It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Heyward looked awful this afternoon.

0 for 8 through 3 games.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i find it amusing that the old cubs catcher Welington Castillo was short one L, and the guy who effectively replaced him, Willson Contreras, has an extra L! #BaseballGonnaBaseball, amirite?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:03 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
any "going for it" trade that ends in a world series victory is a justifiable trade

Of course. Who said otherwise?

Lord Steven of Elmhurst

He doesn't count.

I did a wallpaper job in Glencoe for Andrew Berlin last week. He is a part owner of the Cubs, The White Sox, as well as owning (outright) the Cubs class A affiliate in South Bend, Indiana. I talked to him about the Cubs a couple times while doing the work there. One day, we talked for over a half hour. Interesting guy. An attorney, Owned a packaging company he sold last year for 1.4 Billion. The guy LOVES Baseball. He had Glyber Torres in South Bend and agreed that he will be a special player. An All-Star multiple times. He says the same about Eloy Jimenez. Going to plan a trip to South Bend to see a couple games there this summer. I stand by my statement about Chapman and Torres. Torres was too much to give up for a 2 month rental. They could have won it with someone else who would not have cost as much and perhaps done an even better job.

Unlike the White Sox history making dominance in winning the 2005 World Series, the Cubs margin for error was razor thin in each round. They do not win a world series without Chapman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Has Heyward gotten a hit yet?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:09 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I do not believe Steve talked to that guy other than cursory greetings. Also, only the most idiotic of idiot Cubs fans would still bemoan the only big in season trade that was vital to them winning the WS. Nobody gave a shit about Miguel Olivo or Jeremy Reed once the Sox won it all, which is something they likely would not have done without Freddy Garcia.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I don't believe he has Mike.. Not good. The money is sunk so I'm not sure what the acceptable performance for him is to mitigate the contract into just a disaster instead of an absolute disaster. Needless to say I don't think you are going to get value on that contract but you gotta get something more than last year's performance.

Torres might be one of the next great players in the history of the game, become the best shortstop in the game and end up a hall of famer. The Cubs won the world series. That's all that counts. If they lost in the first round or second round than you could bemoan the trade even though it is exactly why you have these players in the system, to go for it. Was it a steep price? Yes, but that's the price of playing poker and they won.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Who the fuck still does wallpaper in their house?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Caller Bob wrote:

Apparently multi-billionaires who like to hang out with the contractors that are doing the work on site.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I don't give a fuck if Torres turns into a HOF'er. The trade was justified by the WS win. To think otherwise is moronic.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:39 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
I don't give a fuck if Torres turns into a HOF'er. The trade was justified by the WS win. To think otherwise is moronic.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:43 am 

badrogue17 wrote:

This is really the only answer. Especially with someone who was in low A who doesn't have a place to play on this roster.

Soler starting out a Heywardesque 0-14 with the Royals. Also don't care if he becomes a star.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
TurdFerguson wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

This is really the only answer. Especially with someone who was in low A who doesn't have a place to play on this roster.

Soler starting out a Heywardesque 0-14 with the Royals. Also don't care if he becomes a star.

I wouldn't say that I wouldn't give a fuck. I would be annoyed if becomes A-Rod 2.0 and the Cubs missed having him. I can never be mad about it though. I got to see the promised land. That's bigger than one players career, regardless of how good he becomes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Caller Bob wrote:

Lots of people. It's actually very much in fashion again. More on the North shore and the material is not typical wallpaper. The Wallcovering I installed in Berlin's home was leather. That's right leather. It is stitched into 4 inch squares and has a canvas backing. It's actually pretty spectacular looking, and should be at $800.00 a roll. lots of Grasscloth being installed these days again too. Silk, linen, suede, as well as the more typical wallpaper you might be thinking of. The days of rag rolling and other faux finishing is over and wallpaper is back in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:49 am 

Good to see if you hire Steve you can trust he won't tell the world about what he did for you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:51 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Good to see if you hire Steve you can trust he won't tell the world about what he did for you.

