It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ron Santo is Bad.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:50 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
It is, but its not my joke. I heard it on Silvy and Carmen back a couple years ago. Don't recall which one of them said it.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
It is, but its not my joke. I heard it on Silvy and Carmen back a couple years ago. Don't recall which one of them said it.

Well then. That makes your cruelty all better now doesn't it? :wink:

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
RodeoVann wrote:
Quote:
PegLeg HOF

Making fun of double amputees is always funny :roll: , Ron is a horrible announcer, no doubt, but losing his legs due to complications of being diabetic and taking every chance to make fun of it, its cheap, childish and stupid. I am a little pissy about this then more because I have family that are amputee's and there is enough things to make fun of them about way before I need to make fun of a missing limb. I guess it just me.

I find it amazing Frank that yout get pissed off when people call you fat or whatever, thats something you can control, you can go on a diet, then it stops, but yet, you make fun of a guy who has a disease and no choice in losing his legs, its forever and I dont find making fun of it funny. Maybe others do, maybe I am just uptight and if thats case, sorry, I just thinks its a bullshit thing to do when you could have picked out so many other things to nail him on.

Hold on...Ron drank like a fish until he got himself in danger of losing those legs...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:18 am 

Quote:
Hold on...Ron drank like a fish until he got himself in danger of losing those legs...

Ron lost his legs for a few reasons, had nothing to do with drinking and when people say that, it shows they know nothing about being diabetic. Drinking and being diabetic is not a smart mix, but you will never hear a doctor say he lost his legs because he drank to much. Ron more then likely had his heart issue because of the drinking, I would bet on it, but again, it had nothing to do with his amputations.

You want to blast him for using losing his legs and then trying to use that to get into the HOF, go ahead, I will be first in line, but to make fun of amputees and ron is one, thats just as weak as it gets.

Both my parents and ex were type 1 diabetics, insulin dependent. The disease and what it does isnt funny, maybe some think so, but I hope no one here has to deal with it, but if they do, let me know how funny it is when they have to give their 6 year old shots twice a day or when they have to deal with foot ulcers, going blind, losing limbs, yea, its fucking boatloads of laughs.

Last edited by RodeoVann on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:23 am 

but Rodeo, would people make fun of him if he stopped being an awful broadcaster and joined Banks and Williams as a Cubs visitors?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:36 am 

Quote:

And u know this because??????? you live in house, you are his bartender? What? Let me tell you something. I am involved with JDRF, I run into Ron about 4-5 times a year at events we have, beleive or not :shock: there is booze there and never have I seen Ron take a drink. Its always a water or diet coke. Does he drink, I dont know, more then likely, but just like any other diabetic, moderation is the key. Hersay and rumors are a dangerous thing, so I dont comment on what I dont know and I dont make assumptions either, so maybe he did drink a lot before his amuptations, maybe he didnt, no one here knows, that I can tell you for sure.

Santo isnt perfect, there are a lot of things to pick on him about, but suffering through the loss of two legs, which was a circulatory issues for both an, which means it had to do with this disease and even with the perfect diet it was going to happen, is not one of them.

Once Ron lost his 1st leg, he became a 95% candiate to become a double amputee, those the odds he had and others have, while everyone might to blame a drink here and there, thats not the case, it was specific medical reason thats plays out in thousands of diabetics every year.

Last edited by RodeoVann on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:41 am 

no, I did not work for Ron or cook for him, etc. I'm also not saying he drinks now. i AM saying he drank excessively during his career, and that's from a guy who was a clubhouse attendant back in the day, Jim Sturges...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:44 am 

Quote:
i AM saying he drank excessively during his career, and that's from a guy who was a clubhouse attendant back in the day, Jim Sturges

And drinking had nothing to with his amputations. Thats my point. The drinking more then likely caused his heart issues as I posted before.

Last edited by RodeoVann on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:45 am 

plus, why am I being drawn into this? I didn't make the jokes. I just said he drank a lot when he played and I thought it was connected. I personally don't make jokes about his legs, cause there's plenty of jokes to be made about his MLB-worst color announcing. And yes he is the worst, I have XM and have heard plenty of bad radio color announcing...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:46 am 

fine. I stand corrected on the type of diabetes he had and the effect his drinking had on his amputations.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:51 am 

One could definately argue that the heart troubles were a contributing factor to his poor circulation that was definately was a contributing factor to his amputation.
What was the cause of his drinking then? Does it even matter?
Fact is, he didn't plan on being an amputee. He didn't live life with total disregard.

All this really taught us is that Frank was being a tool. We can live with that. Hell, we've been living with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:53 am 

let's get back to the original theme. Ron Santo: worst color broadcaster going. why don't they make him the seventh inning stretch singer and get him out of the booth? he's beloved, and he does a decent job of the stretch. kill two birds with one stone...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:00 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
let's get back to the original theme. Ron Santo: worst color broadcaster going. why don't they make him the seventh inning stretch singer and get him out of the booth? he's beloved, and he does a decent job of the stretch. kill two birds with one stone...

