It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
In other words upwards of 200 million. Surprised to see that blurb from Bruce Levine last year that it could've gotten done for 130 ish. From Sports Mockery.

Yes , even after a record-setting 2015, two no-hitters and a World Series title, Jake Arrieta is most likely pitching in his final season with the Chicago Cubs if he’s still looking for a $200 million contract. According to Jon Heyman, that’s exactly what the 2015 NL Cy Young Award winner wants when he hits free agency following the 2017 season. It shouldn’t come as a big surprise, seeing as Arrieta still pitched great in 2016, despite looking bad at times and struggling with his command throughout the season. The truth of the matter is, Arrieta has been phenomenal since the Cubs traded for him in 2013. In four seasons with Chicago, Arrieta has a 54-21 record, 2.52 ERA and 0.985 WHIP. Amazing numbers. So yes, Arrieta has every right to go out there after this season and demand as much money as he wants because as bad as the pitching market will be, he’ll probably get a huge deal from someone. I just don’t think it will be from the Cubs.

On Friday, Heyman reported that Arrieta is looking for a big deal, a Max Scherzer type deal. No way the Cubs do that for Arrieta, who will be 32-years-old when the 2018 season begins. Via Jon Heyman:
The Cubs and Jake Arrieta’s agent Scott Boras spoke within the past few weeks, and there was said to be “no traction.” The expectation is that Arrieta will be a free agent at year’s end. Cubs people love Arrieta, and helped turn him into a big star. However, the belief is that they wouldn’t go more than four years, if that. Arrieta is looking for a mega deal along the lines of the Max Scherzer contract with the Nats
The “no traction” in contract talks between the Cubs and Arrieta has been a common theme. During spring training in 2016, both sides reportedly engaged in extension conversations, but those didn’t lead to anything either.
Arrieta wanted a seven-year deal last season and obviously the Cubs wanted nothing to do with that. As a reminder, the Washington Nationals gave Scherzer a seven-year deal worth $210 million. In 2016, the Cubs and Arrieta were discussing a deal worth about $130 million.

Bruce Levine:
Another source told me that the discussions go back to this fall and winter. One source said a six-year, $130-million contract was asked for a few months ago in negotiations. The source said there were many moving parts to the contract language that has yet to be agreed upon. (Bruce Levine)

Again, no long-term deal was ever reached. The 2017 season is a big year for both the Cubs and Arrieta in regard to the future of the team’s starting rotation. John Lackey will also be a free agent and nearing 40-years-old, could be retiring. Arrieta will be the top starting pitcher in free agency and even if the Cubs do want him back, which they do, he’s going to be too pricey. The Cubs are in danger of losing 40 percent of their starting rotation after 2017, and as far as Arrieta goes, if he has another good year he’s in for a mega contract.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
See ya.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Don't give him a dime.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
200M for arrieta would make theo's carl crawford signing look good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Bye, Felicia.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Elmhurst Steve thinks Heyward will opt out, then the Cubs can pay Jake.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:50 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Did you know he wanted Denard Span too?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The only teams I can see giving him that kind of money are the Yankees, the Dodgers, and the Braves. The latter only because they're moving into a new stadium this year and the apathetic Braves fans will only give them one year of total rebuilding before they stop showing up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:13 am 
100000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

He did?! What a sage baseball mind!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:59 am 

The Quintana contract averages out to about 9 million per year over the next four years...oh, and those are years 28-31.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:08 am 

good dolphin wrote:
The Quintana contract averages out to about 9 million per year over the next four years...oh, and those are years 28-31.

Hopefully he'll crack the .500 mark by then .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Frank Coztansa wrote:

No, I do not think he will opt out. I would love it if he did. but I highly doubt he could find another team to offer him anywhere near the same money, after the shit season he had in 2016. If he did opt out (which will not happen) I would be thrilled to see the money go to a starting pitcher instead, but if Jake is really looking for 200 million, I would look for another option. Thanks for the memories and best of luck to you Jake.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:17 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Yes. I wanted Span for 2016 only, as a bridge to Albert Almora Jr. I thought he would be a great stop gap till Almora was ready.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:18 pm 

I want Scherzer money too so I can have Elmhurst Steve wallpaper my house in leather.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:19 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

If you're lucky, Rick, maybe he will sit and talk baseball with you for half an hour!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:28 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I want Scherzer money too so I can have Elmhurst Steve wallpaper my house in leather.

