It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reed Johnson
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:47 am 

The Blue Jays have waived the 31 year old outfielder and the Cubs are rumored to be pursuring him. Here's the basic stats for him: 280 AVG, 750 OPS, 8-10 HRs, 5 steals. He's known more for his defense.

Defense aside, what would this guy give the Cubs over say Matt Murton? I'm not a huge Matt Murton fan, but it always seems he does his job offensively when he gets an opportunity but he never gets that opportunity on a regular basis.

Post subject: Re: Reed Johnson
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
The Blue Jays have waived the 31 year old outfielder and the Cubs are rumored to be pursuring him. Here's the basic stats for him: 280 AVG, 750 OPS, 8-10 HRs, 5 steals. He's known more for his defense.

Defense aside, what would this guy give the Cubs over say Matt Murton? I'm not a huge Matt Murton fan, but it always seems he does his job offensively when he gets an opportunity but he never gets that opportunity on a regular basis.

i think that is what they want - a right handed hitter who can play some defense in center. they really dont have a backup to pie, fuld isnt going to make the team. i guess this johnson guy can play a little center. not a bad move if you plan on letting pie play everyday, this guy can spell him now and again. they dont have anyone else to play center. it sounds like they want him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:32 am 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
If the Jays waived him, all the Cubs have to do is sign him, correct? I don't believe it's revokeable waivers, or any sort of compensation due the Jays that's at issue here.
I'm not a waiver expert by any stretch, so if I have it wrong, someone please enlighten me.

The higher level of defense would be damned nice. Murton is a decent enough hitter, but he makes too many routine plays into blood pressure checks. Besides, a .280 average would be pretty damn good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:45 am 

dont know for sure, but i think johnson is damaged goods, is coming off of some sort of an injury. i dont know the details.

i am not sure about the ins and outs of the waiver thing as well. all of the uproar about uribe getting waived confused me last week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:48 am 

this from bruce miles from the daily herald:

"The Cubs have interest in outfielder Reed Johnson, who was given his unconditional release by the Toronto Blue Jays. They seem to like Johnson better than Jeff DaVanon, who was let go by the Padres.

Back surgery limited Johnson to a .236 average and 2 homers last year. In 2006, he had a .390 on-base percentage.

If the Cubs were to sign Johnson, he'd be a right-handed backup to Felix Pie. General manager Jim Hendry has said he will add at least one player before camp breaks."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:52 am 

Johnson had back issues last year and had a surgery on his back early last season. The reason the Jays are dumping him is they signed Shannon Stewart last month and he'll be the 4th outfielder. Since they outright released him, the Jays will pay 550K of the 3.3M he was to make this year and the new team would have to negotiate a new deal with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:06 am 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
Thanks for the clarification. The back surgery issues aren't an encouraging sign though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:38 pm 

cubs signed him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/03/c ... l#comments

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:52 pm 

So where does Matt Murton go? Is he a 5th OF and bat off the bench or is he going to be waived later today since he's out of options?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:59 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
So where does Matt Murton go? Is he a 5th OF and bat off the bench or is he going to be waived later today since he's out of options?

hard to see where he fits in. fuko, pie, soriano, johnson and murton, i guess, along with daryl ward and derosa being able to play out there in a pinch. murton will get a shot somewhere, but it seems clear it wont be with the cubs.

i just hope this kills the coco crisp talk, and pie will play every day. this is a good move for the cubs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:13 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

pie will play every day.

Are you sure? My guess is they will platoon Johnson and Pie given Pie's struggles with southpaws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:19 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

pie will play every day.

Are you sure? My guess is they will platoon Johnson and Pie given Pie's struggles with southpaws.

no, im not sure, but the guy has done his job in spring training. he has played well. he deserves a crack at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:28 pm 

Just more fodder mofo -> Johnson is a .308 hitter against LHP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Ward is probably the #5 outfielder, and Murton will probably be shipped elsewhere. Maybe there will be a trade that we haven't heard of yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:00 am 

Murton to Texas, just a prediction. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:04 am 

The teams I could see interested in Murton are the Rangers, Padres and maybe the Indians. Personally I think the Rangers are likely but they would have two similar players in Byrd and Murton. The Padres have a young LF right now that might need more seasoning in McNulty and the Indians are starting David Delucci.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:07 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
The teams I could see interested in Murton are the Rangers, Padres and maybe the Indians. Personally I think the Rangers are likely but they would have two similar players in Byrd and Murton. The Padres have a young LF right now that might need more seasoning in McNulty and the Indians are starting David Delucci.

i read that the red sox wanted murton back, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
The girls are gonna love him because he has that frat boy look with his chin beard and what nots. I was watching Comcast Sports Net last night and my Gf happen to be watching it and she was like "Oh he's the new cub? We might have to go to a game now because that white boy is cute"..
:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
spmack wrote:
The girls are gonna love him because he has that frat boy look with his chin beard and what nots. I was watching Comcast Sports Net last night and my Gf happen to be watching it and she was like "Oh he's the new cub? We might have to go to a game now because that white boy is cute"..
:cry: