It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:37 am 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
I wonder how much more Gerrit Cole would cost versus guys like Archer, Quintana, or Gray.

Gray is fragile and I believe a free agent next year so he should cost the least but bring the most risk. Also, while he would cost the least the price would still be significant.

The Pirates are a difficult organization to trade with and I expect they will be looking for a Sale level of trade value.

You have to expect that any significant starter is going to cost you Jimenez (and most likely ++). Don't bother to read the local experts who think the world is salivating to get Baez in exchange for their top pitcher...and Candalerio isn't going to be a centerpiece for any of those top guys either.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:02 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
I wonder how much more Gerrit Cole would cost versus guys like Archer, Quintana, or Gray.

Gray is fragile and I believe a free agent next year so he should cost the least but bring the most risk. Also, while he would cost the least the price would still be significant.

The Pirates are a difficult organization to trade with and I expect they will be looking for a Sale level of trade value.

You have to expect that any significant starter is going to cost you Jimenez (and most likely ++). Don't bother to read the local experts who think the world is salivating to get Baez in exchange for their top pitcher...and Candalerio isn't going to be a centerpiece for any of those top guys either.

If the year we are living in is 2019, then yes Gray will be a FA next year.

He can't stay healthy though, no question about that. Also he's not a big guy so, correctly or not, people tend to go with the narrative that those guys break down sooner.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Ron Wolfley wrote:

Would have to pay the additional "Division" tax I'd assume.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:23 pm 

Carrie Muskat‏Verified account
@CarrieMuskat

Heyward expects to be activated Saturday. No pain at all during 3 at bats on Thursday. #Cubs

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
FWIW Gammons said he thinks that Archer will not be traded.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:03 pm 

Courtesy of MLBtraderumors.com

The Cubs have designated righty Jake Buchanan, per a club announcement. His 40-man spot will go to lefty Zac Rosscup, whose contract was selected. In a corresponding move, right-hander Dylan Floro was optioned to Triple-A.

Buchanan, 27, has seen limited MLB action in each of the past three seasons. He landed in Chicago early last year after he was released by the Astros. Buchanan had been working at Triple-A to open the 2017 campaign, posting a 4.75 ERA with 6.3 K/9 against 4.1 BB/9 over 41 2/3 innings.

As for Rosscup, he’ll return to the majors for the first time since 2015. He spent all of 2016 rehabbing after shoulder surgery, but had shown well thus far at Triple-A. Through 15 2/3 innings over nine appearances, Rosscup owns a 3.45 ERA with an impressive combination of 25 strikeouts against just three walks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:38 pm 

Courtesy of bleachernation.com

Peter Gammons was on Mully and Hanley on 670 The Score, discussing Kris Bryant’s contractual future with the Cubs, and he was asked about how the contract for Harper could have an impact on the price tier for Bryant if the Cubs wanted to extend him.

Gammons gave his thoughts on that, and then threw a tantalizing, unexpected curveball: “I have people tell me that Bryce Harper, really, would prefer to play for the Cubs.”

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Matches Malone wrote:
Courtesy of bleachernation.com

Peter Gammons was on Mully and Hanley on 670 The Score, discussing Kris Bryant’s contractual future with the Cubs, and he was asked about how the contract for Harper could have an impact on the price tier for Bryant if the Cubs wanted to extend him.

Gammons gave his thoughts on that, and then threw a tantalizing, unexpected curveball: “I have people tell me that Bryce Harper, really, would prefer to play for the Cubs.”

Now, that would be incredible. Harper and Bryant are buddies...but this would happen after 2018, if at all...unless Washington trades him sooner.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm 

Patrick Mooney ✔@CSNMooney

#Cubs putting Wade Davis on the paternity list and will add Dylan Floro to bullpen tonight vs. #Marlins.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:51 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Jesus, Wade, your wife had the baby, not you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:03 pm 

Courtesy of MLBtraderumors.com

The Cubs have place right-hander Kyle Hendricks on the 10-day disabled list due to tendinitis in his right hand and selected the contract of fellow right-hander Seth Frankoff from Triple-A, the team announced to reporters (Twitter links via Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune).

