It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
If anyone wants to tune in and hear Cubs players who were actually in the game say how little Heywards speech had to do with them winning, heres your chance.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Think they'll show any Javy Baez highlights?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Baez sucks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
9:45 now, fucking Comcast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:43 pm 

Scooter wrote:
Baez sucks

If only Darwin Barney could've hit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Matches Malone wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Baez sucks

My post was sarcasm.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:49 pm 

Scooter wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Baez sucks

My post was sarcasm.

As was mine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:43 pm 

Great show. Heywards speech easily worth 200 million dollars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Great to relive 2016 and easy to look forward to the 2017 season with this group.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:36 am 

Every time I watch anything related to the 2016 World Series....One of the things it continues to confirm for me, is just how bad Joe Maddon managed in game 7 particularly. Hopefully he learns, and doesn't act so desperate if the Cubs are lucky/good enough to find themselves in a similar position over the next few years.

He made questionable decisions in games 5,6, & 7. I know, I know...the Cubs did win for the first time in "forever"...so the man gets his due. That still doesn't change my mind that he made bad moves.

Go Cubs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
walkrman5 wrote:
Every time I watch anything related to the 2016 World Series....One of the things it continues to confirm for me, is just how bad Joe Maddon managed in game 7 particularly. Hopefully he learns, and doesn't act so desperate if the Cubs are lucky/good enough to find themselves in a similar position over the next few years.

He made questionable decisions in games 5,6, & 7. I know, I know...the Cubs did win for the first time in "forever"...so the man gets his due. That still doesn't change my mind that he made bad moves.

Go Cubs.

He made bad moves . Heyward saved his bacon.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:11 am 

walkrman5 wrote:

Go Cubs.

This post is not a troll on the Cubs.

There was a reason the Rays were not overly upset that he walked. Joe gets the reputation of genius because he isn't the typically monosyllabic, monotone manager. When you really listen to him speak though, he sounds like a middle manager after a motivational meeting spewing out corporate jargon to the people he manages.

I'm sure Tony Robbins sounds brilliant at first blush before you realize he just took you for $100.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:46 am 

good dolphin wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

Go Cubs.

There was a reason the Rays were not overly upset that he walked. Joe gets the reputation of genius because he isn't the typically monosyllabic, monotone manager. When you really listen to him speak though, he sounds like a middle manager after a motivational meeting spewing out corporate jargon to the people he manages.

I'm sure Tony Robbins sounds brilliant at first blush before you realize he just took you for $100.

We'll see what happens. I certainly lost a little faith in the guy. I thought he was great during the season, and didn't notice anything glaring in the other playoff series.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:04 am 

walkrman5 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

Go Cubs.

We'll see what happens. I certainly lost a little faith in the guy. I thought he was great during the season, and didn't notice anything glaring in the other playoff series.

I think that gets to the point that the manager's importance, even the best of them, is negligible.

Not only is their impact negligible, their intelligence in the general population is probably average. I would think the only one with superior intelligence is Girardi.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:12 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I think that gets to the point that the manager's importance, even the best of them, is negligible.

Not only is their impact negligible, their intelligence in the general population is probably average. I would think the only one with superior intelligence is Girardi.

I generally agree that managers are more likely to be overrated when a team is performing well, and blamed to much when a team is losing.

That said, there are skills in managing, in game strategy, season long strategy, managing personalities, etc. It's preposterous to think all managers are the same.

That said, Maddon is doing something right, .517 winning percentage with the Rays, and .619 with the Cubs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:23 pm 

One Post wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I generally agree that managers are more likely to be overrated when a team is performing well, and blamed to much when a team is losing.

That said, there are skills in managing, in game strategy, season long strategy, managing personalities, etc. It's preposterous to think all managers are the same.

That said, Maddon is doing something right, .517 winning percentage with the Rays, and .619 with the Cubs.

He caught the Cubs at the right time. He would not have been any better or worse as a manager had he been there in the early days of the rebuild resulting in a worse winning percentage.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:47 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
One Post wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

He caught the Cubs at the right time. He would not have been any better or worse as a manager had he been there in the early days of the rebuild resulting in a worse winning percentage.

So his nine years in TB are meaningless?

The fact that the Cubs are a talented team doesn't mean that Maddon isn't a good manager.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
what we don't know about Rondon is crazy...Strop either. I fired on Joe at the time but with the time that has elapsed, I wonder...was Rondon injured still? Was his confidence too low? Same thing with Strop. I'd not be at all shocked to see both these guys leave this season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:16 pm 

One Post wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
One Post wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

So his nine years in TB are meaningless?

The fact that the Cubs are a talented team doesn't mean that Maddon isn't a good manager.

Correct. Nor does a talented team winning mean he is a good manager. Which brings us back to manager impact.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:43 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Correct. Nor does a talented team winning mean he is a good manager. Which brings us back to manager impact.

Right, just because manager impact is probably overrated to the good and the bad, doesn't mean that there aren't good and bad managers.

Are managers probably overrated? Yes. Does this make Joe Maddon a bad manager? No.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:46 am 

One Post wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Right, just because manager impact is probably overrated to the good and the bad, doesn't mean that there aren't good and bad managers.

Are managers probably overrated? Yes. Does this make Joe Maddon a bad manager? No.

Agreed 100%.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Heard he may be going back to the pitcher batting 8th crap. Not good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:26 am 

good dolphin wrote:
There was a reason the Rays were not overly upset that he walked.

Yes, clearly they weren't upset at all, as evidenced by them pressuring major league baseball into a tampering investigation against the Cubs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:36 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Yes, clearly they weren't upset at all, as evidenced by them pressuring major league baseball into a tampering investigation against the Cubs.

Odd that you would use an example that doesn't prove your point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
http://www.csnchicago.com/video/reign-men-story-behind-game-7-2016-world-series-0

For those that missed it ... such as myself ... just under 49 minutes long.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:48 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

To suggest that Rays weren't (openly)mad he walked is absurd.

o·vert·ly
ōˈvərtlē,ˈōvərtlē/
adverb
without concealment or secrecy; openly.

What more can an organization do, to OPENLY show their displeasure, than pressure MLB for tampering charges against the team that sign him?,

Last edited by Caller Bob on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 am 

Maddon had a couple of brain farts on the biggest stage last year and the Cubs STILL won. I know it's (bad) trolling, but your bit on Maddon is silly and stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:31 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

To suggest that Rays weren't (openly)mad he walked is absurd.

o·vert·ly
ōˈvərtlē,ˈōvərtlē/
adverb
without concealment or secrecy; openly.

What more can an organization do, to OPENLY show their displeasure, than pressure MLB for tampering charges against the team that sign him?,

Make a counter offer?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:33 am 

The Rays made the tampering claim because they saw an opportunity to gain a draft pick or player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
I too suffer from some mental illness that makes me believe that Joe Maddon has no more impact on a team and their success than, say, Bryan Price, Pete Mackanin, Walt Weiss, or Ricky Renteria.