It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Was this Ricketts or Theo who brought the same idea to Boston?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:34 am 

I just love how I used to constantly hear from people in my pre-CSFMB/CFMB days how awesome Wrigley was because it was just about the baseball, there were almost no advertisements, no fireworks, no video board, and it was like you were watching a game as it has been done for the past 100 years.

Now, it's all about a "Starbucks Reserve Bar"!

Last edited by Brick on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I just love how I used to constantly here from people in my pre-CSFMB/CFMB days how awesome Wrigley was because it was just about the baseball, there were almost no advertisements, no fireworks, no video board, and it was like you were watching a game as it has been done for the past 100 years.

I'm still upset they added lights!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
jimmypasta wrote:
Was this Ricketts or Theo who brought the same idea to Boston?

I am not certain of more modern renovations or monetizing but I recall it being well before Theo. My first trip to Fenway was in 1989? And they closed the street and owned the stores across the street then.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:45 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I just love how I used to constantly hear from people in my pre-CSFMB/CFMB days how awesome Wrigley was because it was just about the baseball, there were almost no advertisements, no fireworks, no video board, and it was like you were watching a game as it has been done for the past 100 years.

Ya, because no one on here ever talked about wanting video boards, and no one on here ever talked about wanting better facilities, and no one on here ever said "screw chicago & the politics" and go build a new wrigley field in rosemont / the burbs. ya, that never happened. It was all about keeping wrigley "pristine".

Keep creating your own narratives!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:49 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
walkrman5 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Ya, because no one on here ever talked about wanting video boards, and no one on here ever talked about wanting better facilities, and no one on here ever said "screw chicago & the politics" and go build a new wrigley field in rosemont / the burbs. ya, that never happened. It was all about keeping wrigley "pristine".

Here's a narrative. The Cubs used to be special losers with a special ballpark. You're not special anymore but you want to act like you still are.

https://youtu.be/3sWTnsemkIs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:00 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
walkrman5 wrote:
no one on here ever said "screw chicago & the politics" and go build a new wrigley field in rosemont / the burbs.
Scorehead did.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:01 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Here's a narrative. The Cubs used to be special losers with a special ballpark. You're not special anymore but you want to act like you still are.

Ya...you've been trying to sell that one for a few years now huh? Now Cubs fans aren't special anymore because their team finally won a world series? Ha fucking ha. You are a dumb fuck. Told you before and I'll tell you again...it was always about hope..not about the losing. I'll make a wager that every true Cubs fan HOPES their team wins it all again this year....and next...and next. I remember your stupid analogy about dog races and chasing the rabbit and what happens when the dog catches the rabbit? Guess what....when they release the next rabbit, the dogs will chase that one as well and try to catch it just the same. Being a Cubs fan and part of a Cubs family has always been special to me and it always will be. I would assume it is the same for Sox fans, and fans of other teams too...but frankly I don't give a shit about that.

Jealous Jorr is back baby!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:03 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
no one on here ever said "screw chicago & the politics" and go build a new wrigley field in rosemont / the burbs.
Scorehead did.

That's my point! There were other who weren't against it either. I didn't care..but I wanted upgrades / video boards, etc...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:03 am 

walkrman5 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Are you saying no one ever said those things? Maybe you thought Wrigley was bad because it didn't have ads all over the place, no video board, and didn't have an outdoor park for wine festivals and folk music but in my experience a lot of people did.

Did you think Wrigley sucked in 2005?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:05 am 
100000 CLUB

walkrman5 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Scorehead did.

That's my point! There were other who weren't against it either. I didn't care..but I wanted upgrades / video boards, etc...
You posted that "nobody ever said..." and then you agreed with me that there were people who did think it was all about the ballpark. Talk about false narratives...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yeah the Red Sox are nothing now after winning the WS. In fact, I rarely even hear about them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:06 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Scorehead did.

You posted that "nobody ever said..." and then you agreed with me that there were people who did think it was all about the ballpark. Talk about false narratives...

I think Frank's sarcasm meter is broken.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 am 
100000 CLUB

Not really. You can never tell what the hell is going on with walkrman.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:08 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yeah the Red Sox are nothing now after winning the WS. In fact, I rarely even hear about them.

