It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:22 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
I think some of the military bases that have been redeveloped have done a pretty nice job

Fort Sheridan has some nice houses but imagine living there and having to explain to other North Shorers that you live in the really really nice part of Highwood.

The Glen seems pleasant, haven't really explored it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:22 pm 

But really Rick, I'm glad you enjoy your illogically planned and aesthetically unpleasing living situation. We should all be happy with where we live.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
NWI had squandered all their downtown areas, especially north Lake county. Downtown Hammond is a mess and Downtown Gary is a war zone if you stray 2 blocks from the train station, or the ballpark. I think the closest to being a functional residential downtown is Whiting because the town is the size of a football stadium :lol: :lol: But they have Perogi Fest so that's an automatic winner.

Only now are some communities starting to bring them back. Crown Point and Valpo have nice little downtown areas but they aren't for living. Its for having dinner, a few drinks and then driving back home. Both of those have the courthouse as their main feature though. Griffith has done a lot too, a cool barcade and three very good breweries (although one isn't really in the true "downtown" area).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:26 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
But really Rick, I'm glad you enjoy your illogically planned and aesthetically unpleasing living situation. We should all be happy with where we live.
I can promise you that my area was more planned out than a large part of the city that was basically just done randomly prior to a great fire and even then you can't drive your car for multiple hours twice a day. Enjoy your walking to get food!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:27 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
NWI had squandered all their downtown areas, especially north Lake county. Downtown Hammond is a mess and Downtown Gary is a war zone if you stray 2 blocks from the train station, or the ballpark. I think the closest to being a functional residential downtown is Whiting because the town is the size of a football stadium :lol: :lol: But they have Perogi Fest so that's an automatic winner.

Only now are some communities starting to bring them back. Crown Point and Valpo have nice little downtown areas but they aren't for living. Its for having dinner, a few drinks and then driving back home. Both of those have the courthouse as their main feature though. Griffith has done a lot too, a cool barcade and three very good breweries (although one isn't really in the true "downtown" area).
That's the best part. Having a yard and a garage doesn't mean you are banned from those areas.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:33 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I can promise you that my area was more planned out than a large part of the city that was basically just done randomly prior to a great fire and even then you can't drive your car for multiple hours twice a day. Enjoy your walking to get food!

OK.

Was that the discussion?

The new urbanism, which is essentially what we are talking about, is a plan to rid us of the two hour drive caused by the bad (I'd call it indulgent) planning of the past.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I think some of the military bases that have been redeveloped have done a pretty nice job

Fort Sheridan has some nice houses but imagine living there and having to explain to other North Shorers that you live in the really really nice part of Highwood.

Going to The Glen for dinner tonight. I like how they saved the facade of the old Naval station.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:36 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
NWI had squandered all their downtown areas, especially north Lake county. Downtown Hammond is a mess and Downtown Gary is a war zone if you stray 2 blocks from the train station, or the ballpark.

The weirdest to me is that the South Shore Line runs to South Bend's airport on the edge of town (there's an airport on the e-e-e-e-edge of toooowwn...) instead of into downtown where people could probably make better use of a train station. You could maybe even walk to Notre Dame for games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Going to The Glen for dinner tonight. I like how they saved the facade of the old Naval station.

Gonna stop by Costco for free samp...I mean appetizers?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:39 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

OK.

Was that the discussion?

The new urbanism, which is essentially what we are talking about, is a plan to rid us of the two hour drive caused by the bad (I'd call it indulgent) planning of the past.
You said where I live was illogically planned. I'm saying that it was better planned out than a large majority of the city you live in and that is even with a huge fire that was basically a reset button for many areas.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:40 pm 

Chicago was exceptionally well-planned after the fire, the hell are you on about

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Kirkwood wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Gonna stop by Costco for free samp...I mean appetizers?

:lol: :lol:

My nephews tell stories about how my brother used to take them their for "lunch" on Saturdays.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst and Wheaton all have well planned downtown areas. And all three are areas that continue to grow residentially and commercially.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:45 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

OK.

Was that the discussion?

You said where I live was illogically planned. I'm saying that it was better planned out than a large majority of the city you live in and that is even with a huge fire that was basically a reset button for many areas.

You have it wrong. I'm not defending old Chicago and suburban planning. Chicago is aggressively correcting poor planning of the past. You seem to be very happy to maintain the poor planning status quo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Chicago was exceptionally well-planned after the fire, the hell are you on about
There is still a lot of problems with living in Chicago. You just pretend they aren't problems with things like "People shouldn't drive cars anyways".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Curious Hair wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
NWI had squandered all their downtown areas, especially north Lake county. Downtown Hammond is a mess and Downtown Gary is a war zone if you stray 2 blocks from the train station, or the ballpark.

