It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:16 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
IMU wrote:
No need to show the league what he has in Spring Training.
He is showing nothing, which is exactly what he has offensively.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Going forward, would you rather have Shin Soo Choo, Jacoby Elisbury or Jason Heyward?

And courtesy of MLBTradeRumors.com this morning...

There’s no set timetable for when a rebuilding team should start trying to compete again, as C. Trent Rosencrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer hears from several general managers who have either led their teams through rebuilds or are currently within the process of building for the future. The Cubs’ blueprint for rebuilding seems to have worked perfectly, though GM Jed Hoyer noted that the team’s decision to spend on veteran talent following an 89-loss season in 2014 was made in part because too much losing would’ve been detrimental. “We were very concerned about a losing culture and bringing up our young players. If you bring your players up in a culture that accepts losing, at some point it’s going to have a negative impact on those guys,” Hoyer said.

Given all the talk we've had regarding how a baseball team should go about rebuilding, it's quite interesting to read that quote from Hoyer. I know it's crazy to say after a title, but in Theo & Co.'s heads, are they still ahead of schedule?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:38 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
Going forward, would you rather have Shin Soo Choo, Jacoby Elisbury or Jason Heyward?

There’s no set timetable for when a rebuilding team should start trying to compete again, as C. Trent Rosencrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer hears from several general managers who have either led their teams through rebuilds or are currently within the process of building for the future. The Cubs’ blueprint for rebuilding seems to have worked perfectly, though GM Jed Hoyer noted that the team’s decision to spend on veteran talent following an 89-loss season in 2014 was made in part because too much losing would’ve been detrimental. “We were very concerned about a losing culture and bringing up our young players. If you bring your players up in a culture that accepts losing, at some point it’s going to have a negative impact on those guys,” Hoyer said.

Given all the talk we've had regarding how a baseball team should go about rebuilding, it's quite interesting to read that quote from Hoyer. I know it's crazy to say after a title, but in Theo & Co.'s heads, are they still ahead of schedule?

I believe I said that all along with Starlin Castro. I don't think he started out as a guy who played only for himself.

It would be pretty difficult to create a more pretentious sounding name than C. Trent Rosencrans.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:54 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Counting on Papelbon? Fuck, Lee Smith was available to.. Christ..

The guy still had it last year. On a good contending team, I think he would have performed well. I would have rather taken my chances with him and kept Torres. Hell, I would rather have taken my chances with Strop and kept Torres.

Is this the same Papelbon that pitched for the Nationals (a contending team last time I checked) and sucked balls for them (4.37 ERA, 1.47 WHIP) so much so that they cut his ass and nobody signed him contender or otherwise?

Yeah, I'm sue he would have performed great for the Cubbies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
One Post wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Counting on Papelbon? Fuck, Lee Smith was available to.. Christ..

The guy still had it last year. On a good contending team, I think he would have performed well. I would have rather taken my chances with him and kept Torres. Hell, I would rather have taken my chances with Strop and kept Torres.

Is this the same Papelbon that pitched for the Nationals (a contending team last time I checked) and sucked balls for them (4.37 ERA, 1.47 WHIP) so much so that they cut his ass and nobody signed him contender or otherwise?

Yeah, I'm sue he would have performed great for the Cubbies.

Who would Papelbon have tried to choke?

I'm guessing Contreras. Would have been a good match-up too. Papelbon is willing to engage physically and Willson looks freakishly strong.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Ian Happ leads the team in dingers and is batting .448.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
The Kids Can Play

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:37 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Heyward .087/.222/.261

He just has to move his hands and he will be fine.

He needs to move them out of his asshole and onto a bat.
This might go down as the worst signing in the history of signings...holy shit does he suck!

:lol:

Thats a great fuckin post, Jimmy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
good dolphin wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

I believe I said that all along with Starlin Castro. I don't think he started out as a guy who played only for himself.

It would be pretty difficult to create a more pretentious sounding name than C. Trent Rosencrans.

Castro is regarded by most to be a good guy who just doesn't know how to harness his talent...kid has baseball ADHD. Don't think that has much to do with losing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
We need to get the band together at Wrigley for a Cub game this year...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Got back yesterday after extending my trip a couple days (glad Southwest has a no change fees) Spring games are fun, but also frustrating. The starters can have the game well in hand (as was the case this past Sunday against the A's) and then they pull them all and the opposing team beats up on pitchers that will not break camp with the major league club and the game gets away..... Haap looks great. Looks really good at 2B and plays the outfield. If not for wasting so much money on Heyward, I would guess Haap might have a chance to make the club. But with Zobrist and Baez at 2B, he's not taking that spot anytime this season. Jimenez had prodigious power. The HR he hit at the game on Saturday was great (Haap hit a HR that day too), but he swings and misses a bit much. I thought Jimenez was the better prospect, but left Arizona thinking it might well be Haap. Jimenez doesn't have quite the commitment to fitness that he could have either. Candelario is ready and nowhere to play. Guessing he may be traded. Nice problem to have too much talent, but feel sorry for guys like Candelario who are waiting for an injury or a trade to get their opportunity. One thing that bothered me, was the number of throws I saw Bryant make from 3rd when the defense took the field that were bad to Rizzo. Nonchalant throw after throw, that were short of 3rd. Not sure if he had a sore arm or just not making a great effort. His bat looked sharp though. Another MVP caliber season would not surprise me. Kind of surprised he hasn't played in the outfield at all yet though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:36 pm 

Stan's guy Pierce Johnson didn't look real good. He's got good stuff but that arm action is preventing him from commanding it. Not even sure if he can be a reliable bullpen arm at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:47 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
How about Happ in RF & Hayward in CF against RHP and Almora back in CF vs. LHP?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:32 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Cubs Dig The Long Ball, Win In Vegas; Lose To Padres In Mesa

http://www.levelvape.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:11 am 
100000 CLUB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Jorge Soler is hurt again. Stop the presses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
jimmypasta wrote:
How about Happ in RF & Hayward in CF against RHP and Almora back in CF vs. LHP?

NO

Almora is going to play most games unless he struggles, which I doubt he will. The guy is a special CF and can hit too. Heyward doesn't deserve a spot in the lineup because of his terrible hitting, but will play because of his ridiculous contract. They have enough offense that they can probably afford to carry Heyward.......again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:03 am 

"Special" in that few have been able to mimic the Jim Edmunds unnecessary leap to make a catch look more difficult that it is

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:45 am 
100000 CLUB

Earlier this morning on an update, I heard that the Cubs open the season AT St. Louis on Sunday night.

Why are BOTH 2016 World Series teams opening up on the road? IMO, the teams that are coming off playing in the World Series should get their first game with all of the pomp and circumstance at home. Stupid move by MLB.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7