Good luck with that. Wasn't the whole house though, just 1 room. Pain in the neck to work with. Have to use a new razor blade for every cut, because the leather was so thick, it dulled the blade on the first use.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
The chances of Heyward opting out are slim and none.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:00 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
The only teams I can see giving him that kind of money are the Yankees, the Dodgers, and the Braves. The latter only because they're moving into a new stadium this year and the apathetic Braves fans will only give them one year of total rebuilding before they stop showing up.

Barves fans haven't shown up in years and won't start now that tickets cost more and the stadium is harder to get to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Curious Hair wrote:

Barves fans

I think this is the first typo I've ever seen from you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:29 pm 

If he has a good year he'll get it somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Barves fans

That's not a typo...

edit: was looking for this gif and just found it...RFDC posted it in another thread a while back...so Barve...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Yes. I wanted Span for 2016 only, as a bridge to Albert Almora Jr. I thought he would be a great stop gap till Almora was ready.

Span got 3/31 from San Fran. You were mad that the Cubs didn't sign him for one year?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:14 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Barves fans

It was their typo. It's baseball's answer to "Go Perds."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:46 am 

Chus wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Span got 3/31 from San Fran. You were mad that the Cubs didn't sign him for one year? ]

Because he was coming back from hip surgery, it was questionable whether he could get a multi-year deal. I was hoping they could give him a one year deal with escalators for number of games as well as production levels. I would never have matched the 3 year deal. Not because he isn't worthy of the pay as much as it would have blocked Almora.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:48 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Chus wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Span got 3/31 from San Fran. You were mad that the Cubs didn't sign him for one year? ]

Because he was coming back from hip surgery, it was questionable whether he could get a multi-year deal. I was hoping they could give him a one year deal with escalators for number of games as well as production levels. I would never have matched the 3 year deal. Not because he isn't worthy of the pay as much as it would have blocked Almora.

All of last season, you complained that they didn't sign Span (for one year) and Zimmermann, rather than Heyward, knowing full well that Span got three years. Do you see how this doesn't add up?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:15 am 

Chus wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Chus wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

All of last season, you complained that they didn't sign Span (for one year) and Zimmermann, rather than Heyward, knowing full well that Span got three years. Do you see how this doesn't add up?

It doesn't add up, only because it doesn't fit your narrative. I said I wanted Span on a 1 year deal, with a club option for a 2nd year, before he was signed. No way I sign him for more than 1 guaranteed year, because I believed Almora would be ready by 2017 to take over CF. Once he got the 3 year offer, I would have had to expand my search for another CF stop gap. Turned out great that Fowler was that guy in the end. I know NOW that Span wound up getting 3 years, not when I wanted him signed for 1 year with an option. Go ahead and look it up in last winters posts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:27 am 
100000 CLUB

Yeah, look it up, CHUSE. He probably made those posts right about the same time he lied about running the Spartan Mud Races, too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:38 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Chus wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Chus wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

It doesn't add up, only because it doesn't fit your narrative. I said I wanted Span on a 1 year deal, with a club option for a 2nd year, before he was signed. No way I sign him for more than 1 guaranteed year, because I believed Almora would be ready by 2017 to take over CF. Once he got the 3 year offer, I would have had to expand my search for another CF stop gap. Turned out great that Fowler was that guy in the end. I know NOW that Span wound up getting 3 years, not when I wanted him signed for 1 year with an option. Go ahead and look it up in last winters posts.

Here is a search of "Span" by Elmhurst Steve in the Cubs section.

search.php?keywords=span&terms=all&author=elmhurst+steve&fid%5B%5D=32&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

All season long, you pined for Span to apparently be a one year place holder for Almora, AFTER Span signed a three year deal. These are your exact posts, not my narrative.

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:44 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Yeah, look it up, CHUSE. He probably made those posts right about the same time he lied about running the Spartan Mud Races, too.

Didn't lie about that either. Running in them again this year in Richmond Illinois as well as one at Lambeau Field. Still have to decide on where to run the Beast, to complete the trifecta. Gonna be a great challenge, as I have not attempted the Beast before. It is the longest of the Spartan races. It is truly an obstacle course race though. not just a mud run. Unlike a Tough Mudder, being a part of a team is not important. I run the Spartans, Tough Mudder and Battlefrog (now defunct) with a buddy of mine, but not a whole team. A bunch of the guys I worked with on Divergent (Dauntless faction) may be doing the Spartan in Richmond with me this year though and we will all have shirts to identify our team. Probably Divergent shirts. One of the guys was on Steve Austin's Broken Skull Ranch show as a contestant. You want to bring your fat, polish ass out to one of the races, I'll be happy to watch you tap out while I go on to finish.