It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:40 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Yep. Sox don't have the luxury of selling $50 bleachers, or scalping thier own tickets.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Glad they didn't get Johan Santana too?

Yes. If it meant giving up all our young talent and giving him a ridiculous $150 million contract. Just because there is no cap doesnt mean there is an endless supply of money to be spent on contracts. It's ok to use some discretion every once in awhile.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:41 am 
100000 CLUB

Steve, again you are showing how baseball gaytarded you are. Do you honestly believe the Twins would have traded Santana within thier own division for anything less than highway robbery?

Swisher is a gold glover compared to Soriano.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
all i am saying is that soriano hasnt been a complete bust. he has come to hit, and has hit.

personally, i dont like his style of play, but the cubs have gotten what they wanted, with the exception of the injuries slowing him down, of course. they knew he was a shitty fielder when they got him. i agree that he is overpaid, but when i watch the games, i am glad he is in the lineup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Not for $138 million. I'm glad they didn't sign Tori Hunter for as much as he got/wanted. Same with Rowand.

+1. Sox arent the Yankees. They cant just throw around $100 million contracts with no repercussions if they dont work out. They need to spend wisely. If they spent all that money on an aging Hunter, that could have possibly prevented them from signing some of their young talent or acquiring other players in the future.

Besides Quentin, who has a history with shoulder problems and Alexi Ramirez-who I do believe will be a star, what young talent? That team is full of old and under-achieving players. If you are referring to guys in the minors, they are unproven and if they were to get in the majors now, they arent arbitration eligible for years, so signing guys like Hunter or Rowand wouldn't be a factor. These young guys won't be signing any big deals for several years. By then a contract to Hunter or Rowand (the better value and fit) would be expiring. With great attendance they can afford to sign guys to big contracts. If you sign the right guys, the stands are full.Reinsdorf is just too cheap. Cubs fans are fortunate to have a team that is willing to spend for the players they want. As a result, the stands are full, they draw over 3 million, tv revenue is up, and everyone is happy.

Last edited by Elmhurst Steve on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Not for $138 million. I'm glad they didn't sign Tori Hunter for as much as he got/wanted. Same with Rowand.

+1. Sox arent the Yankees. They cant just throw around $100 million contracts with no repercussions if they dont work out. They need to spend wisely. If they spent all that money on an aging Hunter, that could have possibly prevented them from signing some of their young talent or acquiring other players in the future.

Besides Quentin, who has a history with shoulder problems and Alexi Ramirez-who I do believe will be a star, what young talent? That team is full of old and under-achieving players. If you are referring to guys in the minors, they are unproven and if they were to get in the majors now, they arent abitration eligable for years, so signing guys like Hunter or Rowand wouldn't be a factor. These young guys won't be signing any big deals for several years. By then a contract to Hunter or Rowand (the better value and fit) would be expiring. With great attendance they can afford to sign guys to big contracts. If you sign the right guys, the stands are full.Reinsdorf is just too cheap. Cubs fans are fortunate to have a team that is willing to spend for the players they want. As a result, the stands are full, they draw over 3 million, tv revenue is up, and everyone is happy.

You're an idiot. Danks, Floyd, Jenks, Quentin, Alexei all come to mind right away, and thats not including prospects like Fields who produced well at the major league level last year and Broadway who alot of people seem to be high on.

And like Rick always says, enjoy your attendance championship.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:59 am 
100000 CLUB

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Besides Quentin, who has a history with shoulder problems and Alexi Ramirez-who I do believe will be a star, what young talent?

John Danks and Gavin Floyd. Two great quality starters.

You talk about young talent, then say 'Sox should have signed Hunter (who is approaching the twilight of his career) and Rowand who is in his 30s. If your head wasn't so far up your ass, maybe you could admit that you are wrong every now and then and that you are giant hypocrite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:02 am 

FF,
Well, since it is their position players that are their glaring weakness, that's what I was talking about. Fields did okay, but is a mediocre fielder and did not hit for a high average either. He has some pop, but isn't even doing that well in the minors this year, last I heard. Broadway is an unknown at the major league level. Cub fans know from guys like Pie and Patterson, that prospects turn to suspects all too often.

Floyd is very good. Danks is average. He's a poor man's Buerle.

