It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:23 am 

Darkside wrote:
No one will ever agree on any greatest. The greatest rbi? Sanders? Walter? Others? The greatest qb? Montana? Manning? Nameth? Greatest sb? 20? 3?
Greatest will always be highly subjective. So there is no way to say yes or no but it is fun to argue with anyone other than brick I suppose.
So, when I laughed at it because I disagreed why did people argue with me?

If it is highly subjective then me thinking that game was the best game in history is just fine right?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:26 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The greatest game shouldn't be team dependent though.

It's funny that you chose the Fisk and Jackson HRs as counterpoints to great games.

Why was Fisk's HR game better than the Joe Carter HR?

Last edited by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater on Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
There's a difference between saying it's the greatest game for you personally and saying it's the greatest game as an absolute.

I don't think there could be an "absolute" greatest game, could there? If you're saying it's the greatest game ever, that has to be a subjective opinion, especially in the absence of any criteria.

But this is the privilege kicking in. Of course it is getting more play as "the greatest game" from those who are supposedly objective simply because it featured the Cubs.

Even in this forum we have seen our own great Dave in Champaign claim to be an "agnostic outsider" all while expressing a clear bias in favor of the Cubs.

Sure, but with that logic, you would make it impossible for any fan of any team to say their team's game was "the greatest." I mean, all fans are biased. Cubs fans (including me) are probably seeing this game through rose-colored glasses, but I would posit that MANY Sox fans who dismiss it out of hand are also doing so because they hate the Cubs.

The other point I'm making is that "greatest game" is such a subjective term that it's almost not worth arguing over, anyway. I was the first to mention it in this thread because I found it interesting that Kurkjian thought so. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't have even crossed my mind, and I can assure you I don't care either way... primarily because it's such a fuzzy term to begin with.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:27 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Darkside wrote:
No one will ever agree on any greatest. The greatest rbi? Sanders? Walter? Others? The greatest qb? Montana? Manning? Nameth? Greatest sb? 20? 3?
Greatest will always be highly subjective. So there is no way to say yes or no but it is fun to argue with anyone other than brick I suppose.

If it is highly subjective then me thinking that game was the best game in history is just fine right?

Do you believe that classifying "the greatest game" is an objective endeavor?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
this "greatest game ever?" debate has me thinking of 2 things:

1) when stephen colbert (character) on the colbert report used to ask his guests of george w bush was a "great president, or the greatest president" ("...I'll put you down for great")

and 2) i really miss the colbert report. what his CBS show is is.... just.... argh. i miss the repor

Last edited by sinicalypse on Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:30 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The greatest game shouldn't be team dependent though.

It's funny that you chose the Fisk and Jackson HRs as counterpoints to great games.

Why was Fisk's HR game better than the Joe Carter HR?
It may not have been. I didn't rank them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:31 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
There's a difference between saying it's the greatest game for you personally and saying it's the greatest game as an absolute.

I don't think there could be an "absolute" greatest game, could there? If you're saying it's the greatest game ever, that has to be a subjective opinion, especially in the absence of any criteria.

But this is the privilege kicking in. Of course it is getting more play as "the greatest game" from those who are supposedly objective simply because it featured the Cubs.

Even in this forum we have seen our own great Dave in Champaign claim to be an "agnostic outsider" all while expressing a clear bias in favor of the Cubs.

Sure, but with that logic, you would make it impossible for any fan of any team to say their team's game was "the greatest." I mean, all fans are biased. Cubs fans (including me) are probably seeing this game through rose-colored glasses, but I would posit that MANY Sox fans who dismiss it out of hand are also doing so because they hate the Cubs.

The other point I'm making is that "greatest game" is such a subjective term that it's almost not worth arguing over, anyway. I was the first to mention it in this thread because I found it interesting that Kurkjian thought so. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't have even crossed my mind, and I can assure you I don't care either way... primarily because it's such a fuzzy term to begin with.

Right. To me, the greatest game I've ever seen was when Pierzynski hit the homer on a two strike count against the Dodgers in '05. It's really personal. I'm not going to argue with you that it's the "greatest game".

