It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:41 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Relevance? I'll be enjoying my 100 win team pound through another great season. Enjoy a 60 win season at arrow down park.
Sad.

JORR probably will go to more Cubs games than you too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: John's
I can't blame him. His only chance to see an actual professional baseball team in Chicago this year. Or maybe when some good teams visit arrow down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Every baseball discussion Bob joins, he has to involve the White Sox somehow. Pathetic.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

But no, I wouldn't say you enjoyed being a lovable loser, but it was your special identity that has now disappeared. Now you're like a Marlins fan. Congratulations!

Comparing a team that is well over 100 years old in the third largest market in the country with an expansion team that is 25 years old isn't even close to being relevant.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:56 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

But no, I wouldn't say you enjoyed being a lovable loser, but it was your special identity that has now disappeared. Now you're like a Marlins fan. Congratulations!

Comparing a team that is well over 100 years old in the third largest market in the country with an expansion team that is 25 years old isn't even close to being relevant.

Okay, so you're like a Pirates fan.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

What is the need to compare fandoms? I'm a Cubs fan. I always have been and always will be. If I didn't jump ship in the early/mid 90s when the Sox had awesome teams and were fun to watch, I'm not going to stop being a fan now. I wasn't a fan because of the losing, I was a fan because all my family was. I don't base my fandom on how ESPN reports about my teams.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

What is the need to compare fandoms? I'm a Cubs fan. I always have been and always will be. If I didn't jump ship in the early/mid 90s when the Sox had awesome teams and were fun to watch, I'm not going to stop being a fan now. I wasn't a fan because of the losing, I was a fan because all my family was. I don't base my fandom on how ESPN reports about my teams.

That's fine, but- and I'm not saying you specifically or ALL Cub fans (just in case RPB is reading)- it would be difficult to deny that MANY Cub fans want to tout the "specialness" of their favorite team. If the Cubs are just one of thirty teams, why is it special? It's not the great history of victory. (You did just sneer at an expansion team that has won twice as many World Series as the Cubs since they have been in existence.) So what is it that makes/made the Cubs special? The fact that they are a charter member of the NL? Okay. But it can really be boiled down to two things- losing and ballpark. Both are now gone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

GONE!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:25 am 

Cub fans clawing at relevance after their team was obliterated from newsworthiness by Trump

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:20 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
There will be no more tortured prose about the trials of Red Sox fans and Cub fans.

Good. We have more than our fair share. There had to be a payoff to it all eventually, and we finally got it. Where it goes from here, I don't know, but I don't mind one bit that the drought is finally over and I don't think five or ten years down the road I'll be saying "sure wish we hadn't won that World Series in 2016 because it'd be a whole lot bigger if they won it even later. I'm bored." I still wish they had won in 2008 instead.

Quote:
Unless you really think those franchises have some inherent greatness that people appreciate. Now the Cubs don't even have the special ballpark. We'll see what happens when they have a shitty team. Although I'm sure most of you think that will never happen.

I do agree with you here that they're overplaying their hand on the real estate side and what made Wrigley and Wrigleyville cool. There's a fine line between what the Cubs had and what lots of other teams have in an effort to replicate the Cubs. I think the Cubs are going to the wrong side of the line. Maybe it won't be so bad after all, but I'm skeptical.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Maybe it won't be so bad after all, but I'm skeptical.

I wouldn't call it "bad". I would just say the special experience of the antique ballpark in the middle of a residential neighborhood is being chipped away bit by bit. It will get to the point- if it hasn't already- where it's not as good as an actual modern park with regard to amenities and comfort for fans because with its limitations it simply can't be, while at the same time all the character and uniqueness of a 100 year old ballpark that made the lack of modern comforts very easy to ignore has been sapped right out of it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Quote:
I do agree with you here that they're overplaying their hand on the real estate side and what made Wrigley and Wrigleyville cool. There's a fine line between what the Cubs had and what lots of other teams have in an effort to replicate the Cubs. I think the Cubs are going to the wrong side of the line. Maybe it won't be so bad after all, but I'm skeptical.

The plaza will service Iowans and suburbians visitors. Everything will be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Holy Fuck, give this shit a rest already.

It's about time the Cubs have a modernized facility. The Cub fans who hated the idea of lights/night baseball, video boards, tasteful displays of advertising...all IDIOTS. I personally don't know anyone from this camp.

