It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Hell, James Y Pasta Esq. died, I can understand him not having patience for a multi year tank job.

Very good point, Hank.

Jimmy was a bigger stiff than Heyward. Hope Jason can recover as well as James.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
If there is this much whining after 2 straight playoff appearances with "boy genius", you fuckers are going to be completely insufferable if they actually win a World Series. You'll be worse than fucking Cardinals fans.

That is absolutely going to happen. Brace yourself now.

Oh I don't honestly give a shit.

I just can't wait for it so I can call you fuckers out for it.

You, me, a corn field, and brass knuckles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
leashyourkids wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
If there is this much whining after 2 straight playoff appearances with "boy genius", you fuckers are going to be completely insufferable if they actually win a World Series. You'll be worse than fucking Cardinals fans.

That is absolutely going to happen. Brace yourself now.

Oh I don't honestly give a shit.

I just can't wait for it so I can call you fuckers out for it.

You, me, a corn field, and brass knuckles.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
good dolphin wrote:
IMU wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
They have the best record in baseball now, how they got there doesn't really matter anymore.

Yes, it does matter.

How they got there is why they got there.

You cannot be process oriented and approve of The(o) Plan. Hell, Theo himself does not approve of the process.

You have to break eggs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:55 am 

pizza_Place: House of Pizza
good dolphin wrote:
PcB wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Yeah and it was stupid then and still is. You only get guys like Bryant because they had the 2nd overall pick in the draft......because they had an awful record the previous season. Schwarber and Almora likewise.

That's a great narrative except for the pesky fact that Schwarber and Almora aren't even on the fucking team.

were there any good players taken after Bryant in that draft?

There were no multiple time all stars or MVP's drafted behind Bryant as far as I can tell.

chris Coughlan has made all star teams and there isn't an MVP in that draft as of today

Now you're just being purposefully dense. Kris Bryant is the best player taken in that draft by a mile. He'll be the NL MVP this year, but if you still want to hold out in that you can.

I'd like you to name me a player from that draft that has ROTY, 2x (so far) All Star and soon to be NL MVP upside. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Here's a piece from ESPN breaking down Epstein's significant moves chronologically.

How Theo Worked His Magic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:30 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
Here's a piece from ESPN breaking down Epstein's significant moves chronologically.

Looks like Theo Epstein didn't rely on free agency after all!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
IMU wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

I like how often they reference LaStella in that article. As though he is a critical piece.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:46 pm 

IMU wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

If he relied on his FA choices, he would be out of a job...like he was in Boston

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:47 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
IMU wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

I like how often they reference LaStella in that article. As though he is a critical piece.

They referenced LaStella a lot because there were a lot of moving parts that eventually led to the Cubs getting him

The critical pieces were the dudes with big fucking drawings of their faces in the article.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:51 pm 

IMU wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Still waiting for an answer on the question of how many starters are free agents, how many were trades, and how many were drafted.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:00 pm 

The best thing about Theo is in five years which included three years of actively trying to lose, the White Sox have only had a better record once while trying the whole time.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:08 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Still waiting for an answer on the question of how many starters are free agents, how many were trades, and how many were drafted.

0 drafted, 2 traded for, 3 signed. Check in again in 2018/2019.

I know you're not a baseball fan, but you need to look into the development cycle for most MLB starters. There are very few Fernandezs, Bumgarners, and Kershaws. In fact, even less now than there were a couple of weeks ago.

The Cubs and Theo have (correctly) drafted their pitchers primarily from high school, and in the middle rounds. Some combination of Underwood, Clifton, Steele, Sands, Cease, Hudson and Hatch will become starters, and a couple will probably be bullpen arms. The rest won't make it. De La Cruz as an international signing also has a good chance to become a starter in the next couple of years.

Fear not for the Cubs starting rotation and their ability to help stock it from arms being developed within the organization.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Tom Ricketts wrote:
Theo could go .500 in his sleep!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

I know you're not a baseball fan, but you need to look into the development cycle for most MLB starters. There are very few Fernandezs, Bumgarners, and Kershaws. In fact, even less now than there were a couple of weeks ago.