But calling Wednesday's game the "greatest" is a set up for argumentum ad populum as there are almost certainly many "objective" media people and fans who can be called upon in order to "support" such a conclusion.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:32 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Of course it is, but even "objectiveness" can have certain logical rules like it can't just be because the teams fans think it is the greatest game. Otherwise, every fan base has a different answer to the question.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:34 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Of course it is, but even "objectiveness" can have certain logical rules like it can't just be because the teams fans think it is the greatest game. Otherwise, every fan base has a different answer to the question.

You mean subjectiveness, right? I'm not trying to be smart. Just want to clarify.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I kinda don't really care what you think I guess. You're not a Cubs fan so I guess you'd find a game in which your team won considerably more entertaining. I think that's normal.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:46 am 

Darkside wrote:
I kinda don't really care what you think I guess. You're not a Cubs fan so I guess you'd find a game in which your team won considerably more entertaining. I think that's normal.
Exactly. Thanks for the support of my point!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
G.O.A.T.

imho

:D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
idk what's the best cubs-related thread to post this in so i guess i'll do it here:

i've heard bernstein and spiegel go out of their way to give ricketts props for "spending the money" in terms of re/building the facilities (which may or may not be why schwarber was there in the WS) and getting guys like jon lester and jason heyward and rah rah rah blah blah blah the big thing is "GIVE THE RICKETTS' CREDIT. WHEN THE CITY WOULDN'T GIVE THEM $$$ THEY PUT A LOT OF THEIR $$$ IN IT"

well, what about the whole part of "The Plan(TM)" that had them starting with the 3rd or 4th highest payroll in the bigs, immediately slash it by like ~25-50mil/yr (if not more) and then only offset that by theo+pals 4-5mil/yr salary for a few years? obviously The Plan(TM) worked swimmingly so it's hard to fault it like "waaahhh i wanted more wins in 2012-13" but at the same time they make it sound like ricketts came here and "splashed the cash" bigtime like if mark cuban came or something, when the reality is that they did some shrewd (and ultimately cromulent/quality/proper/etc) business by immediately cutting ~100-200mil worth of payroll from a major market team and "going on the cheap" for a few years to free up the $$$ to "splash the cash" --- how come nobody mentions that in favor of making the ricketts look like george steinbrenner or the dodgers or some other ownership group who actually showed up and threw out a ton of (bad?) money at everything?

why do we have to pretend that "the lean years" didn't happen, and furthermore directly set up the whole "splashing the cash" deal? wouldn't that make ricketts look even better like he just didn't have to show up and throw a metric assload of $$$ around? hell, wasn't available cash after purchase one of the bugaboos about the ricketts clan buying the cubs in the first place? or is this just TLDR SHADDAP SINI WE CHAMPS NOW?!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:39 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You guys either need to make an argument that it is the greatest game in baseball history or move on.

I laughed at someone calling it the greatest game in baseball history and now you guys want to turn it into something else entirely.

Its not laughable. Its worth discussing.

You disnising it is ironically, laughable

Who Cates tho? I don't
Well, then discuss it then.

I'm not going to argue against people that are just falling back to "Well, some guy in the national media said it". Tell me why it is the greatest game in baseball history or move on.

:lol:

OK, boss man

Again, with the all or nothing thing

Its one of the greatest games ever. Sorry that's not drastic enough for you

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:43 pm 

We're witnessing one of the best baseball games of all time right now! Enjoy it. Appreciate it. #History #WorldSeriesGame7

Justin Verlander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:08 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

OK, boss man

You use the "all of nothing" thing wrong a lot.

I laughed at it being called the greatest game ever and gave my reasons why it wasn't.

Make an argument that it was the greatest game ever or stop arguing with me that I was wrong to do so.

It's not "all or nothing". It's "say something".

The amount of people in this thread that want to change the discussion is crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

OK, boss man

I laughed at it being called the greatest game ever and gave my reasons why it wasn't.

Make an argument that it was the greatest game ever or stop arguing with me that I was wrong to do so.

The amount of people in this thread that want to change the discussion is crazy.

The Cubs hadn't won a WS for 108 years. The Indians hadn't won one for however many years. It was game 7 of the World Series. The Cubs jumped out to what looked like an insurmountable lead. The Indians clawed back and tied it in the 8th. There was a rain delay that increased anxiety for both teams. The Cubs came back out and immediately scored 2 more. The Indians came back and scored one on with a man out when the final out was recorded. There was suspense, drama, storylines, and again, it was game 7 of the World Series. You may not think it's "the greatest", but I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that it wasn't "one of the greatest."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:26 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Darkside wrote:
It was the greatest game in baseball history for me.
And that's all I care about.