Last edited by Elmhurst Steve on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:03 am 
100000 CLUB

man of few opinions wrote:
all i am saying is that soriano hasnt been a complete bust. he has come to hit, and has hit.

personally, i dont like his style of play, but the cubs have gotten what they wanted, with the exception of the injuries slowing him down, of course. they knew he was a shitty fielder when they got him. i agree that he is overpaid, but when i watch the games, i am glad he is in the lineup.

I won't argue that. I'm not saying he's been a bust. Just that for what he does on the field, the Cubs could have spent $138 million a lot more wisely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:05 am 
100000 CLUB

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Fields did okay, but is a mediocre fielder and did not hit for a high average either. He has some pop

You do realize thats what we're saying about Soriano. And Fields makes millions less. Will you ever have a coherant thought here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:13 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Fields did okay, but is a mediocre fielder and did not hit for a high average either. He has some pop

You do realize thats what we're saying about Soriano. And Fields makes millions less. Will you ever have a coherant thought here?

Comparing a 6 time all star and one of only 4 people in major league history to get 40 homers and steals in a single season, to a guy who has 1 full year (was it even a full year, last year) & is now in the minors, and wasn't doing well enough there, to warrant a call-up from a team that can't hit, represents your dumbest post yet.

Plus, his contract is for 136 million NOT 138 million. If you think the 2 million is not significant, consider this-The Cubs picked up Reed Johnson for this season for less. &The Sox are paying Carlos Quentin less this season . And Coherent ends with ent, not ant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:14 am 

Actually we are supposed to be talking about Burnett 8)

However, overpaid is such a relative term. Sure Soriano is overpaid, but based on their production so are Thome, Konerko, and Swisher.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Viccinos Pizza in Downtown Glenview.
I'm underpaid - for the amount of work i do and the way the business is growing because of a direct result of my work i don't get enough green.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:25 am 

RFDC wrote:
Actually we are supposed to be talking about Burnett 8)

However, overpaid is such a relative term. Sure Soriano is overpaid, but based on their production so are Thome, Konerko, and Swisher.

Absolutely right. The biggest obstacle the Cubs may have in getting Burnett, may be Detroit. If they have the middle infielders Toronto is looking for, in exchange for Burnett, they may get him. Detroit has been playing well enough of late, that they may decide that they can still win that lousy division, if they add another starting pitcher. With Rogers real solid his last 4 outings and Verlander solid in his last 7, one more starter might do it. Plus, they have shown they don't mind spending for the right guy-or the wrong guy at times too. So that contract, probably won't scare them off. The only thing that I don't like about Burnett, is all the injuries he has had. But he looked pretty good in the one Toronto won against the Cubs in the opener of that series. If he could stay healthy, he would be an upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:51 am 

The Tigers farm system is pretty bare after the Cabrera/Renteria deals. They have a stud pitcher named Rick Porcello but he's probably not going to be dealt.

The teams the cubs will be contending with for trades are the Dodgers, Mets, Red Sox, Yankees and Rays. That's not good because their farm systems are all stacked. Other teams like the Phillies, Cards, Astro's and Rangers will try to get involved but they don't have the farm system that the aforementioned teams do.

Burnett would be worth the risk. If the playoffs started today the cubs would be playing the D'Backs. Do you want Lilly starting the 2nd game vs. Haren? We already saw that movie and it made me want to throw my glove in disgust. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:49 pm 

Obviously Sabathia is the number one trade target, but I don't think the Cubs have enough minor league talent to pry C.C. from the Indians. Burnett may be a more realistic and would certainly make the Cubs starting staff the best in the division (and provide insurance if Dempster fades). He also has the stuff that could dominate a short series.

Gil Meche? not interested.

Regarding Soriano, sure he is overpaid but he is not the first athlete and won't be the last. Plus without him, the Cubs don't win the division last year. And he was on a pace to hit about 35 HR and 95 RBI before his latest injury.

And remember back to the last days of the Dusty regime in Sep '06. There were quite a few empty seats at Wrigley and the Cubs needed to do something in the offseason to excite the fan base. Soriano was the biggest free agent prize and the Cubs went out and got him. Soriano's value to the cubs was higher than other teams because of the state of the ballclub. Signing a couple of mid level free agents for $9 million apiece doesn't necessarily mean success. Danny Jackson, Dave smith, Mel Rojas anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:48 pm 

Mel Rojas! I hate that name still!