It was leather , Rick. That's right , leather.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:52 am 

TurdFerguson wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Soler's ceiling is nowhere near as high. Trading him made perfect sense. Not a good outfielder and not a good base runner and gets hurt too often. The Cubs will win another World series in the next few years. Maybe a couple. Then, you will see how Heyward was not a critical piece. Hell, he really wasn't that great in the World Series, though Madden shares blame for that. Could have won it with another closer that would not have cost them Torres.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:55 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Soler's ceiling is nowhere near as high. Trading him made perfect sense. Not a good outfielder and not a good base runner and gets hurt too often. The Cubs will win another World series in the next few years. Maybe a couple. Then, you will see how Heyward was not a critical piece. Hell, he really wasn't that great in the World Series, though Madden shares blame for that. Could have won it with another closer that would not have cost them Torres.

You have no way of knowing that but I do know that they DID win it with Chapman. Just stop with this idiocy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:58 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I wouldn't say that I wouldn't give a fuck. I would be annoyed if becomes A-Rod 2.0 and the Cubs missed having him. I can never be mad about it though. I got to see the promised land. That's bigger than one players career, regardless of how good he becomes.

AROD is a bad comp as he can never had a pedigree that high. Torres doesn't even have the pedigree of Russell yet and we got him for Shark and Hammel. The only 2 pitchers that could truly impact the cubs chances played for the Yankees. Sucks to lose them but that is a trade they had to make.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:04 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Soler is not Torres in the same way Davis is not Chapman.

Trading Torres makes just as much sense,with Russel as the incumbent, I never see Torres playing SS for the Cubs. The Cubs had 3 impact trade chips, Torres, Schwarber, and Jimenez. Considering Schrwarber was a contirbitor to a WS and Jimenez is getting a 70-80 power grade in left field. They traded off the right piece.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:08 pm 

TurdFerguson wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

AROD is a bad comp as he can never had a pedigree that high. Torres doesn't even have the pedigree of Russell yet and we got him for Shark and Hammel. The only 2 pitchers that could truly impact the cubs chances played for the Yankees. Sucks to lose them but that is a trade they had to make.

You don't know they couldn't have done it with another close. You don't know if they couldn't have done it with guys they already had. Yes, we know they did it with the spousal abuser. But its possible they could have done it with someone else. I would not have given up Torres. Not for a rental.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

Surely the leather was made from horsehide.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:14 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

You don't know they couldn't have done it with another close. You don't know if they couldn't have done it with guys they already had. Yes, we know they did it with the spousal abuser. But its possible they could have done it with someone else. I would not have given up Torres. Not for a rental.

Correct, they could have done in with Pedro Strop... I'm not sure what your point is though. They did it with Chapman, I care not for any alternatives.

Have fun bemoaning the trade on your island. I'll enjoy my 2017 Christmas tree ornament that finally arrive in the mail as a late Christmas present.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:15 pm 

And you'd be wrong . Next time consult the owner of the South Bend Windvanes before posting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:17 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It was leather , Rick. That's right , leather.
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:19 pm 

And we don't know what another closer would have cost either. Miller was not a cheap get for Cleveland. Cubs won. Its all that matters now. Wasn't a huge fan of the trade but they won.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:24 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
And we don't know what another closer would have cost either. Miller was not a cheap get for Cleveland. Cubs won. Its all that matters now. Wasn't a huge fan of the trade but they won.

Miller was going to cost Schwarber, so they declined that one. Lots of other teams to deal with. Hell, could have gotten Papelbon for a low prospect. Might be a head case, but he got the job done for them in Boston and they still could have waved goodbye to him after the series if they didn't want to keep him around.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:25 pm 

Counting on Papelbon? Fuck, Lee Smith was available to.. Christ..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:28 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Miller was going to cost Schwarber, so they declined that one. Lots of other teams to deal with. Hell, could have gotten Papelbon for a low prospect. Might be a head case, but he got the job done for them in Boston and they still could have waved goodbye to him after the series if they didn't want to keep him around.

So your solution was to get the closer from another playoff team who also pitched considerable worse than chapman.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Might be a head case, but [Papelbon] got the job done for them in Boston and they still could have waved goodbye to him after the series if they didn't want to keep him around.
Yes, he did get the job done for the Red Sox.

In 2007.

Bobby Jenks was one of the best closers in MLB in 2007, and he was available last year too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:32 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Counting on Papelbon? Fuck, Lee Smith was available to.. Christ..

Papelbon had a great streak of consecutive save conversions just before his blow-up with Harper. The guy still had it last year. On a good contending team, I think he would have performed well. I would have rather taken my chances with him and kept Torres. Hell, I would rather have taken my chances with Strop and kept Torres.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next