The shitty neighborhood is now nice, that's a good thing.

A hotel right there with a bar and other cool amenities, that's a good thing.

It's not going to stop being a neighborhood ballpark for the next century, unless: Armageddon.

If the park itself gets demolished, I would hope they replace it with a retractable domed stadium with touches of Wrigley. Grow ivy over a padded wall. If and when a replacement structure is built, we won't be alive to see it anyway.

This troll job just comes across as jealous, sour grapes from Sox fans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:50 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
I think it is about time to start ignoring any post that says things like this. It's old and tired.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
GoldenJet wrote:

This probably isn't true anymore. Crime rates in Lakeview are skyrocketing and the only reason they are still lower than they were 20 or so years ago is CPD no longer reports property crimes less than $500. For the Ricketts to situate baseball Disneyworld right in the middle of it is like leading sheep to a wolf pack. Also, CPD has steadily been taking officers out of Lakeview for the last 5 years (so much for the racist CPD only protects white people argument...) and will continue to do so in an effort to keep the shootings down in 2017. The immediate environs of the ballpark will be patrolled but get more than a block away and you'll be on your own.

Last edited by America on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

GoldenJet wrote:

I loved going to old Wrigley Field. Why would I be "jealous" that they're destroying everything good about it?

And I just spent last weekend with three Cub fans who have season tickets behind the plate who complained non-stop that the opener is a night game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I loved going to old Wrigley Field. Why would I be "jealous" that they're destroying everything good about it?

And I just spent last weekend with three Cub fans who have season tickets behind the plate who complained non-stop that the opener is a night game.

Because they'll miss WGN 9pm news.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:16 pm 

Well yeah...opening night at Wrigley is ridiculous because it's probably going to be miserable weather.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:27 pm 

America wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

This probably isn't true anymore. Crime rates in Lakeview are skyrocketing and the only reason they are still lower than they were 20 or so years ago is CPD no longer reports property crimes less than $500. For the Ricketts to situate baseball Disneyworld right in the middle of it is like leading sheep to a wolf pack. Also, CPD has steadily been taking officers out of Lakeview for the last 5 years (so much for the racist CPD only protects white people argument...) and will continue to do so in an effort to keep the shootings down in 2017. The immediate environs of the ballpark will be patrolled but get more than a block away and you'll be on your own.

Right...it's turning into Englewood.

You're an idiot.

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago ... /lake-view

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:04 pm 

This kids were bored so I took them to the kids expo in Schaumburg today. They are handing out white Sox tickets , free. No strings attached...I shit you not :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

Talk about the Sox more.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:11 pm 

I picked up 4. Since your broke Frank let me know if I can shoot them your way so you can see a game

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:

The plaza will service Iowans and suburbians visitors. Everything will be fine.

Kinda like lot lizards.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:04 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
This kids were bored so I took them to the kids expo in Schaumburg today. They are handing out white Sox tickets , free. No strings attached...I shit you not :lol:

Kids expo sounds like something that should be hosted in Thailand...or MSFMB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
good dolphin wrote:
Kids expo sounds like something that should be hosted in Thailand...or MSFMB

No need to worry dolphin. Mr. LaRoche is on the case.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:05 am 

The Plaza, the hotel and all the other things that go into further profits, will only mean more money for payroll. Guys like Bryant, Schwarber and Russell are cheap now. But in 4 years when they are looking at free agency they won't be. The more streams of revenue that can be opened, the better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:37 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
The Plaza, the hotel and all the other things that go into further profits, will only mean more money for payroll.

This seems simplistic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:38 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
The Plaza, the hotel and all the other things that go into further profits, will only mean more money for payroll.

This seems simplistic.

Well what did you expect?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:49 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Not that it is a thing for me but it really is a leap of faith for Cub fans. No matter what was said by management or claimed to be known by Bernsie there is no guarantee the owners will not pocket a great portion of the new revenue streams. They are not after all a charity.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:00 am 

It's just the insanity of following sports these days. Everything has to be seen as in service of making and thus spending more money. It's especially bad with the NHL because we know the salary cap is a function of leaguewide revenue. It could come out that the Ricketts family has been selling fourteen-year-old girls into slavery on private islands and a slice of the Cubs fanbase would be saying "this is how you stay competitive in modern baseball."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next