It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:33 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza

Dick Van Dyke

The Cubs' problems have gone from bad to worse as Carlos Zambrano's arm has gone from "tired" to iffy.

Zambrano left Tuesday night's 9-7, 11-inning loss to Houston after five innings and 86 pitches and "told pitching coach [Larry Rothschild] he wasn't feeling good," according to manager Lou Piniella.

Wasn't feeling good, as in …

"It has to be in his arm," Piniella said. "I'll let you know [more] tomorrow."

Zambrano will visit Cubs orthopedist Stephen Gryzlo on Wednesday, but it's obvious he will be shut down for several days, which would put his effectiveness for the playoffs in doubt.

"If he can pitch, he'll pitch," Piniella said. "If not, we'll put [ Sean] Marshall in the rotation and go from there."

Zambrano hit 96 m.p.h. on the radar gun in the first inning but issued back-to-back walks as the Astros tied the game 3-3 in the fifth inning with two runs.

Zambrano's health has been questioned since he was pushed back from his Sunday start to give him an extra two days of rest. He has insisted his arm is just tired and isn't hurting, and that this has nothing to do with an earlier trip to the DL with a shoulder strain.

Piniella insisted before the game "there's nothing wrong with him," even though he was 1-1 with a 7.43 ERA in five August starts.

Well... were fucked.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
they should have let the guy work through it. They sat him down, he came out throwing fire and likely injured something. that hurts, cause now Lilly's your third best pitcher...yikes...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Lets see what the Doctors say after he gets checked out, before searching for the panic button. He looked very good early and gave up 3 runs in 5 innings. He did not leave DURING an inning. Did not signal for the trainer while on the mound, that he needed to be pulled because something was wrong. It may be a mild strain where he requires a 15 day stint on the DL as in June, after which he pitched VERY well. Lets just see what they say...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:44 pm 

WHERE IS PANIC?!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:26 pm 

I think Ben Harden and Rich Sheets were seperated at birth.

Although he says he's not injured, Rich Harden isn't slated to pitch again until next Wednesday.

It makes sense for the Cubs to give Harden an extra couple of days off now and then, but they wouldn't be giving him 11 days' rest unless there was something wrong. Manager Lou Piniella practically admitted as much. "He needed the time, obviously," Piniella said. "If he could pitch, we would have kept him in the rotation." Be afraid.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:36 pm 

one's juicing...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:38 pm 

Z struggling + Z not feeling the love =Z dont want to play.

He will be fine, he is struggling and he is doing his best asswipe act, he needs to grow up and deal with the good and the bad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:49 pm 

I think the days of Zambrano being considered a horse are now over. The idea that Zambrano could throw 130 pitches in any start and not be affected may be history.

Not saying treat him like Harden, but maybe more care is needed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:51 pm 

I disagree...but I'm from the Dr. Mike Morgan school...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I still love Clark's brother, Dr. Griswold who Z went to see.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Lou's latest press conference was one of the strangest I've heard in a while.
Lou doesn't know why Carlos didn't have the MRI?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:46 pm 

Z is a idiot, I am telling you the guy isnt hurt, he is like a little kid, just wants attention, some candy and told everything will be ok.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:26 pm 

This is bad! Very bad! RodeoVann is right! Zambrano isn't hurt, he is just a baby! Which is worse than being hurt! He is putting himself in front of the team! This means the team is falling apart in the face of this critical stretch of losses! The team cannot withstand the constant media pressure of this terrible losing streak! Harden has massive arm problems! He may not pitch again this year! Lou has lost control of the team! The blue jerseys are LOSER'S jerseys, they should never wear them again! Soriano is a cancer on this team! His constant productivity in the leadoff position is not offsetting his game-altering poor play in left field! Every position must be gold-glove caliber! There is no room on this team for a hitter who is not a top-notch fielder! Games are being won and lost on Sorianos glove! Every day! Oh my!

Listen to me good people of CSFMB - if actions arent made soon to rectify this situation, only the most dire consequences await us! Act now, Lou, don't wait! If this team was worth its weight, they would have won at least 89 games by now! What are you doing? You are letting the whole city of Chicago down!

