It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:25 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Mr. Reason wrote:
Nas wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
You ever hear when some assbag says, next to the birth of my children, this is the best thing thats ever happened to me? Fuck that shit. Thousands of fucking kids are born everyday around the world...but the Cub won the WS....greatest day of my life.

The first birth is always the best

How do you even remember the first? You have like 15 kids...you're the Steve Garvey of the CSFMB.

I hate Steve Garvey.

First experience. Video helps with the rest. The world needs my kids.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Nas wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
Nas wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
You ever hear when some assbag says, next to the birth of my children, this is the best thing thats ever happened to me? Fuck that shit. Thousands of fucking kids are born everyday around the world...but the Cub won the WS....greatest day of my life.

The first birth is always the best

How do you even remember the first? You have like 15 kids...you're the Steve Garvey of the CSFMB.

I hate Steve Garvey.

First experience. Video helps with the rest. The world needs my kids.

Jerry Lewis vibe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:53 pm 

So Mr. Reason, good to see you back around here, take us through game 7 as you experienced it....

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
RFDC wrote:
So Mr. Reason, good to see you back around here, take us through game 7 as you experienced it....

When Maddon cane out to get Hendricks, I rattled off a stream of explitives that would make a sailor blush. The Cub won in spite of his stupid ass.

The best thing to happen to them was the rain delay. They were able to collect themselves and decide to win despite the dumbass decisions of their stupid fucking manager.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:05 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
RFDC wrote:

When Maddon cane out to get Hendricks, I rattled off a stream of explitives that would make a sailor blush. The Cub won in spite of his stupid ass.

The best thing to happen to them was the rain delay. They were able to collect themselves and decide to win despite the dumbass decisions of their stupid fucking manager.

And your reaction to the Davis homerun in the 8th

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
RFDC wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
RFDC wrote:

And your reaction to the Davis homerun in the 8th

I think my reaction is pretty much summed up in my above comments...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:27 am 
1000 CLUB

Congrats, Mr. Reason.

I like that they won it for old ass crackers like you.

I hate that they won it for D-bag Cubs fans my age and younger.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:36 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:15 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I think that might be shopped.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
#Blessed

https://twitter.com/ArchbishopBlase/status/798505110636822528
News of the @Cubs win reached all the way to the #Vatican! @Pontifex can now celebrate with us and he asks for our prayers! #FlytheW

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
That baseball the Pope has is sitting on my computer desk.

Pope loves the new Cubs swag!

Let's pray,too!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:09 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's a sin to steal from the Pope, Jim ... you'd better enlist the help of dolphin - legally and theologically.

... "let's pray too" ... now I don't care who you are, that's funny ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
jimmypasta wrote:

Pope loves the new Cubs swag!

Let's pray,too!

Nicely done.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I think that might be shopped.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Don Tiny wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's a sin to steal from the Pope, Jim ... you'd better enlist the help of dolphin - legally and theologically.

... "let's pray too" ... now I don't care who you are, that's funny ...

Just send in Seacrest...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:09 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Idiotic rantings from a salty asswipe hack ... :lol: ... no grown man with the slightest bit of self respect would write this privately, let alone for publication ... here's your example of a real Beta, beni.

http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/index.ssf/2016/11/cleveland_indians_were_real_un.html

Cleveland Indians were real underdogs, so enough with Chicago Cubs

Enough with Team Typo.

Enough with Sports Illustrated's week-late cover story on the World Series and with their esteemed baseball writer Tom Verducci's follow-up in the current issue.

What's next: "The Chicago Cubs: The Prairie Years"?

Special "Animal Planet" episodes?

Enough, I say, with the cute, cuddly, cuddlesome Cubbies.

And with their precious fans.

And with their belief that only they owned destiny.

I make 108 the over/under on Cubbie warm and retrospectives. Before spring training starts.