Of course it is. You're a Cub fan after all!

If narcissism had a color, it would be Cubbie blue.

Midget's worst nightmare:

I have to ask... no laughs at my blue chainsaw. Inappropriate or just not funny? Please let me know and I will adjust my future posts accordingly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
The history behind the two teams makes it more dramatic. Rick isn't necessarily wrong when he states that if this was the Padres and Jays, it wouldn't feel as significant. Part of the drama was watching these two teams duke it out and knowing that one fanbase was going home in a body bag....again.

Was this game the cleanest, well played, well managed game in history? No, not even close.

Was it the most drama filled and entertaining? IMO, it has to be in the conversation. The only one that I actually watched that was close was game 7 2001.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:32 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

OK, boss man

The Cubs hadn't won a WS for 108 years. The Indians hadn't won one for however many years. It was game 7 of the World Series. The Cubs jumped out to what looked like an insurmountable lead. The Indians clawed back and tied it in the 8th. There was a rain delay that increased anxiety for both teams. The Cubs came back out and immediately scored 2 more. The Indians came back and scored one on with a man out when the final out was recorded. There was suspense, drama, storylines, and again, it was game 7 of the World Series. You may not think it's "the greatest", but I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that it wasn't "one of the greatest."

Agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

OK, boss man

Agree to disagree.

You really, in all sincerity, no trolling or BS, don't think it is one of the greatest or at least most memorable games ever?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
the discussion about greatest game would be just like MVP, everyone applies their own interpretation of what it means. some people here saying there were errors, sloppy play, wild pitch allowing 2 runs to score, etc. So is it flawless play that determines a great game ? Because certainly the drama here as well as the stakes could not have been higher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

OK, boss man

You use the "all of nothing" thing wrong a lot

Its absolutely valid here (as it always is with you)

Your incapability to accept my opinion that it's one of the best is your issue, not mine.

It could absolutely be argued that its the best ever so you doing your :lol: thing was kinda laughable.

Its like if someone said Ruth's Chris was the best steak place and you laughed. The laugh is kinda dumb because its a valid question. Doesn't mean I absolutely think RC is the best

I know you know this stuff though.

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:12 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

OK, boss man

Agree to disagree.

You really, in all sincerity, no trolling or BS, don't think it is one of the greatest or at least most memorable games ever?

As a game it was not. As a story it was.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:15 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

OK, boss man

You use the "all of nothing" thing wrong a lot

Its absolutely valid here (as it always is with you)

You're incapability to accept my opinion that it's one of the best is your issue, not mine.

It could absolutely be argued that its the best ever so you doing your :lol: thing was kinda laughable.

Its like if someone said Ruth's Chris was the best steak place and you laughed. The laugh is kinda dumb because its a valid question. Doesn't mean I absolutely think RC is the best

I know you know this stuff though.
So you are arguing that it is arguable? That is some high level stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:20 pm 

The need to even have the discussion about its significance is pure cubbie narcissism. You won a World Series. You can pout about its insignificance in a few years

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:21 pm 

High level stuff?

OK

Dismissing a rational opinion as laughable was your mistake. Everyone agrees on that.

Anyway I'm Happy that your enjoying this title so much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
good dolphin wrote:
The need to even have the discussion about its significance is pure cubbie narcissism. You won a World Series. You can pout about its insignificance in a few years

I wonder if ESPN will forget the Cubs won in 11 years?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:24 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Dr Ken is a narcissist.

Honestly after the game people saying how great it was felt weird. I wasn't a baseball fan watching a great game, I was a Cub fan watching my team juuuuuussst close it out.

I remember feeling like the 2006 Game 6 game was a classic though.

Also 2005 game 2 was undeniay great

Back and forth games in playoffs are just the best thing about sports, imo

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:29 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Bagels wrote:
the discussion about greatest game would be just like MVP, everyone applies their own interpretation of what it means. some people here saying there were errors, sloppy play, wild pitch allowing 2 runs to score, etc. So is it flawless play that determines a great game ? Because certainly the drama here as well as the stakes could not have been higher

I mean....like, dude...when, like, Kerry Wood struck out 20, man...the play wasn't flawless because, like...all those dudes on the Astros struck out. How good can the game be if all those dudes struck out?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152  Next