It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rizzo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Yeah. Let's just throw away the stats for the first 80 games. That's smart.

Are you factoring in Tyler Flowers' 2015 statistics when projecting how the 2016 Sox will hit?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
IMU wrote:
Or we could go with the second half Cubs since that roster more closely resembles 2016.

in NL:

2nd in runs / RBI
3rd in doubles
2nd in home runs
4th in total bases
2nd in OBP
4th in SLG
3rd in OPS

And yes, when comparing runs to an AL team with the DH it won't stack up.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/mlb-bes ... s-cubs-mlb

http://sportsnaut.com/2016/01/ranking-t ... eups-2016/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2609 ... ng/page/11

I'm not the only one that has the Cubs up there.

So the Cubs are a top tier minor league team. Maybe on par with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:03 pm 

I wonder who has the highest 2015 oWAR of projected lineups?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lugi's of Hong Kong
America wrote:
IMU wrote:
Or we could go with the second half Cubs since that roster more closely resembles 2016.

in NL:

2nd in runs / RBI
3rd in doubles
2nd in home runs
4th in total bases
2nd in OBP
4th in SLG
3rd in OPS

And yes, when comparing runs to an AL team with the DH it won't stack up.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/mlb-bes ... s-cubs-mlb

http://sportsnaut.com/2016/01/ranking-t ... eups-2016/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2609 ... ng/page/11

I'm not the only one that has the Cubs up there.

So the Cubs are a top tier minor league team. Maybe on par with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders.

Cheer up. It gets better.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
walkrman5 wrote:
I ran into a Sox fan this weekend who said the Sox would win over 100 games this year and at least get to the ALCS.

Thus, we can conclude, all Sox fans believe this, and all Sox fans are idiots!

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IMU wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I talked to a Cub fan Saturday night that said they were going to win a minimum of 105 games. Then he suggested they had easily the best lineup in baseball.

One of those things is correct.

:lol: Which one? I have to point out that such thoughts are based on hope rather than anything that has actually occurred. You hope pitchers won't deal with Schwarber better than they did in his first 100 big league at-bats, you hope Heyward will be better than he has been, you hope Bryant will cut down on strikeouts and improve, you hope Addison Russell is Barry Larkin.

I think they overpaid for Heyward. That said, he is a leading outfielder where WAR is concerned. It is his overall game, defense, running the bases, as well as OBP, that make him a better player than his BA and power numbers suggest he might be. In Wrigley, we will see if the numbers improve though. Bryant was an All Star, and Rookie of the year. He played less than a full season, yet wound up just 1 RBI short of 100. He will be an MVP candidate and All Star many times. Russell is a solid player, but quite frankly, I expect he will not be Barry Larkin. I don't think he will quite reach that level. I think he will improve a bit, play a solid SS and perhaps hit .270 or so, but not be at that Larkin level. But Glyber Torres is on the way and he will be very special. But in the meantime, Russell will do a steady, solid job at SS and will bring a good starting pitcher, when the Cubs are ready to install Torres at SS and deal Russell.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:42 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
So Bryant will be in the HOF, Russell will be very good, yet is just keeping the seat warm for Torres...who will be better than Him.

That capital H is not a typo. You guys need to start using them when you are referring to these Cubs Prospects, as you treat them like Gods.

For the record, I do not think Tyler Saladino will be as good as Barry Larkin either.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:48 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
For the record, I do not think Tyler Saladino will be as good as Barry Larkin either.

No shit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:59 am 

bigfan wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
pressure.

This is the key.

The PRESSURE is here, like it or not. It will make it harder to win. Teams play harder when they are underdogs, happens in every sport in every game. Makes the potential winning more enjoyable.

#W

But when you are on a team that has success and the confidence builds, it snowballs. You become more and more confident each day, that the outcome of a game will be positive, that your team deserves to win, should win, will win. You no longer see teams like the Cardinals as superior, but just as a better challenger. A team that is an underdog may compete well early in games, but at the end of a game, give away a game they could have won, because deep down, they don't really believe they should win that game. They don't believe they are the better team. But we saw the Cubs change from one to the other last season, around the time Castro was replaced at SS by Russell. They went from a .500 team to winning series after series. I think this year they will carry that confidence into 2016 and be better for it. Plus, they did improve the team from 2015. With Lackey and Warren the pitching is improved and Zobrist and Heyward make the regular lineup better as well. I think they should be confident and rather than shrink from pressure, they should be looking forward to each game as an opportunity to shine and have fun dominating the competition.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:01 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
But Glyber Torres is on the way and he will be very special.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:02 am 

Man, I love baseball talk but you guys have to chill. Fucking 200 games left with spring and post. It's a marathon, not a sprint

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:02 am 
Site Admin

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I think they overpaid for Heyward. That said, he is a leading outfielder where WAR is concerned.

As a right fielder.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:03 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
So Bryant will be in the HOF, Russell will be very good, yet is just keeping the seat warm for Torres...who will be better than Him.

