It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CUbs vs. DBacks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:47 am 

Lee might be one of the most overrated and overloved players in Chicago history. I liked the move when they first signed him, but I just don't think he is a reliable hitter. He'll get his numbers, but it is a matter of when they come. Is it a close game, like last night and the many others when he hit into a DP, or do the homers come when it is 7-1 already, going either way.

But what can they do? He is the 1st baseman, getting big money, with an (undeserved) reputation as a good hitter. I hate seeing him coming up in big spots; just strike out next time and let Rami come up and crush one. Sure his K's are up this year, but he is an aggresive hitter who makes good contact most of the time and, I think, looking to pick up the slack.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:00 am 

HotCornerCharlie wrote:
Lee might be one of the most overrated and overloved players in Chicago history. I liked the move when they first signed him, but I just don't think he is a reliable hitter. He'll get his numbers, but it is a matter of when they come. Is it a close game, like last night and the many others when he hit into a DP, or do the homers come when it is 7-1 already, going either way.

But what can they do? He is the 1st baseman, getting big money, with an (undeserved) reputation as a good hitter. I hate seeing him coming up in big spots; just strike out next time and let Rami come up and crush one. Sure his K's are up this year, but he is an aggresive hitter who makes good contact most of the time and, I think, looking to pick up the slack.

Lee is a pretty good hitter but that 2005 season made some people think that Lee was an elite hitter along the lines of someone like Pujols. The expectations that some fans had for Lee and what Lee is in reality don't match (I too maybe overated Lee).

Lee is on a pace to hit about 25-30 Hrs and drive in about 95 RBIs which is in line for pretty much what he has done throught his career. Very good numbers to be sure, but not elite eye popping numbers.

The problem, though, he is hitting 3rd in the lineup whereas in a perfect world he probably should be hitting 5th or 6th.

Ramirez also has some issues. If ESPN.com is correct, Ramirez is batting something like .218 on the road this year. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:34 am 

enigma wrote:
HotCornerCharlie wrote:

Lee is a pretty good hitter but that 2005 season made some people think that Lee was an elite hitter along the lines of someone like Pujols. The expectations that some fans had for Lee and what Lee is in reality don't match (I too maybe overated Lee).

Lee is on a pace to hit about 25-30 Hrs and drive in about 95 RBIs which is in line for pretty much what he has done throught his career. Very good numbers to be sure, but not elite eye popping numbers.

The problem, though, he is hitting 3rd in the lineup whereas in a perfect world he probably should be hitting 5th or 6th.

Ramirez also has some issues. If ESPN.com is correct, Ramirez is batting something like .218 on the road this year. :shock:

All good points, however I think his expected total HR is a little high. Lee hasn't hit a HR since June 20th...wow...#3 hitter.

I'm just getting tired of him, maybe it is the extra-expectations around him. I never expected much, but I want those praises and expectations to stop.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:19 pm 

When it comes to Lee, he has to be the worse hitter when it comes to pitch selection. He takes so many fastballs right down the middle and then K's on a slider 5 inches outside, he isnt a #3 hitter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:02 pm 

How many homers does Lee have since April? All of a sudden his power is gone again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:58 pm 

Marquis off to a great start again, giving up the 1st inning homer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:12 pm 

Does everybody else's HD feed of this game look like crap?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
spanky wrote:
Does everybody else's HD feed of this game look like crap?

my regular wgn looks exactly like my hd wgn, black bars on each side - something is technically wrong, i think.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:11 pm 

the game sucks in either feed...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:12 pm 

DP Lee strikes again. 2-0 count and he tries and pull a low and out side slider, 6-4-3. Honestly, why is this guy batting 3rd?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:14 pm 

W_Z wrote:
the game sucks in either feed...

True - that's the bottom line.... :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:16 pm 

RodeoVann wrote:
When it comes to Lee, he has to be the worse hitter when it comes to pitch selection. He takes so many fastballs right down the middle and then K's on a slider 5 inches outside, he isnt a #3 hitter.