The "The's"

I'm not sure about that "classic" stuff. In Cleveland for the last 52 years -- taking away June 19, 2016, and Cavaliers 93, Golden State 89, which, for a 3 games to 1 series score, was sort of a reverse Indians -- it means the definite article "The" is part of what makes it "classic," as in "Drive," "Fumble," "Shot." It's just a loss that stings more.

The Indians' entry on the list before the 3-1 thing, Jose Mesa's blown save in Game 7 in the 1997 World Series, had no shorthand name, however.

But I remember a gentleman affiliated with the Indians, whose name I will not disclose, sitting at the Miami airport the next day, both hands clasped around his throat, croaking, "Hey, look! I'm Mesa!"

Before, throughout, and after this World Series, you heard more than enough about the number 108 -- years since a Cubs World Series championship, stitches on the baseball, meters to the outfield corners in Wrigley Field, words in the Gettyburg Address.

Just kidding. The Gettysburg Address is 272 words long. Or as we seamheads say, 2.518 of the old pills and seeds.

The number 108 also had some involvement either with yoga or the kama sutra. The latter is true if you believe the stories in "Ball Four."

Team Typo

The first time the Cubs were called that was in the March 27, 1902 edition of the Chicago Daily News. Headlined "Selee Places His Men: Manager of the Cubs Is in Doubt Only on Two Positions," the "lede" (in journalese) of the story reads: "Frank Selee will devote his strongest efforts on the team work of the new Cubs this year."

The story is not bylined. Maybe the rewrite man decided to capitalize the C," or even the typesetter. The word "cubs" (lower case) was a familiar term even then for untried young players, much as it was for young reporters back in the days of typewriters, paste pots and copy editors.

Chief Wahoo

It is clear that an immature animal is going to be more endearing than Chief Wahoo, whose name might not be as offensive as the Washington Redskins, but who hangs out in the same neighborhood, political correctness-wise.

Then again, the recent presidential election results belted political correctness "off the reservation" (Bob Uecker, as play-by-play man Harry Doyle, describing an opponent's home run in the 1989 Indians fantasy "Major League"), so maybe there is hope for Wahoo yet.

Cap Anson and Bill Veeck

There is racism in mascots and then there is real, segregationist racism.

Adrian Constantine "Cap" Anson, for "Captain," a notorious racist and proto-Cub, has been widely viewed as influential in establishing baseball's color barrier. When Anson finally quit managing or playing for the Chicago team just before 19th Century rounded third and headed for the 20th, such was the esteem in which he was held that the young, pre-Cub players, without their "Pop," were called "Orphans" in the Chicago papers.

Against this backdrop, let me claim for us Bill Veeck, who owned the 1948 Indians, Cleveland's last World Series champions, and who integrated the American League with Larry Doby and made baseball legend fact when he signed Satchel Paige.

All Veeck did with the Cubs was plant the ivy on the Wrigley Field walls, which led to ground rule doubles for balls that vanished into the thickets of the stuff.

Kid stuff

The whole youth angle, whether of baby bears or children, is an important part of the Cubs' appeal.

"The friendly confines," is what "Mr. Cub," Ernie Banks, called their antiquated, dwarf ballpark, Wrigley Field.

Everybody loved Banks except manager Leo Durocher, who presided over the Apocollapse of 1969 as the New York Mets streaked past the Cubs in September on their way to winning the World Series. Durocher once said, "Ernie Banks -- never forgot a writer's name, never remembered a sign."

Wrigley Field made for better child care than anything in Dickens or "Annie." Cubs games were played in God's own light until Thomas Edison's invention made a rather overdue appearance at Wrigley Field in 1988.

The ballpark was in a better neighborhood than Comiskey Park on the South Side, the "baddest part of town," where Bad, Bad Leroy Brown lived in the song, and so the North Side became a place for cheap baby-sitting for decades.

The games were over before twilight, and if the daytime heat sapped the players' vim, it had no more effect than the night life on Rush Street during the Cubs' many free evenings.

