It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MARMOL
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Look back about two weeks ago to a game in Tampa when Marmol throws 8 straight balls and then hits the next 2 batters. I was in Harry Carays tavern and told my peeps, that this is really really bad. Everyone gave me the "he will be fine". I said that this is not a few bad pitches, this is "I can't get the ball over the plate syndrome".

Since then Marmol has been terrible. This has also coincided with the Cubs losing a number of games. Since and including that game which Marmol was charged with 4 ER and was charged with the Loss, his outings have been terrible. Even when he does get out of an inning, he is not striling anyone out.

I hope he does not make the All Star team. This is a guy who can benefit from 4 days in Vegas!

Post subject: Re: MARMOL
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
an overreliance on sliders has killed Marmol's control. He needs to have pitch sequences where he throws nothing but fastballs for a while. He may get hit a little, but that's better than walking people...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
He's no Ankiel. Marmol is getting the ball over the plate. He's just getting hit. Bob echoed Fools' comments right after Ray Ray's HR.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:57 pm 

whoops...haven't been able to catch the Cubs the last two nights due to late West coast starts...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:58 pm 

Marmol is to the point, where you don't want to see him in a close game. Even his fastball has dropped to 90-92.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:15 pm 

schmitty1121 wrote:
Marmol is to the point, where you don't want to see him in a close game. Even his fastball has dropped to 90-92.

Lou brings him in with 1st and 3rd, no outs, and he falls behind 2-0 again, and then gives up a 3 run bomb. Lou, its time to pitch him in garbage time only, and quit saying its mechanics. He can't throw a strike with the slider anymore, and his fastball is 90-92, no longer in the mid 90's.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:50 pm 

he was always somewhat wild, but he was effectively wild before....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:29 pm 

I wonder if Marmol is tipping his pitches? The last three HR's he has given up have all come off fastballs from a guy that throws mostly sliders. Maybe the hitters know when the slider is coming and they lay off waiting for the fastball.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:31 pm 

enigma wrote:
I wonder if Marmol is tipping his pitches? The last three HR's he has given up have all come off fastballs from a guy that throws mostly sliders. Maybe the hitters know when the slider is coming and they lay off waiting for the fastball.

I think he has been behind on the hitters, or it has been full cound. I know tonight he was 2-0.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:20 am 

I wonder if he's hurt?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I just believe that the league has adjusted to him. The hitters are laying off the slider, unless they have 2 strikes on them, and just looking fastball . He is not getting ahead in the count as often, because the hitters are laying off sliders that often wind up out of the strike zone. He has to adjust back, and start hitters off with his fastball-and locate it better, rather than up out over the plate. Or he has to be able to throw that slider for strikes on the first pitch of an at bat. Mostly, for now,I think he needs to be put into situations that have less stress. Put him into games that are out of reach one way or the other and get a few good outings under his belt. That may help build his confidence back up, which could make a big difference too. I would try Howry in the set-up duty for now.