It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
That one game Jordan played in and got 2 hits.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:52 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
juschill wrote:
312player wrote:
It hasn't peaked IMO, in 3 years Reinsdorph will be DEAD! The team will have a new majority owner and young talent blossoming. The Cubs will have won 2 rings in in the last 5 years and been a juggernaut the last 5...then things get interesting.

There is no rivalry to peak in the future.

It's adorable that you think the guys who haven't developed a single minor leaguer outside of Sale for the past 15 years will have young talent blossoming in three years. They're basing their hopes on a guy who has already proven he can't hit in the major leagues.

Interesting... Like comparing horse flies with the actual horse. Nothing interesting. White Sox best bet as a franchise is to leave this city. No serious free agent will ever sign with the team that will be perpetually ignored.

You a big Cub fan? I have some tickets available for you. You can have any Cardinals game for 3X the Diamond Level face. :lol: :lol: :lol: Go Cubs!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:07 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
juschill wrote:
312player wrote:
It hasn't peaked IMO, in 3 years Reinsdorph will be DEAD! The team will have a new majority owner and young talent blossoming. The Cubs will have won 2 rings in in the last 5 years and been a juggernaut the last 5...then things get interesting.

There is no rivalry to peak in the future.

It's adorable that you think the guys who haven't developed a single minor leaguer outside of Sale for the past 15 years will have young talent blossoming in three years. They're basing their hopes on a guy who has already proven he can't hit in the major leagues.

Interesting... Like comparing horse flies with the actual horse. Nothing interesting. White Sox best bet as a franchise is to leave this city. No serious free agent will ever sign with the team that will be perpetually ignored.

You a big Cub fan? I have some tickets available for you. You can have any Cardinals game for 3X the Diamond Level face. :lol: :lol: :lol: Go Cubs!

Nope. You won't find a bigger Cub or Cub-fan hater than me. Ambivalent about the White Sox. Just an unbiased outsider viewing the obvious that this city is only big enough for one team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:11 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
juschill wrote:
You won't find a bigger Cub or Cub-fan hater than me.
Try us.
juschill wrote:
Just an unbiased outsider...
No, you're not.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:24 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
juschill wrote:
Just an unbiased outsider...
No, you're not.

That's true enough. I stand corrected. I do loathe everything about the Cubs organization and it's fans and for the good of competitive baseball in general I've come to the conclusion that the White Sox should leave Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

You hate the Cubs so much that you want the other team to move to FARGO ???

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Frank Coztansa wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:51 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Indianapolis would do fine. Although I suspect the White Sox would have just as good a chance of attracting a serious free agent in Fargo as they would as the afterthought step children in Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

The White Sox can sign almost any free agent they want. All they have to do is pay the most money.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:08 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The White Sox can sign almost any free agent they want. All they have to do is pay the most money.
:lol: The problem is they've gotten too many free agents.

The funny thing is a lot of free agents have chosen to go elsewhere than the Cubs too and they had to overpay for others.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Pernicious myths.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:29 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

If that's all it takes then it shouldn't matter if they were in Fargo since all it takes is the most money and being an attractive franchise has nothing to do with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:31 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
:lol: The problem is they've gotten too many free agents.

The funny thing is a lot of free agents have chosen to go elsewhere than the Cubs too and they had to overpay for others.

Too many awful free agents and trades by an in-over-it's-head front office.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

juschill wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

If that's all it takes then it shouldn't matter if they were in Fargo since all it takes is the most money and being an attractive franchise has nothing to do with it.

Except they're pretty frugal right now and they wouldn't have as much money if they were in Fargo.

The idea that baseball players regularly take less to play for "attractive franchises" is pure fantasy. MLB is not the capped NBA.

The White Sox are not losing money. They have a sweet stadium deal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:52 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
juschill wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Except they're pretty frugal right now and they wouldn't have as much money if they were in Fargo.

The idea that baseball players regularly take less to play for "attractive franchises" is pure fantasy. MLB is not the capped NBA.

I know they're making money thanks to Reinsdorf blackmailing the state 30 years ago when the state should have told him good bye.

They haven't been frugal since the late eighties and in all that time the only serious free agent they signed was one of the biggest jerks to ever live.

I'm not sure that they wouldn't have as much money elsewhere. They'd be more likely to develop a fan base and get some attention. They would have an equal or greater chance of increasing attendance. They can develop a rivalry with a team on par with them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Just 3-4 years ago, when both teams were awful, it was a good rivalry. The games they had against each other were perhaps the most meaningful of the season, since neither team was going anywhere soon. But 2004, when both teams were going pretty well it was good too. The key, is having both teams at similar levels. Ideally, both teams doing well. But this season, the games will probably be more important to the Sox, as they will probably be a last place team, with their only possible saving grace being whatever victories they might get against their crosstown rivals. For the Cubs they will just be like playing the Reds, Padres or Braves. Just another team they should beat up on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:08 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Just 3-4 years ago, when both teams were awful, it was a good rivalry. The games they had against each other were perhaps the most meaningful of the season, since neither team was going anywhere soon. But 2004, when both teams were going pretty well it was good too. The key, is having both teams at similar levels. Ideally, both teams doing well. But this season, the games will probably be more important to the Sox, as they will probably be a last place team, with their only possible saving grace being whatever victories they might get against their crosstown rivals. For the Cubs they will just be like playing the Reds, Padres or Braves. Just another team they should beat up on.

