It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It was huge that Gallagher got out of the 4th, only giving up the single run, after loading the bases with nobody out. That looked like an opportunity for LA to get a far bigger lead. That call at first on Fukadome was brutal. Another example for proponants of instant replay. The score would be 2-1 if Cousins got that right. But as Brenley mentioned earlier, as the game moves along, and batters get a second and third at bat against Kuroda, they tend to get to him. Hope that holds true again. In any case, it's nice not to have to face Kent again tonight. That was ball 4, no doubt though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:15 pm 

The umpires in this game have been awful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
I think I've seen enough of the Kevin Hart Experience. I hope Lou feels the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:58 pm 

On the other hand Eyre looked very good in the 7th. If he can be a real contributor again this year, it will be a huge boost for the bullpen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:10 am 
1000 CLUB

Unless Eyre's good for hittin' a grand slam, it don't mean shit to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:32 am 

Quote:
That call at first base was as bad as you'll see.

Bad call, but they were going to lose last night, the dodger pitcher just had a good night. I hope dlee comes out of it, because I am getting tired of him in his 0-2 counts and striking out on a bad pitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:04 pm 

Soriano strikes out to lead off the game, missing 2 hanging belt high sliders that should have been bombs. Another Lee strikeout, swing the bat dumb fuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm 

Fucking Theriot has 2 costly drops on caught stealings today, the last one being huge. Lou should have pulled Z when it was 3-3, left him in way to long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:00 pm 

Z was let down in that inning a few times. First on the steal attempt where Theriot didn't catch Soto's throw down, that beat the runner. Then Ramirez throws a ball away-though the stop was very goo. Lastly, Fukadome drops a ball that he could have had-though again, it would have been a real nice play. But none of these plays were made, so the Dodgers in effect, got three extra outs there. Plus, Lowe pitched well himself. So, hopefully they can win the wrap-up tomorrow and have a split in LA and a winning road trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:06 pm 

Most of us felt like a 4-3 road trip would be good, and they have a chance at that tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:12 am 

Yeah, anytime you have a winning road trip, it's a good thing. It just sucks after you start getting used to the sweeps. MR REASON-it may not mean shit to YOU, that Eyre pitched well again. But if he has a really good year, it has a significant impact on the bullpen. He, like Marmol, Wood and Howry, may be a guy Lou can count on, which would be great. Gotta look big picture. I have been very pleasantly surprised by whay Eyre has shown so far this season. I hope he can keep it up. It's not going to be easy today, with Penny pitching for the Dodgers against Marquis. But hopefully, Marquis can finally come up with another good game. If not, he may not stay in the rotation much longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:41 am 
1000 CLUB

Lighten up Steve, for Christ's sake. It was a tongue in cheek comment.
No one wants the Cub to win more than I do. Who can argue that Eyre pitching well will aid in that goal?
I am willing to bet, I have been suffering at least as long, if not longer than you. Did you see a rule here that you must check your sense of humor at the door?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:50 pm 

Well, I have been to 704 Cubs games so far in my life,(started keeping track when I was 9 and went to 20 games that year) games include the Clinching playoff victory in Atlanta in 2003 and the last game in 98, where they got swept in the opening round, also away games in St Louis, Pittsburg, Cincinnatti, Milwaukee, at the Cell and Shea Stadium(as well as the playoff game in Atlanta). I have tickets this year for games in Cin., StL, and Mil., as well as Wrigley. My Grandparents had a 2 flat 2 1/2 blocks from Wrigley (3833 N. Clark-across the street from Nuts on Clark) which made it easy to get to a lot of games growing up. I would just stay there during a homestand and go to every game, during the summer when we were out of school. Perhaps you have invested as much into this team as I have, but if so, you are in a very slim minority. I won't say I have suffered, because I have loved it all. I have certainly been disappointed at times. But I love the game ( I go to several games each year at the Cell and Miller park, even if the Cubs are not playing) and don't regret anything I have invested into this. It's just going to be that much sweeter, when THE CUBS END THE WAIT IN 2008!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
You've honestly kept count? Wow..

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:22 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Well, I have been to 704 Cubs games so far in my life,(started keeping track when I was 9 and went to 20 games that year) games include the Clinching playoff victory in Atlanta in 2003 and the last game in 98, where they got swept in the opening round, also away games in St Louis, Pittsburg, Cincinnatti, Milwaukee, at the Cell and Shea Stadium(as well as the playoff game in Atlanta). I have tickets this year for games in Cin., StL, and Mil., as well as Wrigley. My Grandparents had a 2 flat 2 1/2 blocks from Wrigley (3833 N. Clark-across the street from Nuts on Clark) which made it easy to get to a lot of games growing up. I would just stay there during a homestand and go to every game, during the summer when we were out of school. Perhaps you have invested as much into this team as I have, but if so, you are in a very slim minority. I won't say I have suffered, because I have loved it all. I have certainly been disappointed at times. But I love the game ( I go to several games each year at the Cell and Miller park, even if the Cubs are not playing) and don't regret anything I have invested into this. It's just going to be that much sweeter, when THE CUBS END THE WAIT IN 2008!!