Do you hear anymore stories about them being lovable or darlings? Or do you hear about them being stone cold baseball business killers?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:12 am 

pittmike wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Do you hear anymore stories about them being lovable or darlings? Or do you hear about them being stone cold baseball business killers?

Are you under the impression that the fans enjoyed being lovable losers? I want to be talked about like the Yankees and Red Sox. Those are 'special' franchises. I don't need the Cubs to be called loveable anything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:12 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Scorehead did.

My point I am trying to make...albeit badly I guess....is that there were Cubs fans on both sides of the issue. Those that said leave it be...no signs, no video boards...day games only, etc....and then there were those who said fix up wrigley with video boards ads, whatever...and also those who said screw wrigley & chicago and just move.

Personally I didn't care about Wrigley Field and what they did with it or without it. I wanted some upgrades, video boards, etc...but most of my Cubs life has been spent wanting a better team.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:13 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Not really. You can never tell what the hell is going on with walkrman.

Seriously? I think I'm a pretty easy read. I am getting older though so who knows...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

There's no doubt the Red Sox fan base has lost something though. They are no longer the noble losers who came so close time and time again only to have their hearts broken. Now they're just another team trying to build a legacy like the Yankees have which is something they will never do.

There will be no more tortured prose about the trials of Red Sox fans and Cub fans. Unless you really think those franchises have some inherent greatness that people appreciate. Now the Cubs don't even have the special ballpark. We'll see what happens when they have a shitty team. Although I'm sure most of you think that will never happen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:16 am 
100000 CLUB

walkrman5 wrote:
My point I am trying to make...albeit badly I guess....is that there were Cubs fans on both sides of the issue. Those that said leave it be...no signs, no video boards...day games only, etc....and then there were those who said fix up wrigley with video boards ads, whatever...and also those who said screw wrigley & chicago and just move.

Personally I didn't care about Wrigley Field and what they did with it or without it. I wanted some upgrades, video boards, etc...but most of my Cubs life has been spent wanting a better team.
:lol: Then you absolutely should not have posted phrases like, "no that never happened", "nobody here ever said", and "false narratives"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:17 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

:lol: Then you absolutely should not have posted phrases like, "no that never happened", "nobody here ever said", and "false narratives"

It was literally clear to everyone but you what he was driving at.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Hank Scorpio wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Are you under the impression that the fans enjoyed being lovable losers? I want to be talked about like the Yankees and Red Sox. Those are 'special' franchises. I don't need the Cubs to be called loveable anything.

First off, comparing the Red Sox to the Yankees is silly. Where is stoneroses when you need him?

But no, I wouldn't say you enjoyed being a lovable loser, but it was your special identity that has now disappeared. Now you're like a Marlins fan. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:18 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

hence the sarcasm. sorry you missed it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: John's
White Sux fans sure know about being irrelevant. We shall see in ten years, when the current young core has moved on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:25 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
White Sux fans sure know about being irrelevant. We shall see in ten years, when the current young core has moved on.

It is possible that in 25 years I will be fishing in my retirement pond and many will be talking about these Cubs like the 85 Bears are discussed now.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:26 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
There's no doubt the Red Sox fan base has lost something though. They are no longer the noble losers who came so close time and time again only to have their hearts broken. Now they're just another team trying to build a legacy like the Yankees have which is something they will never do.

There will be no more tortured prose about the trials of Red Sox fans and Cub fans. Unless you really think those franchises have some inherent greatness that people appreciate. Now the Cubs don't even have the special ballpark. We'll see what happens when they have a shitty team. Although I'm sure most of you think that will never happen.
MANY on here argued that Game 7 was the greatest baseball game ever played based mostly on the significance of what it meant to win it.

Yeah, but they didn't lose anything by finally winning one. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:29 am 

pittmike wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

It is possible that in 25 years I will be fishing in my retirement pond and many will be talking about these Cubs like the 85 Bears are discussed now.

Good chance. The 2005 White Sox are already approaching that. Considering they have been shit ever since, just like the 85 Bears

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:33 am 

Seeing Caller Bob struggle for relevance is sad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seeing Caller Bob struggle for relevance is sad.

Yep. The Caller Bob Era was very short-lived.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:40 am 

Relevance? I'll be enjoying my 100 win team pound through another great season. Enjoy a 60 win season at arrow down park.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next