It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cubs/Reds
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
If Milwaukee was even lukewarm this week, they might be in first place right now. Cubs are lucky they are slumping too.

Does Soto call pitches on his own or get the signs from the <Zimmer> dugout </Zimmer> ?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:56 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Does Soto call pitches on his own or get the signs from the <Zimmer> dugout </Zimmer> ?

I'm not sure. I was considering that, and whether Woody shook him off, so that may have been unfair on my part to blame him. But, damn, someone ought to have known better than to go to the high fastball that many times. After the third attempt, it should have been clear that some other pitch should have been tried.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:35 pm 

I kept waiting for Wood to break off one of those nasty sliders, but he just kept up with those fastballs. Makes no sense to me either.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:56 pm 

Fuck You Cedeno. There I feel better now :wink:

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
I'm sorry, are they still playing baseball? Oh, everybody but the Cubs are! :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Dont jump off the ledge just yet. Cedeno also knocked a run in earlier in the game. He also hit the ball pretty well earlier this year and has had a positive contribution. Unfortunately, his gaffe was late in the season. He wont be traded, nor will he be benched.

This game and series sucked, but they still gained a game on getting into the playoffs. I am still more angred at the lack of timely hitting with runners in scoring position. Did anyone say anything after the game about the crap at the end of the game? Woody should act a bit more grownup then that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I missed the game Friday, as I was driving down there. But I guess Lilly just sucked Friday. Saturday, Marquis was good as was Marshall on Sunday. But unlike Saturday, on Sunday the guys did not get hits when they needed them. After Ramirez doubled to lead off the 8th, Soto should have bunted him over to third, where he could have scored on a fly ball or ground ball. But he struck out instead. Then Wood gets ahead of the first batter in the ninth 0-2 and the guy fights off a pitch and dumps it into center. Edmonds makes dumb attempt to catch the ball when he never had a good chance on it, so the guy gets 2 bases rather than 1, then Wood walks 2 guys in the inning and the big gaff by Cedeno, on the potential inning ending double play ball. Ridiculous final inning. It was good to see that Milwaukee lost as well, but this was one they let get away that should have been a win. The guys really seemed flat all day, even though they led 3-1 going into the 9th. Day game after a night game or not, they looked very flat.

Pretty cool trip though. Turned out the players were at the Westin hotel too, which is where we stayed and we saw a few players as well as Jim Hendry while there. Not into the whole autograph thing for years now, so didn't bother with that. But there were hundreds of people at the hotel trying to get them, when the players were returning to the hotel Saturday night. Cincy has a nice ballpark and a wonderful downtown area. But just outside the downtown area, it's pretty dicey. Fountain square is beautiful though and tickets (real good ones) are easy to come by at reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:45 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
After Ramirez doubled to lead off the 8th, Soto should have bunted him over to third, where he could have scored on a fly ball or ground ball.

I would prefer Soto is not bunting.

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Edmonds makes dumb attempt to catch the ball when he never had a good chance on it, so the guy gets 2 bases rather than 1, then Wood walks 2 guys in the inning and the big gaff by Cedeno, on the potential inning ending double play ball.

Edmonds play didnt matter, though I agree he should be a bit smarter and get in front of the ball. There was no one else on base so I could only expect it was a mental error of old age.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:05 am 

The Cubs should have had a larger lead than 3-1 but lack of clutch hitting did them in.

Was Pie called up? I like what Edmonds has brought to the team but if Pie is on the roster, he should be in centerfield late in the game.

And I like Len and Bob, but boy did they say a couple things that made me cringe. With Cubs on 1st and 2nd and one out and Soriano up, Len mentioned that the chance of a DP was small because a fly ball pitcher and Soriano, a fly ball hitter. So what happens, a DP. Reminds me of a couple instances earlier in the season when Ramirez was up with a man on third and less than two outs, infield in. Len would mention on how this was as easy an RBI opportunity as you can get, then Ramirez would pop out. Just shup Len :wink:

Then in the bottom of the 9th when the first Red was batting, Bob said something that after a long layoff for Wood control might be an issue, but Wood looked sharp so far. This was only after 4 or 5 pitches. Of course Wood ends up walking two guys. C'mon Bob, lets not jump to conclusions too early.

Hopefully this is just a mini slump for the Cubs, get this out of the way now and hope the team gets hot late Sep and early October.