I'm a little uncomfortable with the worship of anyone in baseball. The way we still talk about Harry like he's up there in heaven guiding warning track flyballs over the wall. It's kind of scary. Creepy. I'm seeing it again with his freaky kid down in AyTeeEll.
So santo. Right, he is an AWFUL broadcaster. Terrible voice. Too emotional. Not very well prepared. All the things that make for a poor listening experience.
But we love the guy, right, so no one can get rid of him. Remember how everyone cried over Steve Stone?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:04 pm 

that's because Stone was one of the best color guys around, and he wasn't deified or acting like a baseball nostradamus as much at that point...he did do plenty of first guessing with the Cubs, but his best work was at describing what happened, and why...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:11 pm 

I didnt drag you into it, I was just trying to make a point that everyone points to Ron drinking to much being the cause of his amputations, its just not the case. COF, no issues with you, have a good day.

Quote:
What was the cause of his drinking then? Does it even matter?

Short term drinking can cause low blood sugar.

Long term, heart issues and eye disease are the most common link to being diabetic and drinking.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:12 pm 

Quote:
color guys

What are you saying COF????? hUH??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:15 pm 

Steve Stone, the best??? Is that why he didnt have a job in baseball until singlo decided to leave? Stone has been overrated in my book, took one dust up with Baker and turned it into "I am a tell it like it is guy" unless of course the white sox are losing, then he just refers to the cubs. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:17 pm 

yes, he became overrated in '04 when his critcism got more attention than his good steady broadcasts. I don't like him as a person (smarmy is a word that comes to mind) but he was good at what he did...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

Albert Hofmann wrote:
Pretty damn classless Frank.

Not as classless as being a professional ballplayer and clicking your heels after a win.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: The one I make every friday night
Darkside wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
Santo should be in the HOF.

What hall of fame? Surely you don't mean the baseball one...

The Hair Club for Men Hall of Fame?

what award or honor would he have??? The most flamable hair?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:51 pm 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Albert Hofmann wrote:
Pretty damn classless Frank.

Not as classless as being a professional ballplayer and clicking your heels after a win.

I know you're doing this to play the asshole card.

I know I shouldn't be annoyed by this sophmoric display of stupid.

I know I'm not that smart or patient.

Frank, just because you wear ASSHAT like a flag to be proud of, doesn't make it right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:04 pm 

Quote:

Or hitting teammates with shaving cream every time they win. Frank, todays game as so many more grandstanding assholes and yet, you pull that out of your ass, something that occured almost 30 years ago. Frank, say what you want, I am not here to defend Ron, but try and be fair once in awhile. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Pat does not need Ron, Ron is the comedic humor

And they don't hate each other. Always a good thing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
bigfan wrote:
Pat does not need Ron, Ron is the comedic humor

And they don't hate each other. Always a good thing

is there a such thing as noncomedic humor? :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

Yeah, Carrot Top

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Didn't Santo continue to do the heel click per the request of Durocher?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:37 pm 

I believe Santo had words with more than a few teammates: Don Young -- ripping him after missing two fly balls in a 1969 game, Rico Carty (in 1973) and Dick Allen -- when he was with the Sox.
Wasn't always a team player.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Your right. It was the way he carried himself as a player that's the reason he isn't in the Hall.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:33 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ron Santo was an exceptionally good player with the glove and with the bat. He was a highly competitive player, who sometimes let his desire to win, affect the way he treated teammates. Players who did not get the job done, were not tolerated by Ronnie very easily. He's a passionate follower of the team, who deserves to see the Cubs win the World Series, just as he deserves to go into the Hall of Fame. People who hate Ron Santo, do so chiefly, because in many aspects, Ron Santo is someone people associate very closely to the team. He bleeds Cubbie blue, as they say. He truely lives and breathes Baseball and it has probably kept him alive, being able to stay around the game and the players, who he truely cares about. He makes plenty of mistakes while broadcasting games, but the passion he broadcasts games with, makes the mistakes easy to overlook, or at least tolerate.

Oh, and Frank DOES have a lot of class-unfortunately, its all low...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:17 am 

From Bruce Markusen's Cooperstown Confidential Blog

"Like the showboating, Santo’s personality conflicts may be hurting his cause. After inexperienced center fielder Don Young committed two costly errors in a July 1969 loss to the Mets, Santo criticized his teammate through the media. According to some Cubs observers, Santo’s outburst hurt Young’s development. Santo also had two severe personality clashes with teammates, one famous, the other obscure. He sparred with Rico Carty during his brief Cubs tenure in 1973, and then clashed with **** Allen after being traded to the cross-town White Sox. Santo criticized Allen for being lazy; Allen felt that Santo was egotistical and presumptuous, leading to a stormy season on the south side in 1974."

Like Markusen, I believe Ron deserves to be in the Hall.
I can also understand why he might not be well-liked by more than a few people.
Also remember his HOF push a few years ago. He basically lobbied to be in the Hall while broadcasting the games. I remember the audio from the phone call about missing the Hall -- he sounded devastated. The Cubs hold a huge ceremony for him and then raise his number up the foul pole. Then he states the he'd rather be in the Cubs HOF. Please!
He's a walking contradiction at times, and I also believe that helps fuel the dislike.

Steve, you talk about Ron not tolerating teammates who didn't get the job done. Ron's numbers dropped off in the latter parts of 1969. He wants to players to produce at a certain level, but then he can't do it himself?