The Cubs and Theo have (correctly) drafted their pitchers primarily from high school, and in the middle rounds. Some combination of Underwood, Clifton, Steele, Sands, Cease, Hudson and Hatch will become starters, and a couple will probably be bullpen arms. The rest won't make it. De La Cruz as an international signing also has a good chance to become a starter in the next couple of years.

Fear not for the Cubs starting rotation and their ability to help stock it from arms being developed within the organization.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:12 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Oh, you took that as truth.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
IMU hit Brick with the Stone Cold Stunner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Hockey Gay wrote:

BAH GAWD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:01 pm 

http://sonsofsamhorn.com/baseball/hitti ... -baseball/

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=1276

It would be highly unusual if any of Theo's pitching draft picks would have made the major leagues already, and if they had they would be stars...like Kershaw and the others mentioned above.

But Theo's picks are all on the normal trajectory toward becoming major league starting pitchers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:19 pm 

IMU wrote:
http://sonsofsamhorn.com/baseball/hitting/hitting-statistical-analysis/the-aging-curve-in-major-league-baseball/

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=1276

It would be highly unusual if any of Theo's pitching draft picks would have made the major leagues already, and if they had they would be stars...like Kershaw and the others mentioned above.

But Theo's picks are all on the normal trajectory toward becoming major league starting pitchers.

sure, but there is a big step there that you took for granted and is ultimately the most important part of your entire statement

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:16 pm 

IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Thank you. How about positional starters?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:19 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:

In 2018 he can say that. Right now it's baseless speculation.

Also in 2018 the cubs will likely have a massive payroll. Not exactly a tough rebuild when you outspent almost everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:27 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Also in 2018 the cubs will likely have a massive payroll. Not exactly a tough rebuild when you outspent almost everyone.

Strange that if you won't waste 200+mm on Jake Peavy, Adam Dunn, Alex Rios, Adam Laroche, Jeff Keppinger, Melky Cabrera, David Robertson, and Zach Duke to win an average of 80 games a year, when your cheap prospects finally hit you can break the bank for the FA's that you need to take you over the top.

I'm sure those 7-8 extra wins a year from a 71 win team to an 80 win team were worth it though...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:31 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Are you really criticizing the Cubs for their payroll in two years? Come on, brother Boilermaker. Sit back and root against them. It's much easier. Your joints won't hurt as bad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:38 pm 

One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Strange that if you won't waste 200+mm on Jake Peavy, Adam Dunn, Alex Rios, Adam Laroche, Jeff Keppinger, Melky Cabrera, David Robertson, and Zach Duke to win an average of 80 games a year, when your cheap prospects finally hit you can break the bank for the FA's that you need to take you over the top.

I'm sure those 7-8 extra wins a year from a 71 win team to an 80 win team were worth it though...

What does your post have to do with anything?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:42 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Are you really criticizing the Cubs for their payroll in two years? Come on, brother Boilermaker. Sit back and root against them. It's much easier. Your joints won't hurt as bad.

It's not a criticism. Do what you need to win 100 games and be happy. Just don't pretend you didn't spend heavily to do it. There is a good portion of Cubs fans that want to act like they were the low budget Rays or A's and it just isn't true.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:44 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

I can't speculate on pitching prospects currently in the organization helping the 2018 Cubs, but Rick can speculate on what players not currently in the organization will be helping the Cubs in 2018.

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:47 pm 

IMU wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

I can't speculate on pitching prospects currently in the organization helping the 2018 Cubs, but Rick can speculate on what players not currently in the organization will be helping the Cubs in 2018.

:roll:
Predict how many teams have a payroll of more than 5 million of the Cubs in 2018 Mr Baseball. The Cubs already have some pretty big obligations and that is if they let some guys walk.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

ITT: Hypothetical Payroll arguments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:14 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

It's not a criticism. Do what you need to win 100 games and be happy. Just don't pretend you didn't spend heavily to do it. There is a good portion of Cubs fans that want to act like they were the low budget Rays or A's and it just isn't true.

:lol: Who?

You're seeing ghosts, man.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next