It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sabathia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
FavreFan wrote:
I dont know, I think it speaks to the talent level argument. 11 years in a row isnt a fluke. Seems very apparent the top talent from the AL is better then the top talent from the NL.

again, i have never denied the AL to have the advantage, but until they start playing all-star games as though they are real games, where starting pitchers go more than 2-3 innings, and the whole lineup isnt turned over during the game (none of which will ever happen), the all star game will never be a true indication of who has the best all-star team. home field advantage hinging on the outcome of an exhibition game is ludicrous.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:42 am 

and, while we are on that topic, why doesnt mlb just give the home-field advantage to the team with the best record, just like the nba? case closed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
man of few opinions wrote:
and, while we are on that topic, why doesnt mlb just give the home-field advantage to the team with the best record, just like the nba? case closed.

I agree, thats stupid. That and the fact the leagues have different rules are two of the dumbest things in all of sports, not just baseball.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:50 am 

yes, it would be much like if the NFL absorbed the CFL, created their own conference, and left the rules the same.

i am not a fan of the DH, but i think it wont be too much longer in my lifetime when you see the NL adopt it. it will be a sad day for fans of the NL, but it seems unavoidable. fat, injured or just plain out-of-shape players that cant field a position will eventually win out and get that career-extending roster spot on every MLB roster.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:51 am 

yes, it would be much like if the NFL absorbed the CFL, created their own conference, and left the rules the same.

i am not a fan of the DH, but i think it wont be too much longer in my lifetime when you see the NL adopt it. it will be a sad day for fans of the NL, but it seems unavoidable. fat, injured or just plain out-of-shape players that cant field a position will eventually win out and get that career-extending roster spot on every MLB roster.

That would suck. I really wish it would go the other way. I absolutely hate the idea of the DH.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:19 pm 

Living so close to the WI border, I tuned into 620am and they have pretty much declared the race over. I had to call and asked them if the brewers dont get in the playoffs and CC will walk, because the brewers wont pay him, they just gave up 3 top prospects, all 3 in the top 100, who gets fired?

Brewers have taken a huge gamble here on a guy who is 6-8 and his era just went under 4 in his last start. To me, the brewers would have been better served with a guy like Harden, who they could possibly resign, because they stand a very good chance of losing Sheets also to free agency. Brewers are going to regret this trade.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
No. CC won the Cy Young last year for a reason-- he's a great pitcher. Not to mention he does not have to face the DH anymore. Harden cannot go over 100 pitches because of his injury history, while CC starts 28-32 games a year. CC was the best move to be made, and if he walks the Brewers could get up to 7 compensation draft picks.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.

Only one thing to do: combine the rules. 9 players on the field, 10 batters. One of whom is the pitcher; the other the DH. Done. :drunken:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I'll say this (and I'm playing a little devil's advocate) what happend when a guaranteed ace like Zito moved to the NL...and he also was lefthanded and as good as C.C.-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:49 pm 
100000 CLUB

I think Zito was on the juice. Not so sure about CC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:26 pm 

RodeoVann wrote:
Brewers have taken a huge gamble here on a guy who is 6-8 and his era just went under 4 in his last start. To me, the brewers would have been better served with a guy like Harden,

This is pretty flawed logic. Over his last 14 starts Sabathia's ERA is 2.16. He's a great pitcher and has been pitching great this year since the first 4 starts.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:40 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I think Zito was on the juice. Not so sure about CC.

The only 'juice' CC is on is the occasional Budweiser I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:42 pm 

Quote:
This is pretty flawed logic.

So? I am in denial, dont argue with me on this. :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Where is the info about 7 compensatory picks coming from? Type A free agents only get you the 1st round pick (protected up to 15) of the team that signs the player and a sandwich pick.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:02 pm 

By my math that would equal 5. The Brewers own pick, 2 for Sheets and 2 for Sabathia. Is there another type A free-agent on the Brewers?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Nas wrote:
If Sheets and Sabathia walk the Brewers could get 7 of the top 35 picks in the draft next year.

I get that, it's just I've seen people word it like they'll get all 7 picks from losing CC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
RFDC wrote:
While of course I would rather Sabathia not be on the Brewers, I am not all up in arms about this.

Can someone tell me the last big trade at the deadline that came in and really powered a team to a division and/or WS title?