Thus, the Cubs hooked' em as kids, and the whole sunshine, blue sky attitude meant Cubs fans for decades cared less about winning and losing than catching some rays in the bleachers.

The numbers

I realize the Indians have only gone 68 years without a World Series, which still is not exactly a snap of the fingers, even when compared to the Cubs. But who wants to wait until 2056 to equal the Cubs?

And about this long-suffering stuff: The Cubs have now won three World Series (1907, 1908, 2016) to the Indians' two (1920, 1948). The Cubs have won eight pennants (1907, 1908, 1910, 1918, 1929, 1932, 1945, 2016), to the Indians' six (1920, 1948, 1954, 1995, 1997, 2016.)

The real long shots

Television viewers nationwide were nauseated by the Joe Buck/Kyle Schwarber bromance.

The latter did courageously return from injury in time to be a big World Series contributor, but it was the Indians who lost two pitchers, Carlos Carrasco and Danny Salazar, from their rotation for the playoffs and their best position player, Michael Brantley, for almost the entire season.

The Cubs also had the sixth-highest payroll and the fifth-best attendance. The Indians, of 30 teams, were 23rd and 28th.

The Cubs won 103 games, the Indians 94.

Who was the real underdog?

Go away!

For the most part, Indians fans graciously said that, had anyone but the Tribe been in the World Series, they would have rooted for the Cubs. Their reward is drowning in the sea of treacle about the Cubs' uplifting victory in This Time of National Strife.

There is a point, albeit small, to that.

But it's as if the pain here is inconsequential. It's as if the only broadcaster who died disappointed about the Fall Classic was Harry Caray. Herb Score did too, and Herbie had a waaay better fastball.

Still, the song "Go Cubs Go" asks: "Hey, Chicago. What do you say?"

Oh, put a sock in it.

Just go. And the sooner, the better.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Francisco Lindor is their best position player now, and will be for a long time going forward.

If you write for the Plain Dealer, you should at least know some basic facts about the Indians.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
From DNAInfo...

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017031 ... 88-million?

Final City Bill For Cubs World Series Run: $18.8 Million

WRIGLEYVILLE —As the Chicago Cubs prepare to defend their 2016 World Series title, city officials have totaled up the costs for their once-in-a-lifetime run to postseason glory: $18.8 million.

The final tab was released by City Hall Friday in response to a DNAinfo request under the Freedom of Information Act.

The largest expense was to pay police officers overtime as they were scheduled to work more shifts and additional perform additional duties along with their usual assignments, said Molly Poppe, a spokeswoman for the mayor's Office of Budget and Management.

Police protection for the three World Series games that took place at Wrigley Field amounted for nearly half of the total: $14.7 million.

The city spent another $840,000 on overtime for employees of the Office of Emergency Management including crossing guards and dispatchers, city officials said.

The tab for cleaning up after the games and celebration was another $742,000, city officials said.

For the parade itself — that drew 5 million people to celebrate the first Cubs championship in 108 years — the city paid approximately $2.5 million in overtime.

Cubs spokesman Julian Green did not respond to a message Friday evening from DNAinfo, but the team is not obligated to reimburse the city for any of the overtime expenses incurred to protect Cubs fans.

The city saw a record number of tourists in 2016 — 54.1 million visitors came to the city in 2016, up 2.9 percent from the previous year, also a record. Officials said the Cubs championship contributed to the overall tourism spending in Chicago of $15 billion.

The Cubs open the 2017 season April 3 in St. Louis.

The Cubs and Wrigley Field are 95 percent owned by an entity controlled by a trust established for the benefit of the family of Joe Ricketts, owner and CEO of DNAinfo.com. Joe Ricketts has no direct involvement in the management of the iconic team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Good thread.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:20 pm 

It Happened!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:38 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Godfella wrote:

Cubs spokesman Julian Green did not respond to a message Friday evening from DNAinfo, but the team is not obligated to reimburse the city for any of the overtime expenses incurred to protect Cubs fans.