Left-hander Mike Montgomery will start tomorrow in place of Hendricks, whose DL stint is expected to be rather minimal, per Gonzales. The team will announce a corresponding 40-man roster move before tonight’s game but did not provide one at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:19 am 

Left-hander Brett Anderson has been moved to the 60-day disabled list to clear a spot on the roster for Frankoff. There’s been no setback for Anderson, ESPN’s Chicago’s Jesse Rogers notes (Twitter link). However, Anderson’s already been on the shelf for roughly a month and wouldn’t be ready to return within 60 days of his initial DL placement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Jeimer hit a tater. Showcase is a success. Move him for Chris Archer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
IMU wrote:
Jeimer hit a tater. Showcase is a success. Move him for Chris Archer.

:lol:

Your trolling is pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:19 pm 

Word on Verlander is he'd take a deal to a contender. (Insert Cubs not contender jokes here.)

He's on the hook for 28MM per for two more years. Jake is gone next year, that's 15M off the books and at this point looks like Lackey is a goner also after this year, another 16M there. So Verlander in and those two out is a wash for next year's roster construction (albeit swapping one guy for two.)

Verlander isn't as sharp this year but the price in term of prospects is probably lower if the Cubs take the whole contract, which they probably are able to. Gives the Cubs a more viable arm in the rotation this year and helps solve the rotation puzzle for next season.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I wouldn't touch Verlander.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
One Post wrote:
Word on Verlander is he'd take a deal to a contender. (Insert Cubs not contender jokes here.)

He's on the hook for 28MM per for two more years. Jake is gone next year, that's 15M off the books and at this point looks like Lackey is a goner also after this year, another 16M there. So Verlander in and those two out is a wash for next year's roster construction (albeit swapping one guy for two.)

Verlander isn't as sharp this year but the price in term of prospects is probably lower if the Cubs take the whole contract, which they probably are able to. Gives the Cubs a more viable arm in the rotation this year and helps solve the rotation puzzle for next season.

I'll take him. Especially if Rays want to hold onto Archer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:26 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I'd rather have Gerrit Cole.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:30 am 

Grin reported a couple of days ago that the Cubs had to take on another 65 million in debt to cover the purchase of rooftops. They aren't as awash in cash as some believe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:41 am 

Ron Wolfley wrote:

I don't think you understand my post.

I mean, I'd rather have Corey Kluber, but...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:43 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Grin reported a couple of days ago that the Cubs had to take on another 65 million in debt to cover the purchase of rooftops. They aren't as awash in cash as some believe

Yeah, they are awash in cash, 65MM of it to be exact.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:46 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
good dolphin wrote:

They basically consolidated the debt they inherited when they purchased the properties.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:58 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
One Post wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

I don't think you understand my post.

I mean, I'd rather have Corey Kluber, but...

:lol: I'll take Verlander too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
I'm sure they're doing their due diligence on Verlander, but stats this year are of a #3 guy at best, so even if the cost in prospects is low, 28M per year through 2019 is a big risk. And I doubt DET will give him away in tyerms of eating half that salary.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:11 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:
I'm sure they're doing their due diligence on Verlander, but stats this year are of a #3 guy at best, so even if the cost in prospects is low, 28M per year through 2019 is a big risk. And I doubt DET will give him away in tyerms of eating half that salary.

He'd be no worse than the Cubs #2 starter right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:22 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
'77Cubs wrote:

Lackey blows, he's making 18 this year and last year.. He's basically our new lackey with a much higher ceiling.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
Remember this guy from the Hendry regime? Could he be this years C J Edwards??

Brett Taylor RetweetedScott Kornberg‏ @ScottKornberg 29m29 minutes ago

Scott Kornberg Retweeted Patrick Mooney

96-101 mph FB, two breaking balls that spin more than 3,000 rpm... Stuff is insane. EXTREMELY intelligent guy. Could reach Wrigley in 2017

Scott Kornberg added,
Patrick MooneyVerified account @CSNMooney
#Cubs planning to promote Dillon Maples to Triple-A Iowa after dominating Double-A hitters (28 Ks in 13+ IP). Intriguing story/arm to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Dillon Maples walks about 5 guys per inning.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:54 pm 

wouldn't be surprised if the Padres flipped Wood to the Cubs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Saw an alert this afternoon from Bleacher Report. They are reporting that Yu Darvish has the Cubs and Red Sox on his list of 10 teams he cannot be traded to. Why would that be? He hates Theo?

-Ronald Reagan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next