It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
its never tough to watch the dodgers losing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:56 pm 

No, it was awesome. But, watching Turner help the Dodgers lose was not fun. His defense was rough.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: sorentos
Can we trade for Alvarez from Houston?

Jk I know we can't but my gosh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:27 pm 

Sign Correa and move him to third or Hoerner to 2b or 3b.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:06 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
Correa will be opting out and while Trea Turner’s home run last night was cool, he cost his team defensively. It was tough to watch.

This guy is struggling defensively. Even before the dropped catch, he should've thrown that ball to first base. It's the same dumbass thing he did Wednesday.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Bruce Levine saying today the Cubs will be going after Jose Abreu in free agency. Haugh ecstatic about a future '23 possible nfield that would include Patrick Wisdom.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
vitoscotti wrote:
Bruce Levine saying today the Cubs will be going after Jose Abreu in free agency. Haugh ecstatic about a future '23 possible nfield that would include Patrick Wisdom.

I will do a Parkins and say there is a zero percent chance the Cubs sign Abreu.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
The likely scenario is the Cubs trolling causes the White Sox to resign Abreu when they shouldn't.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:16 pm 

As big a clown as Levine is he takes a lot of pride in breaking stories. And I wouldn't be surprised if he has very credible Cubs sources. It would be an odd signing after tank pain. But he would have the best offensive slashline on the team for 1-2 years which is crazy him going to be 36.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:01 am 

From today's Daily Herald

Cubs had unprecedented minor-league power this season, will it translate to majors?

The Cubs clubbed 154 home runs this year, their fewest in a full season since 2012.

Is a power surge on the way? Well, this was an unprecedented year in the minor-league system.

The Cubs had two minor-leaguers with at least 35 home runs, which hasn't happened in the organization during the past 60 years. Alexander Canario finished with 37 home runs and Matt Mervis hit 36. Both players saw action at three levels this summer, moving from South Bend to Tennessee to Triple A Iowa.

Both players have a chance to stick with the big-league club next year, especially Mervis since he plays first base. The Cubs have less of a pressing need for outfielders like Canario.

Now, what are the chances those guys can hit 30-plus home runs in the major leagues? Power hitting is tough to predict. Aaron Judge, for example, never hit more than 20 home runs in a minor-league season, then knocked 52 as a rookie with the Yankees.

Ex-Cub Kyle Schwarber, who leads the National League with 46 home runs, peaked at 16 minor-league dingers. Cubs infielder Patrick Wisdom hit 31 home runs twice at the Triple A level and has continued a similar pace in the majors.

"If they've got power, it's going to come out one way or the other," Wisdom said. "I think up here, though, you've just got to let them have an opportunity, in my eyes. That's what happened to me, right? I got an opportunity to show that I can hit for power."

At the same time, the jump to the majors is unpredictable in itself. When moving up a level in the minors, batters are generally facing pitchers that are one year older. At the top level, they'll see pitchers who have been successful for 10 years or more.

"The guys know how to pitch, they know how to get you out," Wisdom said. "They've been paid to get the greatest hitters out. There's a ton more video, so you're going to get exploited up here."

Looking back in Cubs history, we found seven instances when minor-leaguers hit at least 35 home runs in a season, before Mervis and Canario:

• Two of them played for the 2016 World Series champs. Kris Bryant hit 43 home runs in the minors in 2014. Javy Baez hit 37 as a 20-year-old in 2013.

• Two were older players who had been with other organizations. That includes Bryan LaHair, who hit 38 home runs in Iowa in 2011 at age 28; along with Adrian Garrett, who hit 43 homers for Triple A Tacoma in 1971.

• The other three never really clicked or reached the majors. First baseman Brian Dopirak was a second-round pick of the Cubs out of Dunedin (Fla.) High School. He clubbed 39 home runs for the Class A Lansing Lugnuts in 2004, but never played in the majors.

Joe Hicks hit 37 homers for Iowa in 1984 at age 26, but was never called up and spent the next season in Japan.