They never, ever will be on similar levels in terms of fan or media interest. The White Sox will perpetually be the Western Michigan to the Cubs Michigan. An insignificant footnote.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Can someone detail the fall of the White Sox as the team of Chicago.

Was there a void in the early 80s? I remember when the Sox won in 83 it wasn't nearly as popular as the Cubs 84 season.

Was the media just full of more Cubs fans than Sox fans sometime in the late 70s or early 80s?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
juschill wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That will get you to a championship. Keep on believing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:16 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
juschill wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

They never, ever will be on similar levels in terms of fan or media interest. The White Sox will perpetually be the Western Michigan to the Cubs Michigan. An insignificant footnote.

I agree and believe that the division between the two will likely grow, as the Cubs continue to dominate and the Sox likely struggle in the short term.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:20 am 
100000 CLUB

Congrats on the Headline Championship!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:24 am 
Site Admin

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
juschill wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

I agree and believe that the division between the two will likely grow, as the Cubs continue to dominate and the Sox likely struggle in the short term.

That's fantasyland though. The game isn't set up for the Cubs- or anyone else- to "dominate". You might not notice it right now in the post-coital afterglow of the first Cub championship in 108 seasons, but everything that made the Cubs special is GONE. They will be judged more and more like a normal team. Even Wrigley Field is gone. Buried in a canyon of giant buildings and resurfaced so that it looks like a cheap replica of the original.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
juschill wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

That's fantasyland though. The game isn't set up for the Cubs- or anyone else- to "dominate". You might not notice it right now in the post-coital afterglow of the first Cub championship in 108 seasons, but everything that made the Cubs special is GONE. They will be judged more and more like a normal team. Even Wrigley Field is gone. Buried in a canyon of giant buildings and resurfaced so that it looks like a cheap replica of the original.

I think that's fantasyland to think that since they won and aren't losers anymore that they're just a regular team. The bars aren't going to close down. The fans won't sober up. And the fans won't care that their ugly stadium is now a permanent billboard. The media won't stop covering them. It'll still be the cool thing to do in the summer. And the Sox will still play in a ghetto that couldn't be a more unattractive venue for a game. (I hate Jerry Reinsdorf more every day.). Until the White Sox move the gap between them will continue to grow. Even when the White Sox have successful years on the field. Which should be a while because what they are doing now is not a rebuild, it's unloading malcontents. Nothing more.

Last edited by juschill on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
juschill wrote:
basing their hopes on a guy who has already proven he can't hit in the major leagues.

What?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:49 am 

If the Mets and Clippers can still exist and do fairly well with the Yankees and Lakers in the same town the Sox can do just fine with the Cubs.

The Cubs would need about 20 years of championship success to even be in the same discussion as the Yankees and Lakers.

Some smart owner is going to buy the Sox on the cheap compared to most other franchises and make a ton of money with some very simple moves that leverage Chicago rather than leaving Chicago.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:55 am 

IMU wrote:
juschill wrote:
basing their hopes on a guy who has already proven he can't hit in the major leagues.

What?

Basing their hopes on a guy dropped from the second best prospect to the seventeenth because he struck out 12 times in 19 plate appearances. And this is the hope for the future. I think they may have made the worst trade in all of human history.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:01 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If the Mets and Clippers can still exist and do fairly well with the Yankees and Lakers in the same town the Sox can do just fine with the Cubs.

The Cubs would need about 20 years of championship success to even be in the same discussion as the Yankees and Lakers.

Some smart owner is going to buy the Sox on the cheap compared to most other franchises and make a ton of money with some very simple moves that leverage Chicago rather than leaving Chicago.

I don't think the Cubs need 20 years of championships to be like the Yankees or Lakers in terms of fan interest or media interest. They are right there if not superior to those two in terms of fan base and interest and always have been.

I don't know how a new owner would be better for the White Sox while they still play in the ghetto. Unless they closed that stadium down and moved downtown (which would be less likely than the team moving to Indianapolis).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:04 am 
Site Admin

juschill wrote:
IMU wrote:
juschill wrote:

What?

Basing their hopes on a guy dropped from the second best prospect to the seventeenth because he struck out 12 times in 19 plate appearances. And this is the hope for the future. I think they may have made the worst trade in all of human history.

He'll strike out slightly less than Kris Bryant.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
juschill wrote:
IMU wrote:
juschill wrote:

What?

19 plate appearances does not a career make.

You are an idiot.

Please do us all a favor and go drown yourself in Lake Michigan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next