The weirdest to me is that the South Shore Line runs to South Bend's airport on the edge of town (there's an airport on the e-e-e-e-edge of toooowwn...) instead of into downtown where people could probably make better use of a train station. You could maybe even walk to Notre Dame for games.

I never understood that either. It should be a moneymaker to have people ride the train out for ND games. Maybe it is already and they just get cabs at the airport.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:52 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
You have it wrong. I'm not defending old Chicago and suburban planning. Chicago is aggressively correcting poor planning of the past. You seem to be very happy to maintain the poor planning status quo.
What are you talking about?

My area was designed with a lot of public parks, easy driving to concentrated areas of stores, numerous bike trails, and for those that require a decent public transportation option. No, I can't take a walk with a foldable shopping cart for groceries. I can get in my car and within 10 minutes drive up to and park easily at multiple different supermarkets.

If I feel like being in a "downtown" setting then I can get there in 15 minutes too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:10 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

My area was designed with a lot of public parks, easy driving to concentrated areas of stores, numerous bike trails, and for those that require a decent public transportation option. No, I can't take a walk with a foldable shopping cart for groceries. I can get in my car and within 10 minutes drive up to and park easily at multiple different supermarkets.

If I feel like being in a "downtown" setting then I can get there in 15 minutes too.

I'm talking about you calling a similar description a city, but worse.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:18 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'm talking about you calling a similar description a city, but worse.
Isn't that what we are talking about though? That picture you have there is basically trying to build a walkable city in the suburbs. That would look great in the city of Chicago where it makes sense. It would be dumb on it's own in a place like Arlington Heights.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:33 pm 

A lot of Arlington Heights is already walkable. Most of the city is on a grid, there are parks and schools in the neighborhoods, and you can walk to the Jewel on Vail and back if you don't mind a store where the aisles are like eight inches wide.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Quote:
The planned redevelopment of the infamous Taco Bell across from Wrigley Field is moving forward with a new design anchored by San Francisco-based climbing gym Planet Granite. Revised renderings of the project at 1111 W. Addison Street were posted on the website of 44th Ward Alderman Tom Tunney.

The updated glass and metal-clad design replaces the generic-looking marketing images first revealed in August. Penned by Chicago’s Hirsch MPG LLC, it consists of three stacked boxes, offset from one another to create outdoor terrace space on levels two and three. Large exterior graphics on the building’s east and west elevations would feature rock climbers in silhouette.

:lol:

It is Rosemont!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Curious Hair wrote:
A lot of Arlington Heights is already walkable. Most of the city is on a grid, there are parks and schools in the neighborhoods, and you can walk to the Jewel on Vail and back if you don't mind a store where the aisles are like eight inches wide.

That Jewel is fucking awful. To be fair, most Jewels are fucking awful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:12 am 

I think the whole Ricketts plan for Wrigleyville was a long con to destroy the bluest part of a blue state by robbing its neighborhoods of anything distinguishing it from Omaha.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:48 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
The Plaza, the hotel and all the other things that go into further profits, will only mean more money for payroll. Guys like Bryant, Schwarber and Russell are cheap now. But in 4 years when they are looking at free agency they won't be. The more streams of revenue that can be opened, the better.

This post was made about 5 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
How much is Russell making in the Mexican League?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
He gets more Pesos per home run than Bryan Lahair got in Yen per home run.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Jaw Breaker wrote:

He wanted to see Esther and ran into a few problems.

https://youtu.be/B2hulcU-2Gs

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Curious Hair wrote:

The second fire in 1874 really pushed the city on a better direction.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:03 am 

Brick wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
The Plaza, the hotel and all the other things that go into further profits, will only mean more money for payroll. Guys like Bryant, Schwarber and Russell are cheap now. But in 4 years when they are looking at free agency they won't be. The more streams of revenue that can be opened, the better.

This post was made about 5 years ago.

Elmhurst Steve would be considered centrist on the board these days.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:10 am 

I know the Cubs are planning more building in the near future. I wonder if people still think so highly of what they did in the neighborhood?

I think it was good to get rid of the old donut stand triangle. That was an odd eyesore.

I don't like the excessive signage inside and I really hate that they weren't able to better incorporate the roof lines across the street. There were ways they could have done it but their design seemed punitive against those people "stealing their product". Now they own most of the buildings and can't sell out the rooftops because they cut off their nose to spite their face.

The hotel and bland commercial across the street to the west is ridiculous. Boring architecture and the use isn't even that great. I'd love to know what the occupancy is in that place. Is anyone staying there for six months of the year?

I guess everything is cleaner and more orderly, if that is what floats your boat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next