It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:02 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I didn't want to have my joke to make me the Sox version of Elmhurst Steve.

i thought frank already had that spot. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
You and me both. I thought it was a mistake and it has turned out to be a tremendous signing. He has had several games now, where nobody else seems to be hitting and he carries the offense that day. He doesn't need to play every day, because Reed Johnson does a great job too. That platoon keeps both players fresher and at their best. Lou has really handled the center field situation very well. I have to say, your crow was prepared much better than mine though. My compliments to the chef!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
That's a tough argument to make, Fools, after Edmonds hits 2 homers and 5 RBIs.

He's still good enough. He could break down but he isn't playing every day and I'd take my chances on keeping him healthy.

that's why I'm posting a negative review WHEN HE'S UP...anyone can get on a guy when he performs poorly...I just would rather a contact hitter and less injury prone CF/Left hand bat...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:40 am 

Mr. Reason wrote:
I am on record here somewhere saying Edmonds is a pud and has nothing left. I wanted nothing to do with him and said Hendry was a fool.

However, this crow tastes pretty good. I first braised it and then roasted it at 500' to crisp the skin up nicely. My herb, wild mushroom and cornbread stuffing complements the crow perfectly.

don't eat it just yet, reason...I think the move will backfire when it means the most...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
City of Fools wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
I am on record here somewhere saying Edmonds is a pud and has nothing left. I wanted nothing to do with him and said Hendry was a fool.

However, this crow tastes pretty good. I first braised it and then roasted it at 500' to crisp the skin up nicely. My herb, wild mushroom and cornbread stuffing complements the crow perfectly.

don't eat it just yet, reason...I think the move will backfire when it means the most...

But he's won how many games already with his bat and glove. I would think the Cubs have gotten their money back (and then some) on their investment in Edmonds.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
The Cubs can already count Edmonds as a success. If he were to get hurt tomorrow and that'd be it, we'd still say he provided exactly what the Cubs needed when they needed it while he was in there.
I'm one of the MILLIONS of people who didn't like this acquisition. Everyone thought he was finished. Toast.
Hendry seemed to know he was going to do well. He might have been the only one.
With Griffey comes the certainty that if he's not busting ligaments he's going to hit and produce a HR here, big RBI's there. He might not be the best CF but you kow what you're getting.
The risk, excluding money, was greater on Edmonds than it is on Griffy.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:56 am 

I'm not comparing Edmonds to Griffey...I'm trying to say that I'm afraid the Cubs will count on this guy and then he'll get injured...I'm not saying the investment hasn't already paid off, I just want a backup plan like...Lofton. That likely makes me an idiot, so I'll beat everyone to the punch and call myself one...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:47 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
So because Hendry picks a guy up off the scrap heap after his guy Pie couldn't cut it with the big league club, and it ends up working out he is better than the GM who not only has won a ring recently, but also traded for and/or signed guys like Quentin, Alexi, Danks, Floyd, Jenks, and Thornton for peanuts?

<Hawk> No. </Hawk>

Darko, don't bogart. Please share whatever it was you were smoking this morning with the class.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:19 pm 

I dont question Kenny on his moves, he has a good track record and also has made some bad moves, just like every other GM in MLB. I just dont like him him because he his arrogant and thin skinned. Thats how he comes off and I am pretty sure the reason that is, is because he is that way. I dont need sunshine and rainbows, but I also dont need a guy who becomes a raging asshole when questioned about something he doesnt want to talk about, Kenny needs to learn how to take the good with the bad IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Kenny has done a good to great (silvy) job getting players like Quentin, Ramirez, Danks, and Floyd . Getting quality players who don't make big coin is not easy. However, Kenny is hamstrung by Reinsdorf, who will not allow him to go spending freely as Hendry and many others can (to some degree anyway) and that makes his job much tougher. The reason Kenny was able to get Griffey, is that Griffey is really an average player at this point that the Reds had to get rid of. He was unhappy and the Reds have better options in the outfield, since they brought up Jay Bruce and decided not to trade Adam Dunn. Plus, Cincy is picking up part of Griffey's contract, just to dump him. It's not easy to contend trying to manage a team on a budget, with a minor league system that is not producing. All things considered, Kenny has done pretty well. His big challenge will come after the season, when he has to rebuild this squad. With Crede likely gone, Thome gone, Cabrerra gone and maybe Contreras too if he gets released, he's got some work to do. But he will also have some extra money to do it with.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:50 am 
100000 CLUB

If this thread is still around during the 2010 season, I'll bump it. We'll see how great Jim Hendry is then when the Cubs are still bogged down by that monstrosity of a contract given to Soriano.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:54 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
If this thread is still around during the 2010 season, I'll bump it. We'll see how great Jim Hendry is then when the Cubs are still bogged down by that monstrosity of a contract given to Soriano.

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
And two World Series rings!!!1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:10 pm 

Quote:
If this thread is still around during the 2010 season, I'll bump it. We'll see how great Jim Hendry is then when the Cubs are still bogged down by that monstrosity of a contract given to Soriano

Sox still paying Julio Cruz? Frank, every team has bad contracts, I am willing to bet that Soriano isnt a cub by 2010, someone will always be willing to take him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:40 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Kinda like the Konerko contract right?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:48 am 

Darkside why aren't you backing me in the Sox section? Goddamnit. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:03 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
If this thread is still around during the 2010 season, I'll bump it. We'll see how great Jim Hendry is then when the Cubs are still bogged down by crushing debt service, exhausted revenue streams and that monstrosity of a contract given to Soriano.

Fixed....but also remember the great Fukudome will save the day :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
Kinda like the Konerko contract right?

Not at all. 5 Years $60 million is much much easier to deal with and/or get rid of than 8 years $130+ million. Soriano may not be on the Cubs by 2010, but the Cubs will still be paying him a boatload.