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! WWWWAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

PANIC! PANIC!! PANIC!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:57 pm 

pizza_Place: nowhere
Lou is on the verge of an explosion judging from some of his interviews lately from the Cub's offensive woes, to Harden and now Z. With Z and Harden down for a few starts I wonder if they'll try to stretch Jeff Samardzja(sp?) and Angel Guzman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Mr. Hernandez wrote:
With Z and Harden down for a few starts I wonder if they'll try to stretch Jeff Samardzja(sp?) and Angel Guzman

That would be about as smart as stretching out Kerry Wood and putting him back in the rotation. The only positive in this bad stretch for the Cubs is the way Samardja and Marmol are throwing. And you want to fuck with that? Silly.

Zambrano is a douchebag for not taking that MRI today, and the Cubs are too for not making him.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:01 am 

I"m shocked that Dr. Dan Bernstein hasn't diagnosed Zambrano because as well all know he knows everything about everything.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think Rodeo is right. Z isn't hurt. I mean, he's sore, like all pitchers and he is slipping cuz of it. He can't fight through it.

So he was a baby the other day and asked out of the game.

He told the Cubs he was hurt so they want an MRI. But Z knows nothing is wrong other than soreness. He knows an MRI is pointless and, because of the shot he will have to take, the swelling from that will keep him out for 10 days. He knows it's not neccesary.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I was thinking that all the Chicago Cubs beat writers deserve a douchebagging for all the NUTTY speculation that they've been trumpting. I mean, there's been no diagnosis as to what the trouble is but has that stopped Dave van Dick from publishing "Zambrano's Season In Jeopardy!!" or Downey Syndrome from saying "Without Z it's not gonna happen"? De Luca at the Bright One has been reading the Tribs sports section cause his article was pretty much the same, Greg Couch is proclaiming that the Cubs are "Suddenly Vunerable" and they've even run computer simulations (Accuscore simulations) to show that without Z the Cubs are screwed.
What the fuck? This isn't journalism, its all speculation. Crazed speculation. There's no results in yet but we're talking like he needs his damn arm amputated.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:01 pm 

Darkside wrote:
I was thinking that all the Chicago Cubs beat writers deserve a douchebagging for all the NUTTY speculation that they've been trumpting. I mean, there's been no diagnosis as to what the trouble is but has that stopped Dave van Dick from publishing "Zambrano's Season In Jeopardy!!" or Downey Syndrome from saying "Without Z it's not gonna happen"? De Luca at the Bright One has been reading the Tribs sports section cause his article was pretty much the same, Greg Couch is proclaiming that the Cubs are "Suddenly Vunerable" and they've even run computer simulations (Accuscore simulations) to show that without Z the Cubs are screwed.
What the fuck? This isn't journalism, its all speculation. Crazed speculation. There's no results in yet but we're talking like he needs his damn arm amputated.

Yet when there were reports in 2004 that Prior may have some arm issues, wasn't some guy from Baseball Prospectus reporting that, the beat reporters in this town blew it off.

Woodward and Bernstein (no not Dan) these guys are not.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:48 pm 

Trib says he will only miss one start. Has some rotator cuff inflamation...or something. I'll bet every MLB pitcher has rotator cuff inflamation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
walkrman5 wrote:
Trib says he will only miss one start. Has some rotator cuff inflamation...or something. I'll bet every MLB pitcher has rotator cuff inflamation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/

But yesterday's headline was:

Chicago Tribune wrote:
Zambrano's season is in jeopardy

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
No time to panic. Hopefully, the shot gets the inflammation down and he can get back to the rotation next week. Better to have this happen now than in 4 weeks. They need to get Z and Harden ready for the post-season. The lead in the division is still 4 1/2 games and the Brewers may have problems with Ben Sheet's left groin. Everything will be fine.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Panic? No. Concern? Yes. Tendinitis could easily worsen, or not heal up in time for the playoffs. With Harden's injury history, you can't count on him until he is back out there throwing pain free in back to back starts. I also would not trust a goddam thing the Cubs training staff/doctors say about pitching injuries. The Brewers are still 4 back, but also have 6 games left with the Cub, including 3 at home to end the season. Now don't get me wrong, it would take a catastrophic collapse to lose the division, much less miss the playoffs, but if Zambrano and Harden are not 100% in October, the Cubs will be lucky to even make it to a game 4 in the NLDS.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:33 am 
1000 CLUB

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
No time to panic. the Brewers may have problems with Ben Sheet's left groin.

nope