Couldn't say it any better. Just terrible. Mike Fontenot for #3 slot!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:19 pm 

Hee, hee - Brenly just used the phrase "One of the most simplest things you can do...." :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 pm 

The Brewers will be in first before long at this rate :?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:38 pm 

the cool breeze of last october has made its way back...

these. guys. fucking. blow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:24 pm 

Lou needs to kick Lee and Ramirez in the ass. No way in hell should they only have 2 runs in this series. The guy tonight sucks, and Randy Johnson blows, noway should they have been shut out last night. I know Marquis sucks, but you need to score some runs. With the 4 guys they got set to pitch against the Brewers next week, I would say they should split at least, but I can't say they with, the way they have been playing on the road.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:43 pm 

They can send Hart back to AAA anytime now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:21 am 

I hate DP Lee. I just wanted to make that official: I hate DP Lee.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:19 am 

THis team is fucked. I will be stunned if they win tommorrow.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:07 am 

I guess keeping them out of BP worked wonders last night for Lou.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:29 am 

Wow, things could not get worse! This team can't hit! Jason Marquis is a terrible pitcher! Derrek Lee is over-rated, and a bad hitter, too! He should be benched! Aramis Ramirez is lousy! He is a terrible hitter! The bullpen is collapsing! Lou Piniella doesn't know what he is doing! Good starts are being wasted! Fukudome looks awful! The lead is down to 1 game! The Cubs are in a hopeless tailspin! Things are bad, real bad! Good teams never go into bad stretches! Good hitters never slump! This can't be happening! The season is hinging on the outcome of every game! Shuffle the lineup! Bench people! Call people up! Send people down! This is no time for patience! Things must be done, moves must be made!

Panic! Panic! Panic!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
PANIC! wrote:
Wow, things could not get worse! This team can't hit! Jason Marquis is a terrible pitcher! Derrek Lee is over-rated, and a bad hitter, too! He should be benched! Aramis Ramirez is lousy! He is a terrible hitter! The bullpen is collapsing! Lou Piniella doesn't know what he is doing! Good starts are being wasted! Fukudome looks awful! The lead is down to 1 game! The Cubs are in a hopeless tailspin! Things are bad, real bad! Good teams never go into bad stretches! Good hitters never slump! This can't be happening! The season is hinging on the outcome of every game! Shuffle the lineup! Bench people! Call people up! Send people down! This is no time for patience! Things must be done, moves must be made!

Panic! Panic! Panic!

:lol:

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:12 pm 

I just got done burning the last of my personal belongings, as well as any connection to me as a fan of the cubs. I'm going to murder my family tonight and then move into seclusion in the alaskan forests posing as a Royals fan. God help me, no....us all.... at this, our lowest point in cubs history.

A warrior is not afraid to bloody his sword.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
let me strike the balance between these two camps...D-Lee is fine, most of the pitching outside of Hendry's two pickups last year (Lilly and Marquis) is fine, manager's fine, and other than Soriano's imminent return, the offense and defense will be better...but at the same time, I predicted the Cubs would not win the division and would be lucky to be in the wild card...I think I'll stick with that until further notice (tomorrow, perhaps)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:04 pm 

Doug Davis, a notorious Cub killer, starts tonite for the D-backs. I think Soriano might start, but hopefully Lou doesn't start his all right handed hitting lineup (which never seems to work against left handers).

Like to see Edmonds (if healthy), Fukodome and Fontenot in the lineup. As Brenly says, make the pitcher work both sides of the plate. Davis isn't exactly dominating against left handed hitters.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:49 pm 

Soriano back in the leadoff spot tonight, lets see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:58 pm 

have a feeling we're getting swept...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:50 pm 

A D-Lee power sighting in the first. Soriano strikeout in the 1st as well. I figure he won't start to hit until this weekend at the earliest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:53 pm 

Well they way we been playing lately that should just about end this game. Will be tied with the Brewers after tonight :?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:02 pm 

This is pathetic. Im going to go see Batman. I fully expect to see a DBacks sweep when I come home.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.