That capital H is not a typo. You guys need to start using them when you are referring to these Cubs Prospects, as you treat them like Gods.

Barring serious injuries, Bryant may well be in the HOF. I did not say he would be though. I said he would be an All Star several times and an MVP candidate in multiple seasons. Last year was just the tip of the iceberg. Yes, Torres will be even better than Russell.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
bigfan wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
pressure.

This is the key.

The PRESSURE is here, like it or not. It will make it harder to win. Teams play harder when they are underdogs, happens in every sport in every game. Makes the potential winning more enjoyable.

#W

But when you are on a team that has success and the confidence builds, it snowballs. You become more and more confident each day, that the outcome of a game will be positive, that your team deserves to win, should win, will win. You no longer see teams like the Cardinals as superior, but just as a better challenger. A team that is an underdog may compete well early in games, but at the end of a game, give away a game they could have won, because deep down, they don't really believe they should win that game. They don't believe they are the better team. But we saw the Cubs change from one to the other last season, around the time Castro was replaced at SS by Russell. They went from a .500 team to winning series after series. I think this year they will carry that confidence into 2016 and be better for it. Plus, they did improve the team from 2015. With Lackey and Warren the pitching is improved and Zobrist and Heyward make the regular lineup better as well. I think they should be confident and rather than shrink from pressure, they should be looking forward to each game as an opportunity to shine and have fun dominating the competition.

Panther is a motivational speaker on acid.

Steve is a motivational speaker who huffed paint thinner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Bryant won't be better than Aramis Ramirez but many Cub fans think he's Mike Schmidt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
leashyourkids wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
bigfan wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
pressure.

This is the key.

#W

Panther is a motivational speaker on acid.

Steve is a motivational speaker who huffed paint thinner.

Elmhurst Steve is the guy who scares people on the train.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bryant won't be better than Aramis Ramirez but many Cub fans think he's Mike Schmidt.

You are such a troll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:35 am 
Site Admin

GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You are such a troll

I'm not sure about you, but do you really believe most Cub fans would do it If I told them I had a magic wand and could lock Bryant into Ramirez's career right now?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:49 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Even though Schmidt had not just a bat, but range AND a glove?

Shocking.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:51 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You are such a troll

I'm not sure about you, but do you really believe most Cub fans would do it If I told them I had a magic wand and could lock Bryant into Ramirez's career right now?

I'd lock him in. Aramis' Cubs years were special. I think we had this same conversation last year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:57 am 
Site Admin

IMU wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You are such a troll

I'd lock him in. Aramis' Cubs years were special. I think we had this same conversation last year.

But I don't think that makes you typical. Many Cub fans hated Ramirez.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:01 pm 

Many Cubs fans are dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
A-Ram had a hell of a career...was a better 3rd baseman than a lot of people give him credit. Career .283 average, just shy of 400 HRs, 2300+ hits...18 seasons. Quality MLB stuff right there.

Other than the 18 years and .283 career average...I'd say if Bryant finishes shy of 400 HRs and less than 2500 hits, his career will have fallen short of reasonable expectations. I don't see Bryant as a career 3rd baseman...although he's been better there than I thought he'd be.

Schmidt stacked up 14 awesome seasons...there's no way to project the durability and consistency of Bryant. I sure hope he can come close though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Torres will be even better than Russell.

Addison Russell had the second best defensive rating among shortstops in all of baseball last season, and he was only 21. We're talking about a perennial gold glove candidate at what is arguably the most crucial defensive position on the field outside of catcher. I'm genuinely shocked that none of your Cubs fan buddies have set you straight on this.

They'll put Torres at 2B.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:15 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

But I don't think that makes you typical. Many Cub fans hated Ramirez.

To be fair to those people, everyone's favorite color guy Bob Brenly had a years long campaign exposing Ramirez for his lack of hustle. That's a big deal to a lot of people even on guys with numbers.

And then there is the fact that fans of all teams tend to remember the end rather than the whole career. There was a lot of hate directed at Hall of Famer Frank Thomas on his way out, too.

Aramis was great. In my top 5 favorite Cubs ever.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

GoldenJet wrote:
I'd say if Bryant finishes shy of 400 HRs and less than 2500 hits, his career will have fallen short of reasonable expectations.

You call me a troll and then you say this which is an absolute confirmation of my statement. Are you aware of how many third basemen in history have posted such numbers?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:21 pm 

12 years averaging 30 homeruns per would be 360 homeruns, GJ

That would be falling short?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I'd absolutely take Bryant being Aramis. I loved Aramis.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Bryant would be a much better hitter if he didn't have that enormous upper cut. but whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
12 years averaging 30 homeruns per would be 360 homeruns, GJ

That would be falling short?

I think there are maybe two or three third basemen with 2500 hits and 400 homers and Schmidt isn't one of them. But I'm "trolling" when I call the expectations unrealistic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 56  Next