While Dave Kingman enjoyed his best year with the Cubs, Karl Pagel piled up 39 home runs and 123 RBI for Triple A Wichita in 1979. He got 3 at-bats with the Cubs before being traded to Cleveland for Cliff Johnson. Pagel never got much of a chance with his new team, either, and finished his career with just 1 major-league home run.

So there's both boom and bust in the Cubs' power development history. Mervis was at Wrigley Field this month for a minicamp, designed to help some top prospects get acclimated to their potential future home, then started the Arizona Fall League. Canario was not at the camp and according to Twitter reports, joined a team in his native Dominican Republic for Winter League.

The Cubs landed Canario last year from San Francisco in the Bryant trade. Mervis flew well under the radar because he was primarily a pitcher during his first two years at Duke. The Washington, D.C. native switched to being a position player, had most of his senior season wiped out by the pandemic, and signed with the Cubs after going undrafted in the five-round 2020 draft.

"I know I'm capable of hitting home runs, but going into the year, I wouldn't have said these will be my numbers at the end of the year," Mervis told reporters at Wrigley. "On the other hand, I know I'm a good hitter, I know what I'm capable of. I'd say last year in Myrtle Beach (9 home runs, .204 average) was the anomaly and this is the hitter that I expect to be."

Both Mervis and Canario made improvements to their weak spots during the course of the season. For Mervis, it was hitting left-handed pitching, and he ended up with 9 HR and a .268 average against lefties. For Canario, the goal was cutting down on strikeouts. He finished with a 27.5% whiff rate.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I like what the Cubs are doing on the pitching side with guys like Thompson, pushing them when there are injuries to others, but otherwise finding less stressful roles for them and protecting them a bit.

A guy like Mervis, there's nothing wrong with planning to get him 13-15 PA per week. Sit him against most teams' #1 and #2 starters and against "crafty lefties," play him against the #3-#4-#5 starters and then in all games against shitty pitching staffs like the Reds, Royals, Rockies, etc. Let Wisdom play 1B those days and let the fact they are sitting Mervis let a guy like Suzuki, Happ, Hoerner, or whichever FA hitter they sign get a day at DH. If Mervis can play better than Wisdom, then give him the occasional start against the Scherzers and Verlanders of the world.

Same with Canario, who I think will be brought up before Davis. Let him play 3x/week to start, see what you have. Canario is going to strike out at Baez/Wisdom levels at first. Let him learn and see if he can adjust.

The goal with the Cubs should be to play .500 ball through the trade deadline and then let the kids go nuts and try to steal a #6 seed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:40 pm 

Rays are supposedly in talks with several teams for some trades in the next couple of days. Cubs are believed to be one of those teams looking for some pitching help.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:03 am 

pizza_Place: John's
C
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I like what the Cubs are doing on the pitching side with guys like Thompson, pushing them when there are injuries to others, but otherwise finding less stressful roles for them and protecting them a bit.

A guy like Mervis, there's nothing wrong with planning to get him 13-15 PA per week. Sit him against most teams' #1 and #2 starters and against "crafty lefties," play him against the #3-#4-#5 starters and then in all games against shitty pitching staffs like the Reds, Royals, Rockies, etc. Let Wisdom play 1B those days and let the fact they are sitting Mervis let a guy like Suzuki, Happ, Hoerner, or whichever FA hitter they sign get a day at DH. If Mervis can play better than Wisdom, then give him the occasional start against the Scherzers and Verlanders of the world.

Same with Canario, who I think will be brought up before Davis. Let him play 3x/week to start, see what you have. Canario is going to strike out at Baez/Wisdom levels at first. Let him learn and see if he can adjust.

The goal with the Cubs should be to play .500 ball through the trade deadline and then let the kids go nuts and try to steal a #6 seed.

Canaria had a major injury/injuries like two weeks ago. He will be lucky if he plays at all in 2023

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:08 am 

Yes, I wrote that a couple of days before his injury. It may also limit him to a corner OF, which is going to be a bigger problem if Davis' can't handle CF.

They need to get Kiermaier for a year and stick him in CF and bat 8th and have Morel bat 9th.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:03 pm 

Heyward officially released

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:36 am 

Heyward's Cubs stats are amazing.