Sure it is important, but I just don't see it being as big of a deal as some others.

The Randy Johnson trade?

Bobby Jenks?

IIRC, the Astros did not make the playoffs that year. In fact, they didn't even make the play-in game.

Bobby Jenks was claimed via waivers during the 04-05 off season, then brought up from AA when Hermanson's back fell apart.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

i am still waiting for the long run of cy young awards tim hudson was supposed to win as well. i remember reading in a thread before the season someone "penciling in" santana to win 24 games this year, even though his career high is 20, because of how bad the NL is. the whole "al pitchers would domintate the NL" theory is dumb-assed.

well my theory wasn't that Sabathia would dominate the NL cos they are weak, hell who knows if he will dominate ANYONE with the shit he had goin' between the ears to start the year. I never said anything personally about Johan Santana either. My theory was, this guy will be unfamiliar to the rest of the offenses in the NL Central - which is fact. To me, that gives him a bit of an advantage, at least til peepz get familiar with him. If i'm a dummy for thinking THAT, then so be it i guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:01 pm 

what you just said isnt dumb-assed. what you just said seems like a pretty solid opinion that makes sense. that isnt what i was was commenting on.

i was commenting on the remarks you hear when an AL pitcher goes to the NL, that you can safely give them 5 extra wins, or chalk them up the cy young, or claim they will win 3 or 4 or however many more games than they have ever won in a single-season previously. it almost never happens, and it likely isnt happening with santana either. maybe sabathia will come over and dominate. time will tell.

when AL pitchers start coming to the NL and dominating and blowing away their previous career stats and racking up huge win totals and winning all of the cy young awards, i will become a believer in that theory. until then, i think it is a dumb-assed theory.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Here's some All-Star and World Series stuff to munch on.
From 1933-1958, the AL was 15-11 in All-Star Games and they were 17-9 in the World Series.
From 1963-1982, the NL was 19-1 in All-Star Games but just 11-9 in the World Series.
The AL is 10-0-1 over the last 11 years and 7-4 in the World Series.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Since 1983, the AL is 18-6-1 in the All-Star game since then and 16-8 in the World Series.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

7-3, because of course with only 82 wins during the regular season, the Cardinals weren't the best team that year :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:43 pm 

Quote:
because of course with only 82 wins during the regular season, the Cardinals weren't the best team that year

That means they were the best team in baseball in 2005 since they had 100 wins then? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

Some might use that bass ackwards logic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:02 pm 

Quote:
Some might use that bass ackwards logic.

Yea, I guess some would. :lol:

So I am understanding this, in 2006 they were not the best team in baseball, even though they won the world series and in 2005 they won a major league best 100 games, but also were not the best team in baseball because they didnt win it all?

I didnt read this whole thread, so if I missed something, just let me know. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

It wasn't this thread. It was this forum though...it might have been elmhurst steve actually (surprise surprise) who said that the Cardinals were not the best team in baseball in 2006.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:09 pm 

Nas wrote:
what you just said isnt dumb-assed. what you just said seems like a pretty solid opinion that makes sense. that isnt what i was was commenting on.

i was commenting on the remarks you hear when an AL pitcher goes to the NL, that you can safely give them 5 extra wins, or chalk them up the cy young, or claim they will win 3 or 4 or however many more games than they have ever won in a single-season previously. it almost never happens, and it likely isnt happening with santana either. maybe sabathia will come over and dominate. time will tell.

when AL pitchers start coming to the NL and dominating and blowing away their previous career stats and racking up huge win totals and winning all of the cy young awards, i will become a believer in that theory. until then, i think it is a dumb-assed theory.

Most AL pitchers numbers improve in their first year when they move to the NL.

naturally, they should, simply for DH reasons. just not as ridiculously much as what some people assume they will (plus 5 wins, walking right into cy youngs, blah blah blah).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:10 pm 

Quote:
It wasn't this thread. It was this forum though...it might have been elmhurst steve actually (surprise surprise) who said that the Cardinals were not the best team in baseball in 2006.

OIC. For the record, they play to win the world series, they won it, they were the best, it pains me to say it since I hate those cards, but regualr season doesnt mean crap once the post season starts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:19 pm 

i could see elmhurst steve saying the Cubs have had "some of the best 60 win teams of all time".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

word

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next