Nor should the Cubs pay a dime. The city has given NOTHING towards construction costs for the rebuilding of the ballpark and rake in millions from the entertainment tax on tickets as well as taxes paid by the Cubs for all concessions, merchandise and parking, along with tickets. The city is lucky the team stuck around, rather than relocating to Rosemont.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:48 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Godfella wrote:

Nor should the Cubs pay a dime. The city has given NOTHING towards construction costs for the rebuilding of the ballpark and rake in millions from the entertainment tax on tickets as well as taxes paid by the Cubs for all concessions, merchandise and parking, along with tickets. The city is lucky the team stuck around, rather than relocating to Rosemont.
:lol: Why didn't the city pay for construction costs of a privately owned building! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:52 pm 

Still cant believe Chapman got thru that 9th inning

So awesome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:52 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

So awesome
Yup.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:55 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

So awesome

I think that Kipnis foul ball in the 9th had us all circling the drain for a brief moment.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:56 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Godfella wrote:

:lol: Why didn't the city pay for construction costs of a privately owned building! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Probably the majority of ballparks and stadiums built in the past 2 decades are subsidized or paid for completely by the city/ state they are built in. The fact that the city receives millions each year in tax revenue from the team, as well as many businesses in the area being supported heavily (if not almost entirely) by the Cubs, thus indirectly adding more still to the city's economy and tax base, to expect some kind of financial investment/ support might be viewed as a smart investment. That is why Rosemont was willing to not only GIVE the land needed for the Cubs to build their ballpark there, but agree to NO ENTERTAINMENT TAX there as well. They recognized the enormous financial windfall their city would have received had the team relocated there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:03 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Probably the majority of ballparks and stadiums built in the past 2 decades are subsidized or paid for completely by the city/ state they are built in. The fact that the city receives millions each year in tax revenue from the team, as well as many businesses in the area being supported heavily (if not almost entirely) by the Cubs, thus indirectly adding more still to the city's economy and tax base, to expect some kind of financial investment/ support might be viewed as a smart investment. That is why Rosemont was willing to not only GIVE the land needed for the Cubs to build their ballpark there, but agree to NO ENTERTAINMENT TAX there as well. They recognized the enormous financial windfall their city would have received had the team relocated there.
Virtually all those stadiums aren't owned by the team! :lol:

That is why the Cubs didn't get construction costs paid for and they never were going to get them paid for. The Cubs own the stadium. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:04 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

So awesome

He threw nothing but sliders that inning. His fastball had nothing on it after being overused by Madden. It was fortunate that he was able to get through that inning. Nearly blew the World Series. Maddon should have left Hendricks in for 7 innings as he did in the NLCS winner, then had Lester pitch the 8th and 9th and not used Chapman at all. He was used up in game 6 foolishly. Saying it doesn't matter because they still won, is what stupid people might cling to. They won in spite of Maddon. He's a really good Manager most of the time, but he was really bad in how he used Chapman in games 6 and 7.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:10 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Virtually all those stadiums aren't owned by the team! :lol:

That is why the Cubs didn't get construction costs paid for and they never were going to get them paid for. The Cubs own the stadium. :lol:

Yes. The team saves hundreds of millions by allowing the city/ state to own and maintain their ballpark. The team still gets all the broadcast revenue (which is far greater than ticket revenue) as well as sharing the ticket revenue and parking and concessions. The Cubs had the burden of having to spend hundreds on millions, while the city and state sit back and collect millions in taxes from the ball club as well as surrounding businesses. All while providing absolutely no financial assistance. So as I said, were I in the shoes of Tom Ricketts, I would re-pay the city NOTHING towards the costs they incurred. They already have poured millions into neighborhood improvements, as well as the development and improvements of local parks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152  Next