Ryne Sandberg (once), Ron Santo (3 times), Ernie Banks (3 times) equalled or topped Heyward's Cubs career WAR in ONE YEAR.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:45 am 

happy to have had him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:30 am 

Another journeyman?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:53 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Another journeyman?

He can't be a journeyman if he's only played for one organization...

He's been able to hit in the minors and Tampa plays him all over the field like they do most of their non-star prospects. He's probably an interim replacement for Ortega before free agency gets really going and an emergency middle infielder for when Madrigal inevitably gets hurt again. Plus he has a full complement of options (Tampa called him up in September but never sent him back down) so he can ride the Iowa Shuttle if needed or if the Cubs sign multiple outfielders in FA.

They got him almost for free (a young reliever from Myrtle Beach).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:45 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Another journeyman?

He's probably an interim replacement for Ortega .

You yourself are saying he'll be temporary with the Cubs right after you say he's not a journeyman.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:20 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
Another journeyman?

He's probably an interim replacement for Ortega .

You yourself are saying he'll be temporary with the Cubs right after you say he's not a journeyman.

No dumbass. He will likely be the 4th of unless Hoyer goes totally nuts in free agency.

He probably won't start on day 1 but his hitting ability is better than Morel. He was in the same spot with Tampa that Jake Cronenworth was, blocked by established position players. Cronenworth turned out to be a fucking All Star who can play all four infield positions. If Mastrobouni is a solid top of the bench piece in 2023 and shows promise to take a permanent spot, I won't be surprised at all.

I thought you'd approve of the deal given that he is Caucasian and they traded a Latino A ball pitcher.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Too much Mastrobuoni will make you go blind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:45 pm 

Chet you might be a little premature being all in on a guy with 3 MLB hits at age 27. I hope he and McKinstry end up being solid MLB players. But, we saw how McKinstry's all round game has struggled in the bigs even with his "high baseball IQ". I'll wait and see and let things play out before I put unproven players in Cooperstown.

Minor league stats.
Zach McKinstry 278 366 .434 .800
M Mastrobouni 286 367 .395 .762

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:41 am 

The organization's treatment of Willson Contreras is curious. Complete and utter failure Heyward and Yan Gomes (75 ops+) put on god-like status. WC must rock the boat and not be an ass kisser. Always rumblings knocking his "leadership". Starting catcher 3 of last 4 all-star games. Other than Gabby Hartnett only Cubs catcher to hit 100 home runs. From '16 - '22 WC & JHK having coinciding tenures with the Cubs amazingly WC made in 7 years what JHK made in one year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:18 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's

I've had this argument with a friend. Which only goes to show how dumb and bored we both are. :lol:

I don't think "journeyman" in this context has anything to do with traveling, i.e. playing on numerous teams. Rather it is a reference to the guild system. A prospect is analagous to an apprentice, a superstar to a master, and a journeyman to Brett Gardner.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:42 am 

Hats off to "journeyman" David Bote's agent. Still owed $10 mil on a $15 mil contract and cant make the 40 man roster. He and his agent bet on he'd be bad. Theo thought he pulled a fast one. Theo lost.

Bote has averaged 47 hits a year as a Cub.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
vitoscotti wrote:
Other than Gabby Hartnett only Cubs catcher to hit 100 home runs.

i'm fairly certain that jody davis hit over 100 HRs with the cubs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
vitoscotti wrote:
Hats off to "journeyman" David Bote's agent. Still owed $10 mil on a $15 mil contract and cant make the 40 man roster. He and his agent bet on he'd be bad. Theo thought he pulled a fast one. Theo lost.

No one ever thought David fucking Bote was going to be good.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:35 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
Other than Gabby Hartnett only Cubs catcher to hit 100 home runs.

i'm fairly certain that jody davis hit over 100 HRs with the cubs.

Yep 122. Got it from Kap & GW.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
badrogue17 wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

No one ever thought David fucking Bote was going to be good.

If I recall, he came up to replace an injured Bryant and had a great stretch (high barrel rate!), but yeah, he sucks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next