It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
less or more significant than the fat batboy picking out a bat for Roy Hobbs?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Looks like he's asking Roy there to stick that bat somewhere naughty.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:09 am 

It looks like the batboy ate the real batboy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
The contract is awful. No way around it. Just brutal. But on the bright side, at least we aren't White Sox fans.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:40 pm 

One of the more overrated things in baseball history.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
He's obviously a terrible signing, but if his "speech" even had .00000000001% to do with winning the WS, he's worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:04 pm 

My 2cents...

* he's a buster at the plate. Hopefully he can find his way back to adequate

* The dude seems pretty decent. Dealt with everything like a pro. No drama-queen shit.

* Not his fault about the contract. Still plays hard & very strong defensively

* Last year against Giants in playoffs...he laid down a super-shitty bunt that could've been a double play...he busted it down to first and made it to second on the throwing error.

* The Speech! Showed leadership in that regard...despite the adversity he faced all season

* 2016...he was on the team....they won it all...He played a role...great signing! It's only money.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
walkrman5 wrote:

* 2016...he was on the team....they won it all...He played a role...great signing! It's only money.

I agree that the World Series victory is all that counts. But down the road that contract is going to cost you being able to keep somebody.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Nevermind that everyone on the team says it calmed them down , got them to refocus after things fell apart but I guess you know what the effect was better than the guys who actually were there and played in the game .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

I agree that the World Series victory is all that counts. But down the road that contract is going to cost you being able to keep somebody.

I know....it'll probably end up like Soriano where the last few years are "brutal" and you're counting the days until the end. Then again...hopefully revenue streams via whatever their tv rights become can offset some bad money contracts. Shit like bad contracts / players never seemed to stop the Yankees from doing what they needed/wanted to do. Maybe he can start to hit a little bit,...but watching his spring training AB's doesn't give me much confidence in that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:14 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Nevermind that everyone on the team says it calmed them down , got them to refocus after things fell apart but I guess you know what the effect was better than the guys who actually were there and played in the game .
Are we honestly to believe that a team that was the best team all season won the World Series because one of their worst players stood up and said some words?

It's a cool Hollywood type ending and it is a way to take some heat off a guy who was bad on the field but is a good guy with no downside to anyone besides Maddon who obviously had no control of his team since he needed this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Soriano actually improved in his last few years of that contract....he fooled me and a lot of other Cub fans.

He then went to NY and continued to light it up over there for awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Are we honestly to believe that a team that was the best team all season won the World Series because one of their worst players stood up and said some words?

It's a cool Hollywood type ending and it is a way to take some heat off a guy who was bad on the field but is a good guy with no downside to anyone besides Maddon who obviously had no control of his team since he needed this.

You're right . I guess I'll cede to your expertise on this .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:21 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

Not a position player. Perhaps Arrieta, but they might have balked on his demands regardless.

Last edited by Caller Bob on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:23 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You shouldn't let the Cubs make you so upset.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

Not a position player. Perhaps Arrieta, but they might half balked on his demands regardless.

Of course it's probably going to cost you a position player. If all of these guys are what you think they are, they're going to command big dollars. Even the Cubs with all their fat revenue streams aren't going to pay Heyward that money to be the 25th guy. You have to hope he can give you some production. If he doesn't, cutting him is just some fantasy that fans discuss on message boards.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:28 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

Not a position player. Perhaps Arrieta, but they might half balked on his demands regardless.

Of course it's probably going to cost you a position player. If all of these guys are what you think they are, they're going to command big dollars. Even the Cubs with all their fat revenue streams aren't going to pay Heyward that money to be the 25th guy. You have to hope he can give you some production. If he doesn't, cutting him is just some fantasy that fans discuss on message boards.

They may live with it for a while...end up trading him for a bag of balls...and eat most of the salary. So at that point...it'll just be a money thing and he won't take up a roster spot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:28 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You know coaches, and players, team captains and such never give "pep-talks" or "speeches" to their teams before games...or at half-time or after games. What's the point? It must be meaningless right? I'm sure it's always just X's & O's and strategy all the time. Speeches don't matter. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:31 pm 

All of the young position players are locked into contracts that don't end or end right around the time Heywards deal expires.
Rizzo-control till 2021

Russell control till 2022
Bryant control till 2021
Contreras control till 2022
Baez control till 2022

So no, Heywards deal won't cost one of these players.thanks for playing, bye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:32 pm 

Now go home and get your fn shine box

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:38 pm 

walkrman5 wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You know coaches, and players, team captains and such never give "pep-talks" or "speeches" to their teams before games...or at half-time or after games. What's the point? It must be meaningless right? I'm sure it's always just X's & O's and strategy all the time. Speeches don't matter. :wink:
It may have had an impact of some sort. It isn't the reason they won.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:45 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It may have had an impact of some sort. It isn't the reason they won.

Thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:46 pm 

Why don't you guys just ask nicely that no one but Cubs fans ever share an opinion?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:54 pm 

walkrman5 wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

In baseball? No, they do not.

I think they might be able to get the adrenalin running in sports like football and basketball to a lesser extent. Baseball prefers calm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:56 pm 

Big dollar free agent contracts are Theo Epstein's memento mori.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
It was huge. These players are human and sometimes the weight of the moment can make you lose focus. His leadership made up for his suckage.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:01 pm 

Nas wrote:
It was huge. These players are human and sometimes the weight of the moment can make you lose focus. His leadership made up for his suckage.

The timeout caused by the rain was a bigger impact than Heyward's speech.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:

The timeout caused by the rain was a bigger impact than Heyward's speech.

After the assistance of God I believe that speech by Heyward was the most important thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:11 pm 
100000 CLUB

Let's not forget some of these guys were in full meltdown mode. They NEEDED someone to help them refocus.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next