OK, we now know how many games an Elmhurst Steve has gone to, even during the year he turned a wee little lad of nine, where Granny & Grampy E. Steve lived, but how much have you REALLY invested Steve? In actual time, money, blood, sweat and/or tears? :lol:

And when do you realize that your investment advisor was a wanton failure? (Sorry, I couldn't help myself here :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:03 pm 

Yes Frank, and I have been to 24 Sox games as well(I have tickets for 2 more already this year, and neither is against the Cubs) including game 2 of the Boston Red Sox series, on the Sox way to the championship, as well as 14 Brewer games, not counting Cubs games. For years, I kept all the ticket stubs, but when I went off to college, Mom decided that they, along with all my baseball cards, should be thrown away. While the stubs had little monetary value, some of those baseball cards would probably have been worth a bit of money. Regular Reader, as far as money, blood, sweat and tears- well I don't want to really think about how much I have spent. But suffice to say that I don't regret a dime. I have never spent money I couldnt afford to spend, so thats a non-issue. I don't remember any blood spent. I donate blood to Lifesource every 3-4 months. But can't remember them having a blood drive at Wrigley field. Tears-I can remember some angry moments of frustration, but I do not remember any tears. Lastly, in terms of time, I don't miss games, either in person, on television or radio, unless I am playing golf or softball during a game and then I get home or to the bar afterwards as quickly as possible, to catch the rest of the game. There are season ticket holders, like the elderly lady who sits at the end of the third base dugout, who has been to many more games and who's monetary and time investments, are greater than mine. But I think it's fair to say, that my investments of time, money and emotion, has been substancial. Which is why I think that when this championship comes to fruition, it will be a bit sweeter, than for the more casual fan, who does not have the same connection. It's not something that is a real big deal to me. But when you make a statement about having suffered as long or longer than I have, while I do not feel that I have "suffered" because I have thoroughly enjoyed my experiences as a Cub's fan, I think it's not likely that you have created the connection to this team that I have. You can make jest of my Granny and Grampy, but they were a real part of my connection to the Cub's They were wonderful Grandparents, who were my Hero's. My Grandfather was the greatest person I have ever known, in not only the way that he treated me, but in terms of charachter, integrity and moral values. If you did not have such wonderful people involved in your childhood, thats unfortunate. I was blessed and am anything but ashamed to say so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
For years, I kept all the ticket stubs, but when I went off to college, Mom decided that they, along with all my baseball cards, should be thrown away.

:shock: I'd be pissed.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Ed Farmer wrote:
You can make jest of my Granny and Grampy, but they were a real part of my connection to the Cub's They were wonderful Grandparents, who were my Hero's. Dye could be a hero here if he hits one out. My Grandfather was the greatest person I have ever known, in not only the way that he treated me, but in terms of charachter, integrity and moral values. 2-2 pitch in the dirt, count goes full to JD. If you did not have such wonderful people involved in your childhood, thats unfortunate. I was blessed and am anything but ashamed to say so. Dye is hoping he is blessed right here with a heater, belt high.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:35 pm 

Once again Marquis gets a lead, and blows it when he comes out to pitch. To bad that line drive to start the inning didn't hit him in the face, that might be the only way to get rid of him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:05 pm 

Peter Gammons reported earlier tonight that the Cubs are looking at possible deals involving Randy Wolf, Gil Meche and A.J. Burnett. If Marquis continues to struggle, he may not be long for this rotation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:27 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
You've honestly kept count? Wow..

either that or he needs to work on his hyperbole skills...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

The Cub score two in the top of the 5th. If Marquis holds true to form, he will give up at lest two in the bottom half. He makes me itchy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
ESPN Sunday Night Baseball? I can't believe that Joe Morgan hasn't yet taken a moment between innings to make a post or two here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:03 pm 

Nice win tonight. Finish off the road trip 4-3.

Wood was throwing darts tonight hitting 98 a few times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:31 pm 

Well, one thing you have to realize is that when a broadcaster is making certain points, taking notes on a game, and giving insight, he cannot be expected to also take a break and utilize his knowledge elsewhere because his mind needs to be focused.

Now, I have mentioned on air my thoughts on Kerry Wood. But during a broadcast, if I kept those thoughts to myself, then I wouldn't be doing my job. It's similar to the days of The Machine. If you didn't lay down that sacrifice bunt when you were supposed to advance the runner on first or second, or you didn't take that ball four, you would be considered a bad teammate. I am not a bad teammate, on air or at the plate, or in the field of play.

I make my observations on the microphone, and when it's necessary, I will talk about them in another medium after the broadcast is over. What you saw out of the Cubs tonight was a good victory, but nowhere near the level of what we did during the days of The Machine.

However, everything you needed to hear from me you have already heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:04 pm 

Anytime you come back from a West Coast trip in basically the same position you started off the trip in, it is a good trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:22 pm 

And that folks is your Jason Marquis quailty start for the month of June :lol:

Nice job by Jason tonight, gotta give him credit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:13 am 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
Nas wrote:
Since he hasn't had his usual great 1st half he might turn it on in the 2nd half this year.

Oh Lordy, is that an optomistic outlook. I'd love for it to happen, but...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:23 am 

Yeah, I think NAS is being a bit optomistic and I doubt that we will see enough quality starts between now and the end of the trading deadline, to prevent the Cubs from making a move to improve that 5th starter position. I just hope that Gallagher can pitch well enough for the Cub's to keep the 4th starter's position stable. It was Great to see Marquis pitch so well last night though. It ensured a winning road trip, which means that the Cubs are now a game better, record wise, than they were when they went on the road. I had hoped for 5-2. But at least it was a winning trip.