plaza. Get a McCub!

3. While Mr. Country Club Crane Kenny had his attorneys invoke the 1st amendment right to change the name of Wrigley Field. They have an ordinance that runs until 2015 that prevents them for adding any additional signage on the exterior of the park. This is why you don't see any other signs on the rooftops other than Bud and Miller lite, they have the exemption. Additionally, the Neighborhood officially voted last week not to deal with Sam Zell, but to deal with only the new owner, as Mr. Zell does not legally own the team.

4. Wrigley Field is one of the few parks that produce merchandise revenew. Look around lakeview and you will see shops with T-shirts that do not highlight the Cubs or a player, but Wrigley Field. The only other place I see that is able to do that is Fenway. It is like having an extra star on the team.

The obvious answer to the name change is The Fukudome, sponsored by the many layers of municipal, state and federal government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:55 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
The obvious answer to the name change is The Fukudome, sponsored by the many layers of municipal, state and federal government.

Since it's a government sponsorship, wouldn't THE FUKNDOME be more appropriate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
bigfan wrote:
This is why you don't see any other signs on the rooftops other than Bud and Miller lite, they have the exemption.

What about the former "Torco" sign (beyond the right field wall) that has now changed hands a few times over the years?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Killer V wrote:
bigfan wrote:
This is why you don't see any other signs on the rooftops other than Bud and Miller lite, they have the exemption.

What about the former "Torco" sign (beyond the right field wall) that has now changed hands a few times over the years?

That's the Miller sign he's refering to. For a while a few years back it was a Southwest Airlines sign, but for a few seasons it's been Miller.